Sound Designer Bobby Moen weaves layers of sound together to produce the sound of an archer shooting a bow and arrow in a new game Crowfall.
Learn how he uses sounds from some unusual sources, including a swarm of bees and the wringing of the sleeve on a leather jacket, as well as Whoosh 1.5.1 from Tonsturm to create all the components for the archer.
Bobby Moen has started by updating the placeholder sound effects that the Crowfall team had been using until he came aboard. Boobie explains...
Before release, we want to make sure each class gets a new official sound design pass to make sure everything is consistent, supports the gameplay and is free of bugs. So far I have worked on Assassin, Druid, Knight, and Confessor.
As part of his introduction to the Crowfall community, Bobby wanted to share some of his current work on the Ranger Character's bow and arrow as a good starting point since that piece of equipment is so crucial to the class’ identity.
Pooling from some unusual sources, including a swarm of bees and the wringing of the sleeve on a leather jacket, Bobby weaves layers of sound together to produce audio magic.
You can become part of the Crowfall community and Crowfall is currently in pre-alpha testing with more core features being added.
More On Whoosh From Tonstrum
Whoosh is a Native Instruments Reaktor Instrument and is now a Tonsturm product and it also now supports the NI Reaktor player too with the release of Whoosh V1.5.
- Built for the freely available REAKTOR PLAYER: WHOOSH is a third-party instrument that has been made specifically for REAKTOR PLAYER. It needs to be installed with Native Access. WHOOSH runs with the REAKTOR PLAYER & the full version of REAKTOR.
- Completely overhauled sample management: WHOOSH now offers 4 user banks for the source and impact samplers. You can now directly Drag & Drop your custom samples from your browser on to the interface. Differently compiled user banks can be saved with the WHOOSH user presets.
- Huge and expanded factory SFX library: WHOOSH now comes with over 390 expressive sound effects: Racing cars, flamethrowers, explosions, wild animals and a lot more!
- NKS support and updated MIDI functionality: WHOOSH now fully supports Native Instruments NKS format. Controlling WHOOSH from any Midi controller with it´s new Midi Setup function is a breeze.
- Overhauled synchronization features: WHOOSH can now precisely be synced to timecode (24 / 25 FPS), SecMsec and the hosts Beat Sync.
- Complex and but intuitive to use sound design engine: 4 Grain / Loop Samplers, 4 Impact Samplers, Wave Mixer, Doppler Engine and Post Effects
- Real-time control your whoosh SFX: In Manual mode, you can manually perform the powerful WHOOSH engine in real-time.
- Randomization features: All samplers feature a flexible randomization function.
- Comes with 100 Presets:100 diverse presets feature all styles of SFX that can be achieved through the powerful WHOOSH engine.
- Whoosh is built to be a true sound design instrument and enables you to create whoosh and pass-by effects. It has been created to enable you to design sounds varying from whistling wind whooshes to air ripping engine pass-bys or completely over the top granular sci-fi effects. The included doppler effects engine was designed from the ground up to the physical model the acoustic phenomena of an object that approaches, passes and recedes from an observer.
The individual playback engines, the source mixer and doppler engine can be manipulated in synchronized connection to each other. This makes it possible to playback the desired sound effect at different durations while remaining everything in perfect sync. Whoosh comes with an extensive onboard sample library licensed from leading sound effect recordists. It includes categories like wind, fire, racing car, jets, metal, water, wild animal and explosion effects.
Tilman Hahn has also told me that Whoosh has been used by sound designer Steven Ticknor on Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios Spider-Man: Homecoming and by audio director Nicholas Duveau for Ubisoft's Game For Honor.