Mike. James and Julian chat through issues and highlights from the week's news as well as the usual Pro Tools tips, tricks and community questions answered.
Podcast Sponsor - Townsend Labs
This month’s sponsor is Townsend Labs, creator of the Sphere L22 3D microphone system. James talks about his experiences of using the Sphere microphone system.
- Pro Sound Effects Urban Ambisonics Bundle - Get 45% Off - Buy For $199 Reduced From $360 - Ambisonics sound effects are so versatile in multi channel production as they can be converted into formats like binaural, 5.1, and 7.1. This is a great opportunity to kick start your multi-channel sound effects library.
- Save 40% on an Annual licence or 15% on a monthly licence for Audiomovers LISTENTO plug-in - LISTENTO enables users to Stream Audio from Pro Tools to web browsers. LISTENTO are free plug-ins, however, a weekly, monthly or annual license is required to stream mixes to anyone with an internet connection. We have deals on both monthly and annual licences. £46 for an Annual licence, £6.50 for monthly. Don’t worry, the person receiving the stream doesn’t require a subscription, just a web browser and an internet connection.
- Also, don’t forget to check out the deals from our Partners, in the Partner Deals section on our Deals page.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Thinking about getting on board with UAD Plug-Ins? Well, now is the time! For a limited time, you can get a UAD OCTO Ultimate 5 Bundle from an authorised UA retailer. The bundle includes your choice of PCIe, Satellite Thunderbolt, or Satellite USB DSP Accelerator and the Universal Audio, flagship collection, featuring 89 award-winning UAD Powered Plug-Ins including best-sellers from API, Neve, Manley, Fender, and many more. Also, the UA Dream Studio offer is still on. It has been extended until 30th September 2017.
- Presets Are For Wimps - Be The Creative You Were Made To Be
- The Results Of The PreSonus Quantum And Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt Audio Interface Shoot Out
- Win 1 Of 5 Copies Of MasteringTheMix LEVELS & REFERENCE Bundle - We have teamed up with our friends at MasteringTheMix to offer the Pro Tools Expert Community a unique opportunity to win a bundle of two very powerful mixing and mastering plug-ins. This bundle does not exist, so cannot be purchased from the MasteringTheMix web store.
- Don’t forget to check out our win page, to discover more opportunities to win pro audio software and gear from our Partners, in the Partner Win section, on our Win page.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
“Let’s Talk Avid”, from our friends at RSPE, is an opportunity for customers old and new to call them on the phone as RSPE have some great prices that they cannot publish on-line. So if you are looking for a deal on pro audio gear and you live in the US, especially the west coast, then call RSPE on their toll-free number 855.632.1032 and see what they can offer you. You can also check out a special page to see some of the product ranges they have on offer, but to get the discount you will need to talk to the RSPE team on the phone.
Mick Cory - What about Community Find of the Week? Following on from your find of the week, my find of the week is Score: A Film Music Documentary by Matt Schrader. Featuring a raft of film composers including the likes of Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Quincy Jones, Trent Reznor, and Thomas Newman, to name a few. This documentary contains interviews with dozens of film composers who discuss their craft and the magic of film music while exploring the making of the most iconic and beloved scores in history.
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
In this Pro Tools Expert Podcast Extra interview, Technical Editor James Ivey talks to Joey Sturgis of drum sample library and plug-in developers Drumforge and his own company Joey Sturgis Tones or JST.
Questions From The Community
- ‘Registerbooking’ is currently using PTHD (TDM) 10.3.10 on OSX 10.9 which has worked flawlessly. “Normally when I start YouTube or Soundcloud on Firefox or Safari normally the Avid CoreAudio Manager would start so that I can hear to music from the browser within the audio output from my 192 interface, but for a few weeks this doesn't happen. Even starting the Core Audio Driver manually before opening the browser doesn't help. I can't recall having installed anything at all during the past few weeks. I've trashed the PT Prefs, reinstalled PT 10.3.10 from scratch but this hasn't changed anything. I've found a similar thread on PT HDX on the DUC. Any help would be very much appreciated”.
- SirLazy541 asks how much should it cost for mixing and mastering a total of 10 tracks? “I have Pro Tools 10 and only know how to record everything”.
- Terri Williams’ husband is a songwriter and has an old Pro Tools 9 and older MacBook Pro running 10.8.5. I was trying to upgrade his system as a surprise gift and ordered the Pro Tools Annual Subscription and found that it's not compatible with his Mac. My husband is interested in the new iMac 27 inch. Would you recommend I purchase that for him? Will it work with the subscription I purchased from Pro Tools yesterday? Your help is much appreciated!
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
Find Of The Week
- Mike - Zoom F-Control, to go with my Zoom F8 - Check our Reviews page for my review.
- James - NUOLUX Mop and Broom Holder Wall Mounted Garden Storage Rack 5pcs (Black) on Amazon - It's the perfect wall holder for mic stands.
- Julian - The importance of engaging with an audience rather than expecting them to engage with you, as exemplified by Mr Wilson’s Second Liners - The band at a wedding I went to this weekend who play 90’s rave on brass instruments in promenade like a 20’s jazz band at a New Orleans funeral.