In this Podcast Extra interview, Pro Tools Expert Technical Editor James Ivey talks to Producer, Mixing & Mastering Engineer Dax Liniere at his Puzzle Factory Sound Studio in North London that was recently built.
Australian Dax is clearly able to turn his hand to most things of a creative nature and the Puzzle Factory is clearly no exception. The fit and finish of this, believe it or not, self-built studio is stunning. The attention to detail in this studio is off the chart. Where Dax has not built a rack or desk or diffuser himself, he has had it custom made for this amazing facility.
In the interview, James and Dax talk about how he came to work in music and audio and how this lead to his move to the UK along with time spent at Studio La Fabrique in the South of France at Mix With The Masters.
- 00:00: Introduction
- 00:40: Tell us where you are from and a little about your musical background?
- 03:30: What caused the big move to the UK?
- 07:43: Did you come up through the "old school" studio system or did you do an audio-related qualification?
- 12:30: Would you agree that your Mix With The Master sessions where some of your most valuable studio learning experiences?
- 14:20: Tell us a little more about the studio and your studio build.
- 15:25: What do you want or need from a studio?
- 17:48: Tell us more about your studio monitors in both Control Rooms 1 and 2?
- 21:45: You're using Reaper as your DAW, tell us about how you came to it and what you love about it?
- 32:30: let's talk about the studio build and how it set about taking it on yourself.
- 34:20: Tell us about some of your other audio exploits including quest lecturing and your new seminar series Mix Direction?
- 38:40: Are you for or against using reference tracks with mixing or mastering?
- 47:03: Sign off.
Below you can see some of the studio build in progress.
You can see some images of the finished studio below.