I have stated my admiration for Output publicly here before. Their plug-ins are creatively designed and unique sounding. They are a youthful company not afraid to think outside the box and take chances. Their latest offering, Arcade, which has been in the works for two and a half years, breaks new ground not only for them but for the entire industry.
Their VP of marketing Joey Ng summarized it beautifully to me in a recent email:
Think of this as the Netflix for music makers but with insanely powerful tools to manipulate content until it sounds just like you.
Is your curiosity piqued? I know mine is. This is not simply another subscription service looking for sign-ups. Arcade is a playable loop synthesizer, with new content every day. The idea behind Arcade is to streamline workflow by eliminating endless folders and subfolders and websites from the search process when looking for content to work with.
Tempo and pitch locked loops are organized and available directly within the Arcade plug-in. The main interface is built around playable kits that contain curated loops. It also contains 11 effects, customizable sliders, advanced modulation. A unique mapping system that uses the black keys on your keyboard controller as modifiers makes it a great tool for real-time tweaking as the music is playing. The interface also allows for dragging and dropping your own loops or samples, so that you can manipulate them with all of Arcade’s creative tools.
Arcade is free for the first 100 days (that’s over three months!) and then $10 per month after that. With the promise of regular feature updates, product lines, and loop content, this looks to be a fantastic, stimulating, and continually evolving creative tool.
There’s more good news. If you cancel your subscription and then open an older session, you will be prompted to log in, but will not be able to get past the log in screen. The good news is that you will still be able to play back any MIDI or automation data recorded in your saved session. Your session will sound and play back exactly the same, you just won’t be able to browse sounds or tweak settings. The midi data on the track(s) can still be changed, as the preset stays loaded in a session, as long as you don’t uninstall Arcade. If you uninstall, it will remove all the audio samples.
So, there is really no risk in trying this out. If you fall in love, and then break up; you won’t have your heart broken. Or your session!
Learn more about Arcade here:
- Arcade is a software plugin that is compatible with all major recording programs
- Cloud browsing delivers new product lines, kits and loops directly within plug-in.
- User can add their own loops and samples by drag and drop
- New content available daily
- All audio locks to tempo and key
- 15-voice Loop synthesizer
- Transform loops on the fly with Output’s proprietary modifiers
- 11 effects, 4 sliders and deep modulation capabilities
- 15 channel mixer with 4 insert master bus and 2 bus sends
- Audio previewing in original and session tempo/key
- Search, browse and sort by tag to find quickly
- Offline mode enables use without internet
- Input Quantize for tightening live performances
Arcade Tech Specifications:
- OSX AU / VST / VST3 / AAX
- WIN VST / VST3 /AAX 32/64bit
- Compatible with all Major Digital Audio Workstation Software
- Internet Connected Fully Searchable Browser for Lines, Kits and Loops.
- Download any content based on Search or Tags/filters
- User Loops and User Kits access with same BPM and Key control as Factory
- Audio Preview and Favorite Function for Lines, Kits or Loops
- Descriptions for each Line, Kit or Loop
- Sorting and Tag Filters to find things fast.
Loop Voice (x15)
- Multimode Filter with Resonance and Gradual/Steep Curve
- Volume, Pan, Attack/Release and Loop Crossfade
- Speed Control (1/4, 1/2, x1, x2)
- Tune Control (+/- 24)
- Loop Playback (Reverse, Pendulum, Loop On/Off, Hold)
- FX Sends Pre/Post x2
- Modifier Block
- Sync On/Off
- BPM & Time signature Control
- Key Signature control
- Formant Pitch Control
- Efficient and High Quality Time/Pitch Stretching Mode
- Velocity Sens. (Filter Cutoff/Reso, Volume & Formant)
- ReSequence (16 steps with Volume, Mute, Reverse, Speed, Length and Attack Decay control per step)
- Playhead (Speed, Reverse, Loop On/Off, Cup Point per Loop)
- Repeater (Note Repeat with Rate, Reverse, Volume Step Sequencer)
- Session Key Control
- Play any kit or Loop in the user selected Key matching your song.
- Global Speed Control (1/2, x1, x2)
- Legato Option (play all loops in sync no matter when you trigger them)
- Input Quantize (assures loops will start and play in time)
- Voice Limit per kit
- Content Transfer to a custom location
- Helpful Links to online manual
- 15 Channel Mixer with Volume, Pan, Pre/Post Send FX(x2), Solo
- Send Bus (x2) with Volume, Pan and Mute
- 2 insert FX slots per Bus
- Master Bus with Volume, Pan, Mute and 4 Insert FX slots
- MultiTap Delay
- Stereo Delay
- Distortion Box
- LFO/Step (x2) Sync/Free mode with Retrigger and Rate.
- Waveshape Control
- Attack, Phase, Chaos and Polarity Control
Available today at Output
Free for the first 100 days
$10 per month after first 100 days