Following our coverage of the Women's Audio Mission, based over in the San Francisco Bay area offering great opportunities for women to get into audio and tech sectors, we are very pleased to tell you about the #NormalNotNovelty initiative from Red Bull Studios, which is a series of female-only workshops they have been developing over the last 8 months, will tour the UK this September.
#NormalNotNovelty aims to break the stigma of life behind the recording studio glass and to encourage women to get involved in music production, engineering and DJing. This UK tour will see them team up with music production colleges around the UK in Bristol, London, Leeds and Manchester.
These events will be free, just like the monthly London events have been. Any female music producers, DJs and sound engineers can sign-up via the Red Bull Studios website. Note that the ballot for tickets will close on August 31st and they expect this to be over subscribed.
Red Bull Studios have brought together a variety of female experts and hometown heroes to support them on this tour.
Bristol native and industry newcomer LUCY will guide attendees through a production course, Radar Radio and Astral Black staple Jossy Mitsu will show future DJs the ropes and Radio Producer Eliza Lomas shares her radio production journey.
DJ and BBC 1 radio presenter Clara Amfo will head up the London event alongside producer Hannah V (Hannah boasts credits on the upcoming JP Cooper album) and mastering engineer Ioana Barbu.
In Leeds, the highlight of the series will be Dr Mariana Lopez, Vice Chair of the Audio Engineering Society and a master of post-production and sound design. Ibiza regular Ceri will lead the production master class and drum & bass pioneer DJ Storm (of Storm and Kemistry) will bring her 30-year experience to a DJ workshop.
Closing the tour, Manchester-based engineer Katie Tavini and DJ Anz head the final workshop alongside the ubiquitous Madam X.
Red Bull Studios also want these events to be an opportunity for women in the audio business to be able to get together and network and each workshop will be paired with a late-evening meet-and-greet, to help women to gain an insight and a foot into the industry.
#NormalNotNovelty Tour 2017 Lineup
- BRISTOL with Saffron Records
- 5th September, 6.30pm-10pm
- @ dBs Music, 17 St Thomas Street, BS1 6JS
- Engineering: Eliza Lomas
- Electronic Production: LUCY
- DJ: Jossy Mitsu
- 12th September, 6.30pm-10pm
- @ Red Bull Studios London, 155-171 Tooley St, SE1 2JP
- Engineering: Ioana Barbu
- Electronic Production: Hannah V
- DJ: Clara Amfo
- LEEDS with Girls That Gig
- 19th September, 6.30pm-10pm
- @ Leeds College of Music, 3 Quarry Hill, LS2 7PD
- Engineering: Mariana Lopez
- Electronic Production: Ceri
- DJ: DJ Storm
- 26th September, 6.30pm-10pm
- @ SSR Manchester, 65 - 69 Downing Street, M1 7JE
- Engineering: Katie Tavini
- Electronic Production: Anz
- DJ: Madam X
- Engineering: Katie Tavini, Steph Marziano, Mandy Parnell, Olga Fitzroy, Omnii Collective, Manon Grandjean, Lauren Deakin Davies & Isabel Gracefield
- Electronic Production: Georgia, Flava D, Tala, Secaina Hudson, Throwing Shade, Homay, Mina & Kito
- DJ: Coco Cole, Siobhan Bell, Emily Rawson, Barely Legal, Jade Avia, Monki, Mollie Collins & Jamz Supernova