Empirical Labs have released the latest version of their hardware unit Distressor - Arousor 2 which now has AAX DSP support on the Mac platform, improved CPU efficiency for Native users and is backwards compatible with Arousor v1.
New Features In Empirical Labs Arousor 2
- AAX-DSP for the MAC. Windows version due to follow shortly, pending copy protection repair
- Greater efficiency, especially in Pro Tools AAX. 1/3rd of the CPU usage!
- Greatly increased Bargraph accuracy. You will find it makes matching a Distressor sound much easier.
- Preset Sharing Function - Works across all platforms and makes it easy to share, even with emails.
- Backwards Compatible with Rev 1.0. Won't "break" your past mixes.
- Graphic and Interface Improvements - New colours, and 3d Depth
- Their first "Expert" Button appears for the BLEND Section. See below.
- New Presets from Famous Engineers
- Refined markings for matching Distressor Detector settings. New Mark on Det HP Freq, Det BP Gain
- Higher resolution read out on Det BP BW. Reads to .01 places.
- Better support for Control Surfaces, including the older Avid D-Command
- MAC only, for now, Windows support coming soon when copy protection is re-established.
- Introductory Price: $249 for 30 days
- Normal Price: $349 - It is not clear when the introductory price will expire.
Empirical Labs tell us that these hidden Expert Panels are going to thrill Arousor users many times over the next few years. The BLEND section now has an EXPERT Button that brings up a panel with a new control to allow perfect matching of levels between Compressed and Dry (uncompressed) signals.
More About Empirical Labs Arouser Plug-in
It's amazing that it has been 20 years since Empirical Labs released Distressor, their first compressor. Once plug-ins became popular they were encouraged by the loyal user base for a plug-in version for those working in the box and as Empirical Labs explain... "it had to be one with the creamy sound and ease-of-use of our own award winning hardware compressors. We are sure you will find the 20-year wait worth it!"
As this plug-in has been designed to do all kinds of non-linear stuff, they found that they had to employ a variety of techniques to minimize common digital artifacts found in almost all digital compressors/limiters etc. However, they also found that these solutions used a lot of processing, and they needed to streamline certain DSP processes to reduce the CPU load without sacrificing audio quality.
Empirical Labs Arousor 2 System Requirements And Notes
- Arouser 2 is currently Mac only
- Windows 7 or higher compatibility coming within a couple months
- Mac OS X 10.7 or higher
- iLok 2 USB key and PACE iLok License Manager
- DAW Compatibility
- 32/64-bit AAX (OSX and Windows)
- 64-bit VST2 (OSX and Windows)
- 64-bit VST3 (OSX and Windows)
- 64-bit AU (OSX)
- AAX system minimum requirements are Pro Tools 10.3.5 and OSX 10.7 or higher; Windows 7 or higher.
- AU may function on earlier systems, but will only be qualified for and supported with system minimum requirements of OSX 10.7 or higher.
- Logic 9 is the reference AU host used for testing and verification.
- VST may function on earlier systems, but will only be qualified for and supported with system minimum requirements of OSX 10.7 or higher; Windows 7 or higher.
- Cubase 6 is the reference VST host used for testing and verification.