In this video review for Production Expert, Pro Tools Expert Technical Editor James Ivey takes a look at the new Neve 1073DPX two-channel mic preamp with EQ.
It could be said that the Neve 1073 is one of the most famous mic preamps in the world, know for adding punch and "life" to almost anything you run through it. This new updated version, the 1073DPX add some very nice monitoring features to bring this classic into the 21st Century.
As ever, James records a short track featuring Acoustic guitar, Bass, using the DI input on the 1073. Shaker and vocals. Other than a little plate reverb there is no processing applied to this track at the mix stage. What you are hearing is preamp tone and EQ applied at the tracking stage, which again goes to show that committing at the tracking stage is the way to go to create great sounding music.
1073 DPX Features
- 2 independent, Neve 1073 transformer-coupled microphone preamplifier / EQ circuits, in a single 2U 19″ rack mount enclosure
- Exclusive Neve Marinair transformers used on each input and output stage.
- Convenient connections for Mic, Line & DI inputs on the front of the unit, with switchable mic/line input connections on the rear of the unit
- Switchable +48v Phantom Power, Hi/Lo impedance, -20dB pad and DI ground lift on the input stage
- Switchable Phase, and EQ in/out
- Insert send and return loop feature allows external equipment to be connected easily to the 1073DPX audio chain, such as mono/stereo limiter/compressors;
- Pre-EQ insert send/return – a line level send is available from the mic-preamp output stage and a return just before the EQ stage
- Post-EQ insert send/return – a line level send is available from the post-EQ stage and a return just before the main output stage
- Independent channel output level controls
- 7-stage LED signal level meters for each channel – can show mic/line/DI input-stage level, EQ-stage level or output-stage level up to +24dB
- Headphone output with adjustable volume control, can listen to channel 1, channel 2 or both channels combined
- External multi-voltage PSU
- Optional Digital I/O module