Following on from our feature on Women In Audio and inviting Terri Winston onto the podcast, the Women's Audio Mission has just launched an Indigogo campaign to raise funds to support WAM's attendance at the 143rd Audio Engineering Society Convention (AES) in New York City to represent and recruit talented women in audio.
We know it's a worthwhile cause and hope you agree and will support WAM in this. Find out more on the Women's Audio Mission page on Indigogo.
What is WAM?
Women's Audio Mission is a San Francisco-based, non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of women in music production and the recording arts. In a field where women are critically under-represented (less than 5%), WAM is "changing the face of sound" by training over 1,500 women and girls in a year in music technology and media production in the only professional recording studio built and run entirely by women and girls. WAM believes that women's mastery of music technology and inclusion in the production process will expand the vision and voice of media and popular culture.
Why Send WAM to AES?
The Audio Engineering Society Convention (AES) is the largest gathering of audio professionals in the world, with over 18,000 attendees, uniting engineers, creative artists, scientists and students worldwide.
It's also the most important event of the year for WAM. WAM reaches the largest number of women in audio at AES, from new students to industry veterans. AES allows WAM to connect women to their programs and help them with networking, internships, jobs, and more!
WAM has attended the conference every year since 2004. AES generously donates a booth to us every year, so WAM can provide a place for women to connect, network, and get hooked into WAM's programs and services. But first, they need to get their WAM team to New York and that's where you come in.
Why WAM Needs to be at AES This Year
- The WAM Booth provides a critical "home-base" for women attendees to meet, connect, and network with other women and industry professionals;
- AES is the best event for us to reach the largest amount of women in audio and get them involved in WAM's programs and services, increasing their chances of graduating from audio programs and getting into audio careers;
- WAM provides students with a gateway into the conference, offering student-tailored guides, tips, career/educational guidance, and encouragement;
- WAM recruits new interns from all over the country at the AES conference (in the past, interns from the UK, Thailand, Indiana, Georgia, and more!)
- 30,000+ WAM supporters, members, and women in audio will be connected to the 143rd AES Convention through WAM's social media channels full of updates, videos, and tech coverage from the conference!
What WAM Need
WAM needs to raise funds to cover travel, accommodation and booth expenses and because WAM is a small nonprofit with a small budget, any help at all that you can provide would be appreciated immensely by them. Here's what we need to get there:
- Hotel Accommodations for 7 people for 5 days: $3,200
- Booth Staff: $1,800
- Airfare and Transportation: $2,400
- Booth Furniture/Electrical Costs: $400
- Total: $7,800