James, Dan and Julian chat through issues and highlights from the week's news as well as the usual Pro Tools tips, tricks and community questions answered.
Podcast Sponsor - Kii Audio
Whether you work in a major facility, independent recording studio, or from your home studio, you’re always looking for ways to raise the bar of sonic performance to give a clear, reliable and consistent advantage over your competition and The Kii THREE system is that advantage. A good monitoring situation enables you to work faster, easier and achieve better results everyday that take the guesswork out of any decision during a production.
Kii Audio designed the Kii THREE with the acoustical challenges of today's studio setups in mind. It fits everywhere and can be the one and only monitor solution you need for every task. It really is the first Mini Main monitor system available. To learn more, check out the interview in which Russ chatted with Kii Speaker Inventor Bruno Putzeys about speaker design, room acoustics and why he ended up designed the Kii THREE Active Monitors.
- LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Professional Deal - Buy For £159 Reduced From £227
- Also, don’t forget to check out the deals from our Partners in the Partner Deals section on our Deals page.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Offer extended until 31st August 2017 - Buy any award-winning Apollo rackmount audio interface and get an analog dream studio filled with up to $3,500 of genuine UAD plug-ins from Studer, Lexicon, AKG, Pultec, Fairchild, Teletronix, and more! Buy an Apollo Duo or Apollo Firewire and get a plugin bundle worth $1200, buy an Apollo 8P, Apollo 8 Quad, or Apollo 16 and get a plugin bundle worth $2000, or buy any 2 Apollo rack mounted interfaces, and get a plugin bundle worth $3500. For more details please visit the Universal Audio website.
- In A World Of Shitty Audio Playback Devices Quality Is More Important Than Ever
- TECSOUND - An Impressive Recording Studio Soundproofing Material The team discusses the use of this product in Dan's new studio and isolation techniques for home studios…
- Free Tutorial - Setting Up Pro Tools & Hardware for Analog Summing From PureMix The team discuss the pros and cons of using analog summing units.
- Win Audionamix TRAX Pro 3 SP & Music Production Bundle (TRAX Pro 3 & VVC) - Worth $1500
- Don’t forget to check out our win page, to discover more opportunities to win pro audio software and gear from our Partners, in the Partner Win section, on our Win page.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
“Let’s Talk Avid”, from our friends at RSPE, is an opportunity for customers old and new to call them on the phone as they have some great prices that they cannot publish on-line. So if you are looking for a deal on pro audio gear and you live in the US, especially the west coast, then call RSPE on their toll-free number 855.632.1032 and see what they can offer you. You can also check out a special page to see some of the product ranges but to get the discount you will need to talk to the RSPE team on the phone.
- Gerry Daley Hi, just a suggestion, recording guitars silently seem to be one missing piece of the puzzle for the new generation of "digital" project studios owners and recording guitarists. Axe FX and Kemper are very expensive, but a cheap alternative is Fab Filter Pro Q2 using its EQ Match facility. Check out the tutorial on EQ Match With FabFilter Pro-Q from Studio One Expert
- PT Houston with a question about Radar Studio. Are you guys going to do a latency test on radar running Pro Tools 12? I'm having performance issues.
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
Earlier in the year, we covered a case study about how Smart Studio was contracted by Flix Facilities, based in Manchester, England to build two dubbing studios and a VO booth. This week’s Pro Tools Expert Interview is an interview with Smart Studio Founder Jim Dunne And Client Leo Casserley From Flix Facilities in which we share the story of how Smart Studio came about and more detail on how they helped Flix build their new facilities in the Media City, Salford, UK.
Questions From The Community
- Jason Burk - I remember back in the day I would hang out in the control room at Rosewood Studios in Tyler, Texas and the engineer would track a guitar (just playing diamonds and strums) at 1/2 speed. At normal playback, the track would be an octave higher and it sounded real nice when blended in. How can I do this in the box with no musician at my disposal? Is there a way I can temporarily change the sample rate or bit depth to change to print a track that's an octave higher?
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
Find Of The Week
- Dan - Universal Audio LA2a and a very unique story that my Dad told me today
- James - Audio Technica 4081 Ribbon Mic. The best acoustic guitar mic I have ever heard. Just stunning. Review to follow. An amazing mic for around £500.
- Julian - Aimee Nolte Music. Cool Jazz Piano Youtube Channel