In this premium video tutorial, Pro Tools Expert team member Julian Rodgers investigates the difference between the five different detector modes in Pro Compressor by listening to the difference and also by running test tones to see the difference visually.
The Five detector Modes are:
- Smart - Analyses the incoming audio and interpolated between the different detector modes as needed. this is the automatic setting.
- RMS - processes based on he Root mean Square of the incoming audio level. the manual says this is similar to Average but with a faster release time. We noticed a different attack characteristic too.
- Average - Processes based on the average of the incoming audio.
- Peak - Processes based on the peak level of the incoming audio
- Fast - Similar to peak but with faster attack and particularly release characteristics.
These modes are auditioned on a drum track but also inspected visually using test tones. The differences are revealing!
How Can I Watch This Video?
Firstly you can watch the preview section of this video for free, no charge and with no signup. If you have not yet signed up to the new platform, and you want to watch the rest of this video, and hundreds more like it, then you can by signing up for a free 7-day trial. If you aren't satisfied it is a good deal then cancel the subscription within the 7 day trial period and it won't cost you a penny. If you like it then for just $3.99 per month you can watch this and hundreds more videos like it.
If you are already an existing subscriber to our new video platform, then thank you for your support and you will be able to watch this video all the way through.