The BBC has recently made available it's sound effects library online to the public. This library consists of over 16,000 samples that can be downloaded free of charge. All the samples are WAV and have been tagged which makes it incredibly easy to search and find sound effects. These samples have been released under something called the RemArc licence meaning these cannot be used commercially. These samples can only be used in the following areas:
- Research purposes
Visit the BBC website to explore their massive collection of free sound effect samples.
- For non-commercial, personal or research purposes (For example: Including the content on a non-commercial, advertisement-free reminiscence website)
- For formal education purposes while you are a student or a member of staff of a school, college or university (For example: If you are enrolled in a university or college course, or if you are a school pupil, or you are a teacher and you wish to display the content on an electronic whiteboard, including images in a printed class worksheet)
Using BBC Content For Business
When you need permission
If you’re intending to use it for any other purpose, for example:
- Substantially to do your job – as an employee, contractor or consultant
- For commercial purposes – to make a profit
- For non-profit and government organisations you’ll need to get our permission first, and you might have to pay a fee.
For more information visit the BBC website to read the full RemArc licence.