L.A.-based Catalyst audio specializes in reproductions of modules from the original Buchla 100E synthesizer. Now, it should also known that after an uncertain couple of years, Buchla itself is back as Buchla USA, with its knobs under the very capable hands of synth guru Marc "Automatic Gainsay" Doty. But they're focused on synths like the Music Easel and newer 200-series modules, whereas Catalyst is focused on these classics. What's more, they're in Eurorack format and much more affordable than Buchla's current modules, which are super-premium. In the video below Dave from Catalyst walks us through their current and upcoming offerings.
To summarize, the top row includes:
- Model 158 dual sine/sawtooth oscillator, $449.
- Model 106 six-channel discrete mixer, $249
- Model 180 dual function generator (i.e. envelope), $299.
- Model 110 quad VCA/gate, $299.
The bottom row:
- Model 156V dual control voltage processor, $249.
- Model 144 square wave oscillator, $TBD.
- Model 192/194 hybrid, combining lowpass gate and four-band fixed filter bank, $TBD.
- Model 191 24dB-per-octave multi-mode filter, $TBD.
- Reverb module, name and price TBD.
The following video from Burbank retailer Perfect Circuit shows us a bit of this rig in action. If you've ever laid hands on a 100E system, these modules sound right!