Russ, Mike and Julian chat through issues and highlights from the week's news as well as the usual Pro Tools tips, tricks and community questions answered.
Podcast Sponsor - Kii Audio
Whether you work in a major facility, independent recording studio, or from your home studio, you’re always looking for ways to raise the bar of sonic performance to give a clear, reliable and consistent advantage over your competition and The Kii THREE system is that advantage. A good monitoring situation enables you to work faster, easier and achieve better results everyday that take the guesswork out of any decision during a production.
Kii Audio designed the Kii THREE with the acoustical challenges of today's studio setups in mind. It fits everywhere and can be the one and only monitor solution you need for every task. It really is the first Mini Main monitor system available. To learn more, check out the interview in which Russ chatted with Kii Speaker Inventor Bruno Putzeys about speaker design, room acoustics and why he ended up designed the Kii THREE Active Monitors.
- LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Professional Deal - Buy For £159 Reduced From £227
- Also, don’t forget to check out the deals from our Partners in the Partner Deals section on our Deals page.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Offer extended until 31st August 2017 - Buy any award-winning Apollo rackmount audio interface and get an analog dream studio filled with up to $3,500 of genuine UAD plug-ins from Studer, Lexicon, AKG, Pultec, Fairchild, Teletronix, and more! Buy an Apollo Duo or Apollo Firewire and get a plugin bundle worth $1200, buy an Apollo 8P, Apollo 8 Quad, or Apollo 16 and get a plugin bundle worth $2000, or buy any 2 Apollo rack mounted interfaces, and get a plugin bundle worth $3500. For more details please visit the Universal Audio website.
- Win Audionamix TRAX Pro 3 SP & Music Production Bundle (TRAX Pro 3 & VVC) - Worth $1500
- Don’t forget to check out our win page, to discover more opportunities to win pro audio software and gear from our Partners, in the Partner Win section, on our Win page.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
RSPE has teamed up with Metric Halo to offer two of their plugins, HaloVerb and Character. Even better news is that they have reduced the prices even further, so now you can get either of them for just $24 down from the normal price or $129 or get them both for $39 saving almost 90%
HaloVerb is based on the original HaloVerb hardware implementation for 2d-Expanded Metric Halo interfaces, the HaloVerb plugin expands on the algorithmic sound to give you more flexibility and control.
Character is designed to let you add the distortion characteristics of classic analog circuits to your tracks. The Metric Halo Flash Sale is available for purchase via electronic serial number until midnight (PDT) September 5, 2017, exclusively from RSPE Audio Solutions.
- Patrick Pearce from the US has told us about a great story about the community coming together helping each other. Patrick explains “You may recall a while back Russ and Mike asked me to do a video for the community on how I did a major hardware upgrade to my Dell T5500 running Windows 10 and Pro Tools. A few months ago Ryan Shepherd, based in Scotland, saw that video and article and asked me to help him build an identical machine. So over the course of a month via Facebook messaging we were able to do just that. Two guys, thousands of miles apart, who have never met in person worked together, helped one to "Live The Dream" he has had since he was a kid, giving back to his community and it's young people. THIS is what Pro Tools Expert is all about and what its global reach can do. Thank you for all that you do for us in the Pro Tools Community!”
- John Jenkins would like to know what the 3rd plug-in is our recent Surround Upmix Shootout.
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
In this Interview, James Ivey talks to Mastering Engineer Ian Shepherd about his current work, his website Production Advice and the annual Dynamic Range Day.
Questions From The Community
- Isa Khan has a question about a type of 4-point editing is achievable in Pro Tools, as outlined in a Sound On Sound article: http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/unlink-timeline-edit-selections He asks “Whilst using this in Slip mode is great, if you want to keep things time aligned to video or if you're working on metronome-based music, it's not so handy for us broadcast, dialogue or classical editors when the length of the two selections might vary. Unfortunately, the all important part of this, Snap Clip Start to Play position (H), doesn't work in Shuffle mode (at least not in PT 11, non HD). Do you know of a way of doing a quick 4-point or S/D editing in Pro Tools in Shuffle Mode?”
- Valendar Turner has just installed PT First but cannot find the Preferences option in the Setup Menu. He has tried all the Trashing PT Preferences stuff on the Net but nothing works for him.
- Jeff Lorber has bought a current MacBook pro and it works fine with Pro Tools when he uses the built in speaker however but when he uses the headphone jack you are limited to 44.1k sample rate and so can't listen to 96K sessions using the headphone socket on the MacBook Pro. He would value any suggestions we have and if we recommend an interface he asks if there is a small and hopefully inexpensive one we could recommend as he likes listening to and editing Pro Tools sessions on aeroplanes and hotel rooms.
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
Find Of The Week
- Russ - PreSonus Quantum - Shoot Out Between Apogee Ensemble And PreSonus Quantum Thunderbolt Audio Interfaces http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2017/8/23/shoot-out-between-apogee-ensemble-and-presonus-quantum-thunderbolt-audio-interfaces
- Mike - Apple Final Cut Pro X Trial and Marquis Broadcast’s X2Pro
- Julian - Sampledelica! The History Of The Mellotron - BBC Radio 4 programme available in the UK on iPlayer. if you’re outside the UK or just really like Mellotrons try Dave Spiers’ excellent “The Great British Tron Story” which goes into as much technical depth as you’re ever likely to want unless you’re planning on building one!