Mike, James and Dan question the widely held belief that Pro Tools subscriptions have driven up the cost of staying up to date with Pro Tools and how responsibly audio brands approach packaging their goods. They answer questions from the community and share their finds of the week.
- Production Expert has teamed up with Pro Sound Effects to offer a one-off Exclusive Bundle Deal - The Cinematic Sound Effects Bundle, combining three sound effects libraries by the masters of sound effects - Ann Kroeber and Alan Splet, with an exclusive discount of over 30%. This bundle is totally exclusive to Production Expert, so get it before it’s gone!
In modern vocal production … timing is everything. With that in mind, we are featuring this partner deal throughout March on the time alignment software VocALign Project 3. Until the end of March 2018, Synchro Arts are offering a 30% discount on all new licenses and upgrades making their VocALign Project 3 available for the lowest price it’s ever been in its 20-year history!
- Check out the deals from our Partners in the Partner Deals section of the Deals page.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Looking to get that big analog console sound from your in the box mix? Well, if buy and register any new UAD‑2 DSP Accelerator between January 1st and March 31st, 2018 you will get the world’s most authentic Neve, API, SSL and UA console emulation plug-ins for Mac and Windows with a value of up to $1196, absolutely FREE as part of the UAD Classic Consoles plug-in promotion. Learn more on the Universal Audio website.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
RSPE Audio has the new PMC result6 studio monitors in stock. result6 is PMC’s new entry-level monitor that takes everything PMC monitoring is famous for and makes it affordable! Contact RSPE or visit rspeaudio.com to learn more about result6.
- Andy Mae - Shares his positive feedback about his experience of Avid support when commissioning his new HDX system.
Questions From The Community
- Matthew Hollis - doesn't know whether or not he needs a Digilink licence, Mike has answers.
- David Harrison - Has a multi-part question about collaborating with someone with a different system. He asks:
- Whether he can use an Mbox with current versions of Pro Tools?
- How much Pro Tools and an iLok will cost him?
- How much as Eleven Rack costs?
- Whether such a system would be compatible with his HP PC and his Yamaha electronic drums?
- Jim Johnston - Has a question about measuring hardware latency.
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet-based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
Find Of The Week - Sponsored By UJAM
UJAM Instruments’ innovative Virtual Drummer and Virtual Guitarist music production plug-ins are now available as AAX plug-ins for Pro Tools so Pro Tools users can now enjoy the simplicity and versatility of these excellent instruments. Get what you need from your drummer or guitarist in the minimum of time.
- Mike - Soundly update to v2.1, which has a better and more accurate search using their built-in sound effect thesaurus, a new sample rate converter for improved audio quality for projects that do not match the sample rate of the selected audio. The sample rate converter is also used in the pitch controls in Soundly, leading to less pitching artifacts and smoother sound. Soundly now supports auditioning of the ambisonic file format (.amb) and a number of other fixes as well. Check out my article on Soundly v2.0. to find out more about what I think of Soundly.
- James - Neve 1073 DPX - Twin Channel 1073 with other goodies. Review to follow.
- Dan - iZotope Spire Studio. Battery powered 8 track digital recorder for songwriters