Editorial & Review Policy
In 2009 the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) updated it’s guide to bloggers regarding endorsments, opinions and reviews in the light of brand relationships. That all sound like legal speak, but to put it simply, it has been put in place to ensure that the reader of any blog or similar site is aware of any relationships the site may have with brands in the light of editorial comments and reviews. We think it is important to be as transparent as possible so we have written this guide in an effort to make our readers aware of this.
From time to time we are supplied (normally for a limited time) product to review. If you were unaware this is standard policy and practise for all magazines and web sites who review products; the term is often called NFR (Not For Resale) product.
- Our editorial policy is clear, any revenues earned from brands will not influence our editorial content.
- We do not endorse product based on either, complimentary product supplied, on placement of advertising or sponsorship, or if we work with a supplier on a project either paid or on a voluntary basis.
- If you are a manufacturer or supplier, please be advised that our reviews are impartial and you should not supply review product or place advertising expecting anything else.
- If you are a reader, please be assured that your experience is paramount in our minds, if a product is good then we will tell you, or if not then we will explain why we think so.
- Reviews are not an endorsement or a warranty implied or otherwise.
- For both end user and manufacturer we promise to be fair to the best of our ability. If you are a manufacturer and you think we have been inaccurate, please email us and we will try and put inaccuracies right.
This industry is very small (there is more turnover per annum in the fresh tomato industry) and much of what takes place is based upon relationships. In a further effort to be transparent to the community we want to disclose that we have relationships (this can be anything from the fact that we’ve had a few drinks with them, to being Facebook friends) in some cases we have been engaged by them in a professional capacity;
- Absolute Music
- AIR Music Tech
- Groove 3
- IMS Pro AV
- Jigsaw AV
- Line 6
- Music Tech Magazine
- Munro Acoustics
- Native Instruments
- Scrub HHB
- SE Electronics
- Sonic Distribution
- Sound on Sound
- Source Connect
- Synchro Arts
We’ll update this list as and when it is necessary.
We are also BETA testers for several brands, but our NDA forbids us from speaking about this.
Other magazines and web sites may have similar policies so check with them about their exact arrangements and industry connections if you have any concerns.