Mike, James and Dan chat through issues and highlights from the week's news as well as the usual Pro Tools tips, tricks and community questions answered.
Podcast Sponsor - Smart Studio
Our sponsors for July are Smart Studio. Smart Studio are disrupting the studio design and build industry with their new modular concept. They design and build your studio off-site and then assemble it in your chosen space. It reduces both time and cost of building a professional recording studio and means you are up and running and making money faster! Visit the Smart Studio website to find out more.
- Blue Cat Audio Destructor: This month we are giving you the opportunity to get 30% off Blue Cat's powerful distortion and amp plug-in Destructor - Get For £63
- Blue Cat Audio MB-7 v3 Mixer: This month we are giving you the opportunity to get 25% off Blue Cat's clever MB-7 v3 mixer plug-in that allows users to host VST and AU plug-in in Pro Tools - Get For £85
- Also, don’t forget to check out deals from our Partners in the Partner Deals section on our Deals page.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Offer extended until 31st August 2017 - Buy any award-winning Apollo rackmount audio interface and get an analog dream studio filled with up to $3,500 of genuine UAD plug-ins from Studer, Lexicon, AKG, Pultec, Fairchild, Teletronix, and more! Buy an Apollo Duo or Apollo Firewire and get a plugin bundle worth $1200, buy an Apollo 8P, Apollo 8 Quad, or Apollo 16 and get a plugin bundle worth $2000, or buy any 2 Apollo rack mounted interfaces, and get a plugin bundle worth $3500. For more details please visit the Universal Audio website.
- How Bullshit Took Over The Recording Industry - Why Critical Thinking Matters
- If I Had To Buy My First Pro Tools Home Studio Today On A £3,000 Student Budget - What Would I Buy?
- Win one of three copies of TrainYourEars, EQ Edition 2, frequency ear training software, which is a standalone application for both Mac and PC, designed to help you understand equalisers and frequencies like never before.
- Don’t forget to check out our Win page, to discover more opportunities to win pro audio software and gear from our Partners, in the Partner Win section, on our Win page.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
Our friends at RSPE Audio Solutions invite you to join Grammy award-winning engineer Mick Guzauski (Daft Punk, Madonna, Michael Jackson, and way more) and Antelope Audio for an exclusive inside look at Orion32 HD and FPGA FX! On this Thursday 20th July. At the event you will learn about Antelope’s newest devices: Orion32 HD, Zen Studio+, Orion Studio Rev.2017 & Goliath HD. Experience Antelope’s FPGA FX and emulations. There will also be a Q&A session with Mick & a Zen Studio+ Giveaway (must be present to win). Note that seats are limited. RSVP Today to secure your spot. If you can’t make the event in person, not to worry, RSPE will be streaming in on YouTube. Just subscribe to RSPE on YouTube and be you will be notified when the event goes live on the RSPE YouTube channel.
- Anthony Dominello, perhaps better known to the community as “Proposal Guy” As he proposed to his wife on the podcast and he is now “happily married guy”! Anthony wanted to share his experience using the Dialog Isolate module in iZotope’s RX6. He was able to pull out almost unintelligible speech from a music bed.
Work In Surround Audio And Have A 5.1 Monitoring System? We Need Your Help
Recently we posted the article Shootout - The Best Upmix Plug-ins - Can You Tell The Difference? ( ) which is a blind listening test, comparing three market-leading Upmixer plug-ins.
Immersive Sound is big news at the moment. With expanded surround workflows being integrated into Pro Tools HD and major broadcasters only accepting and distributing 5.1 mixes, the role and use of upmix plug-ins have become increasingly relevant.
We would love to know which 5.1 Upmix plug-in you prefer the sound of, and so we've assembled five examples, with each example processed through the 3 upmix plug-ins.
It would be great to get as many responses as we can get to make it a fair trial but do appreciate that not everyone has access to a 5.1 system. For those that do we urge you to get involved, come, have a listen, and tell us what you think.
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
In this week’s featured interview Dan Cooper had the opportunity to interview Grammy Awarding winning Mix Engineer Michael Brauer for the Pro Tools Expert Community. Dan asks Michael about his partnership with Waves and the new Brauer Motion plug-in. Dan dives a bit deeper and asks a selection of questions regarding mixing and music production.
DiGiGrid Are Recruiting
The team at DiGiGrid are looking for a European sales product specialist who is able to manage Sales Orders, Journey planning, forecasting, pre & post sale technical questions as well as build relationships with key market influencers.
Questions From The Community
- Brizette Young is a student using Pro Tools and asks how do I use compression on a voice? Any tips?
- Bryan Perdue has just purchased the student edition of Pro Tools and asks can I load this software on two computers...my desktop (iMac) and my laptop (MacBook)?
- Franck Castillo is using Pro Tools 11.3.1 version and needs to upgrade his Mac OS 10.9.4 to OS Sierra for other software that he is using but because Pro Tools 11 cannot run under Sierra, what do we suggest?
- Jose Beltran asks will his Pro Tools 10 session files be compatible with Pro Tools 12?
- Do You Encounter Problems Opening Old Pro Tools Sessions?
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
Find Of The Week
- Mike - Capsule holster pouch for my iPhone SE. I don’t like having my phone in a pocket and so I have used a belt clip for a while but not found a really good one. I have just bought 2 of these from Ebay in the UK but you should find them in your territory too.
- James - Orchid Electronics Direct injection Box, About £30 from their website. Far better than some overpriced DI boxes.
- Dan - The studio build so far, progress has been extremely distracting. We will be having a full series on Dan's build, but to whet your appetite here is a picture of the work in progress.