In this free video tutorial brought to you in with the support of Plugin Alliance, Pro Tools Expert team member Julian Rodgers demonstrates the jitter parameter in Unfiltered Audio's Instant Delay Plug-in and explains how it does what it does.
Instant Delay is a deep plug-in, far deeper than its simple interface suggests. There is a lot to like here and a lot to demonstrate but instead of looking at the proper delay buffer, which doesn't put out nasty zipper noise even under the wildest delay time changes, the endless modulation options using the modular, patchable modulation section or the support for ROLI Lightblocks I've decided to concentrate on the jitter parameter - mainly because it was the only thing I had to look up in the manual.
Jitter randomises the delay time with every loop. Because this randomisation is based on the length of the randomised loop length rather than a fixed delay time the deviation from the original delay time is cumulative with the randomisations summing to add complexity. Small amounts of jitter result in an enveloping, non cyclic Haas stereo effect. Simple to set up and very effective.
Instant Delay Features
- Fully-featured delay line with Linked, Independent, and Offset modes for total stereo control over buffer settings
- Analog-style LP/HP/BP filter, with adjustable resonance, is applied to the feedback loop
- Built-in soft clipper with Drive control can generate subtle saturation, overdriven aggression, and everything in between
- Jitter control adds an organic nuance that results in subtle syncopations with slower delay times, and a natural “blurring” effect with faster ones
- Unfiltered Audio's flagship modulation system provides eight freely assignable and fully automatable modulators, including a Step Sequencer, and integration with ROLI BLOCKS 5D Lightpad control surface
- A simple interface that offers a wide range of tones and applications, from simple vocal doubling to elaborate echo effects
- Unfiltered Audio’s unique delay buffer algorithm lets users expand or contract the delay buffer in real time without pitch fluctuations or digital noise