Our friends at PureMix run regular mixing contests, offering the stems from a well known engineer and artist as learning materials. If you win the contest you can win a prize!
Closing on July 17th 2018, the current competition is linked to the video series we featured earlier this month Inside The Mix: The Lumineers with Ryan Hewitt
In pureMix's recent video Inside The Mix: The Lumineers With Ryan Hewitt, Ryan deconstructed his mix of the indie-folk hit song "Angela".
Ryan explained how he approached the radio mix, how the band arrived at the thoughtfully crafted arrangement, how he created the band's iconic vocal sound and crafted a sonic landscape that evolves as the song progresses from section to section.
Now it could be your turn to sit in Ryan’s chair and mix “Angela” from The Lumineers.
Best of all, you'll have the chance to ask Ryan your personal questions about the creation of this production on July 19th in PureMix's live Q&A session with Ryan.
This competition is open only to pureMix Pro Members. To get the stems of the song "Angela" simply go to the competition page to download the 24/96 stems of the session for a chance to win the following prizes:
- 1st place wins: An Apollo Twin MkII QUAD and the opportunity to be a guest on the follow-up Q&A Session with Ryan Hewitt, July 19th
- 2nd place wins: A Satellite OCTO
- 3rd place wins: a Satellite QUAD
The PureMix team offer some advice for anyone entering:
How To Win
Mixing is an art form, the winner will be chosen based on the judges' TASTE. There are no absolute rules. Don’t be upset if your version of this mix does not make it to the top.
The pureMix team will listen to ALL of the mixes and pick 3 winners.
Here are a couple tangible suggestions to carve your way to be the potential winning mixer:
- Make sure you send in the right song (Don’t laugh, it happens quite a bit)
- Don’t send the mentor’s original mix hoping that we won’t notice (Don’t laugh, it happens quite a bit)
- Make sure the vocal/drums/bass/guitars are not muted in your mix. Especially the lead vocal. (We think the production was quite nice and would love to hear all of it.)
- Don’t change the tempo/key/arrangement. This is a MIXING challenge.
- Louder is not better, we level match everything before we listen (You know who you are)
- Submit your mix before the deadline