Mike, James and Alan chat through issues and highlights from the week's news as well as the usual Pro Tools tips, tricks and community questions answered.
Podcast Sponsor - Kii Audio
Whether you work in a major facility, independent recording studio, or from your home studio, you’re always looking for ways to raise the bar of sonic performance to give a clear, reliable and consistent advantage over your competition and The Kii THREE system is that advantage. A good monitoring situation enables you to work faster, easier and achieve better results everyday that take the guesswork out of any decision during a production.
Kii Audio designed the Kii THREE with the acoustical challenges of today's studio setups in mind. It fits everywhere and can be the one and only monitor solution you need for every task. It really is the first Mini Main monitor system available. To learn more, check out the interview in which Russ chatted with Kii Speaker Inventor Bruno Putzeys about speaker design, room acoustics and why he ended up designed the Kii THREE Active Monitors.
- LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven Professional Deal - Buy For £159 Reduced From £227
- Also, don’t forget to check out the deals from our Partners in the Partner Deals section on our Deals page.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Offer extended until 31st August 2017 - Buy any award-winning Apollo rackmount audio interface and get an analog dream studio filled with up to $3,500 of genuine UAD plug-ins from Studer, Lexicon, AKG, Pultec, Fairchild, Teletronix, and more! Buy an Apollo Duo or Apollo Firewire and get a plugin bundle worth $1200, buy an Apollo 8P, Apollo 8 Quad, or Apollo 16 and get a plugin bundle worth $2000, or buy any 2 Apollo rack mounted interfaces, and get a plugin bundle worth $3500. For more details please visit the Universal Audio website.
- From Pro Tools To Studio One - Two Years On Has Anything Changed?
- Would You Use A Super Wide Seamless Monitor With Pro Tools?
- Win Audionamix TRAX Pro 3 SP & Music Production Bundle (TRAX Pro 3 & VVC) - Worth $1500
- Don’t forget to check out our win page, to discover more opportunities to win pro audio software and gear from our Partners, in the Partner Win section, on our Win page.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
RSPE has teamed up with Metric Halo to offer two of their plugins, HaloVerb and Character. Get either of them for just $30 (normal price is $179 saving 83%) or get them both for $45 saving over 87% from the combined normal price of $358.
HaloVerb is based on the original HaloVerb hardware implementation for 2d-Expanded Metric Halo interfaces, the HaloVerb plugin expands on the algorithmic sound to give you more flexibility and control.
Character is designed to let you add the distortion characteristics of classic analog circuits to your tracks. The Metric Halo Flash Sale is available for purchase via electronic serial number until midnight (PDT) September 5, 2017, exclusively from RSPE Audio Solutions.
- Jim Reeves has been in touch with an interesting suggestion for a new type of iLok. As he uses iLok, as well as a thumb drive for Waves and an elicenser for Vienna. “Wouldn't it be nice if iLok were a hub with ports for other USB licences, maybe on a short cable. Then moving from one computer to another requires only one machine port”.
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
In this interview for Pro Tools Expert, Technical Editor James Ivey talks to engineer and producer Greg Wurth. James caught up with Greg at his LA studio to talk about his work both past and present, his gear choices and his move into creating the Greg Wurth Audio brand.
Questions From The Community
Khavel X has purchased a Sontronics Aria and is concerned about the proper positioning/mounting of the microphone as a result of things that he has heard and read about the effects of rising heat from the valve within the microphone impacting the lifespan or the performance of the diaphragm, pointing to a post from Bobby Oswinski to support his concern. What do we think?
Vivien Dair asks for some advice as her husband Chris is running an early version of Pro Tools, 6.9.1 with a Dell 149 running XP Pro OS and three HD Accel PCIe cards, Command 8, and 192 I/O. Vivien asks if they can upgrade the compute, use a newer version of Pro Tools, and keep his current hardware configuration?
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
Find Of The Week
- Mike - Dialog Isolate in iZotope RX6 Advanced - saved the day yet again.
- James - Friend of the blog Steve Genewick put me on to this one. If you like your Mac Finder the way it used to be when you could mark a folder and the folder or file name would take on a colour, not just a tiny useless dot. Check out Total Finder. It is not for the faint of heart as you have to get down with terminal but it’s SO worth it.
- Alan - I got this last year, but in the last month it’s really become handy - it’s the Icydock MB324SP SATA 4 x 2.5" Hot Swap Caddie. I have one in my Windows system already and am about to install another in a second system. It’s really reliable, tool-less, so no fiddling with tiny screws, a lot faster than USB3 and great for just swapping around SSDs as I need to, which is becoming more frequent now I’m about to move studios.