In this video shot from the show floor at NAMM 2018, James Ivey and Dan Cooper take you through some of their show highlights. From very expensive microphones and affordable monitor speaker to a channel strip plug-in and bass pedal. James and Dan share the stuff they have found most interesting from day 3 of NAMM 2018.
- Requisite Audio L7 Microphone - This was shown exclusively on the RSPE booth at NAMM 2018. The L7 is a 9-pattern, directly coupled condenser microphone capable of +32dB through a balanced output.
By placing the capsule, head-amplifier, and preamplifier, in the single body they have reduced the head-amplifier coupling cap by 90% and completely eliminated the step-down output transformer.
At this point of the circuit they connect directly to the grid of the preamplifier 6SN7 tube, avoiding 20+ feet of shielded cable, numerous solder joints and connectors to a step-up input transformer, impedance network, pad and high pass filter of a typical recording chain. The Requisite L7 replaces all that with a single silver-in-oil capacitor. Price $18,000
- Waves Scheps Omni Channel Plug-in - Designed with Grammy-winning mixer Andrew Scheps (Adele, Jay Z, Metallica), Waves tell us that the Scheps Omni Channel delivers Andrew’s time-tested combinations of compression, EQ, saturation colours and more.
Through years of mixing diverse music genres, Andrew Scheps has perfected certain combinations of go-to processors – some based on classic hardware units, some being innovative modules developed from scratch – each with its own unique character. With the Waves Scheps Omni Channel plug-in they are all brought together in one channel strip plug-in.
- Darkglass Alpha-Omega Ultra Bass Effects Pedal - Its a bass DI with uploadable speaker emulations. The Alpha·Omega Ultra is a bass preamplifier with two distinct distortion circuits (Alpha and Omega), high dynamic range, six-band active graphic EQ, dedicated headphone output and balanced direct output with switchable digital impulse-response cabinet emulation make for an incredibly complete tool for the modern bass player.
There is a Micro USB B connector which allows you to connect the pedal to PC/Mac to load cabinet simulation impulse responses to the pedal and control various other settings. Price - $350
- Blue Cat Audio Axiom Plug-in - This is an amp sim plug-in and a multi-effects processor designed for guitar and bass.
Axiom not unsurprisingly based on their Destructor plug-in for amp simulations, and includes two amp simulations channels, with pre and post effects, that can be mixed together or used alternatively like a real amp. You will be able to choose your amp models from hundreds of presets or launch the amp editor, which is also based on Blue Cat’s Destructor, to build your own, with complete control over all the parameters.
Additional input and master sections let you adjust the tone at the input and the output of Axiom, with 4 additional effect slots each. A brickwall limiter will also protect the output from clipping.
- Waves Scheps Omni Channel Plug-in - James and Dan chose the same product for their 2nd choice today. The Scheps Omni Channel features five modules that you can use in any order you like:
- The Pre module provides three types of analog saturation, letting you add diverse colours of harmonic distortion as well as filters and thump (resonance) controls.
- The Compression module features 3 completely different compressors ranging from fast to slow and smooth, with a unified control set so you can quickly compare them. A Wet/Dry control allows you to parallel compress within the module.
- The EQ module is a 4-band equalizer; each band providing a distinct musical sound that holds up on its own or can be switched to fully parametric if surgical EQ is required.
- The DS2 module is so much more than a de-esser, with two full-range bands and four filter types allowing it to ‘de-anything’ – remove any offending frequencies, not just S’s or T’s.
- The Gate module gives you all the standard controls (threshold, attack and release) for gating/expansion, but also lets you adjust the maximum noise reduction to maintain a consistent noise floor.
- If that’s not enough, Scheps Omni Channel features an insert slot that can be positioned anywhere in the chain, where you can insert an additional Waves plugin of your choice, including an extra instance of any of the Scheps Omni Channel modules.
- Adam Audio T Series Monitor Speakers - These are a new range of affordable, professional 2-way powered studio monitors and is comprised of two models: the T5V features a 5” woofer and the T7V uses a 7” woofer. Both models use the same U-ART high-frequency driver (Unique Accelerated Ribbon Tweeter); feature a bevelled cabinet design, rear-firing bass reflex port, built-in DSP-controlled driver crossovers and equalization, and multi-way analog connections; and are compatible with the ADAM Sub7 and Sub8 subwoofers. Price $500 for the T5 and $500 for the T7
Don't forget to check each day for the next roundup from the NAMM 2018 show floor.