Mike, James and Julian discuss condenser mics in this week's podcast. There are so many good, inexpensive mics available. Do you need to spend more? They also discuss the new features in the release of Pro Tools 2018.7 and they answer your questions, share community feedback, and their finds of the week.
- Don’t forget to check out the deals from our Partners on our Deals page.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Looking for a new audio interface? Well, for a limited time, you can buy a Universal Audio rackmount Apollo interface, that’s the Apollo 8, 8p, 16, or Apollo FireWire, from an authorized UA retailer at an unprecedented savings of up to 20% off the RRP. This offer is valid until September 15th 2018.
You can find out more about this deal by visiting UAudio.com.
- Win All The UJAM Instruments Worth Over $1000. Our friends at UJAM are offering a chance to win the entire UJAM product line in our August giveaway.
- Don’t forget to check out more opportunities to win pro audio software and gear from our Partners, in the Partner Win section, on our Win page.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
RSPE is proud to announce the new ASC Nano AttackWall. It’s a mini version of the ASC AttackWall that takes all of the acoustic benefits of its bigger brother and shrinks them down to fit on your desktop. Get a reliable, repeatable, and accurate sonic space that’s extremely portable, so you can take it with you when you move or work in another studio. Learn more at RSPE website.
- Chris Brady Wants to know more about POWAIR and asks whether Russ would make a video about how he uses it in his workflow.
- Steve Lott is concerned that Avid might be working on a new HDX card replacement. If they are it's news to us!
Questions From The Community
- Mark Dubravec Thinks he might have found a bug when moving crossfades in Shuffle mode under OS 10.13.5.
- Andrew Clarke Wants to know exactly what the downmix plug-in in Pro Tools is doing. Mike explains it creates an LoRo downmix. if you don't know about LoRo vs LtRt read this article.
- Amit Sharma Has a question about the difference between the mixers in Pro Tools LE vs Pro Tools 12.
- Iain Anderson Is curious about the miniDSP DDRC 88A, Do we know about it? Yes we do. Mike has one and reviewed it last year.
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet-based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
Find Of The Week - Sponsored By UJAM
UJAM Instruments’ innovative Virtual Drummer and Virtual Guitarist music production plug-ins are now available as AAX plug-ins for Pro Tools so Pro Tools users can now enjoy the simplicity and versatility of these excellent instruments. Get what you need from your drummer or guitarist in the minimum of time.
- James - New musical instruments and your local music store. Just got my hands on an Ozark Mandolin.
- Julian - Neumann Recording Tools App
- Mike - Netflix’s new delivery spec. It's my find of the week but not for positive reasons. I have yet to find anyone who has a positive thing to say about it.