Extent of the Jam has released Digits 2.0, a free software instrument based on the Casio CZ series of phase distortion synthesizers from the mid-1980s.
Free Software Instrument - Digits 2.0
Digits 2.0 is a phase distortion synthesizer that, according to Extent of the Jam's website, "takes this form of synthesis to the limit". Through its minimalistic user interface, the plugin lets you construct warm pads, glitchy sounds, dirty basses, filthy sweeps, screaming leads, and anything in-between.
Digits 2.0 comes with over 70 presets including Basses, Chords, Leads, Pads, Stabs and Sweeps.
New in Version 2.0
- 3 LFOs with more options such as optional repeat and 4 waveshapes
- Aftertouch and mod wheel mapping
- True lowpass filter with resonance (1, 2, 3 or 4 poles!)
- Analog-emulation chorus/flanger
- Harmonic bitcrush effect
- Rate and level scaling
- Full ADSR + fade envelopes
- Asymmetric pitchbend
- More voice modes such as PolyGlide, and MonoGlide
- Redesigned User Interface
Digits Audio Demo
The following audio demo has entirely been made using the Digits synth. No other synthesizers were used, and the only effects used were Reverb, Compression and EQ.
Download & Installing
You can download Digits 2.0 here.
After installation, the Digits manual and presets will be found in: /Applications/Digits. You can change the synth's presets by clicking on the grey buttons in the lower right corner of the synth's user interface.