In this video review for Production Expert, Pro Tools Expert Technical Editor James Ivey takes a look at the new LCT540 Subzero (540S in the UK and Europe) 1-inch condenser capsule microphone by Lewitt. In this review James shows you some of the key features of the 540S then lets you hear how it sounds on drum overheads and nylon and steel string acoustic guitars in a short demo track.
Lewitt LCT540S (Subzero) Features
- 1" true condenser studio microphone with fixed cardioid polar pattern
- First and foremost designed to be an outstanding vocal microphone but this makes it a very flexible and usable mic for almost any application including field recording and instrument work
- Lewitt's Better Than Human Hearing" super low self-noise architecture
- Dynamic range 132 dB, Max SPL 136 dB
- Excellent transient response
- Integrated clipping indicator
- Switchable automatic attenuation
- Clipping history
- Low-cut filters at 80Hz and 160Hz
- Switchable pre-attenuation of -6dB and -12dB
The LCT 540S also features the Lewitt "Perfect Match Technology" which means every single LCT 540S undergoes a series of measurements followed by adjustment of the polarization voltage to achieve the same sensitivity in every LCT 540S. So if you buy an LCT 540S, you can add a second LCT 540S at any time and know you have a perfect matched pair. No need to hunt down consecutive serial numbers of test hundreds of mics.
You can find out more about the LCT540S and the other mics in the Lewitt range at the Lewitt website.