James, Julian and Alan chat through issues from the week's news as well as the usual tips, tricks and questions answered.
New Podcast Sponsor - e-instruments
We now have new podcast sponsors and it’s a different brand each month. Thanks to e-instruments who are supporting the podcast this month. The e-instruments Session Keys are a series of highly expressive and versatile acoustic grand pianos and famous electric pianos designed to help you quickly achieve great results.
This week we are featuring the Session Keys Grand S which gives you one of the most iconic Concert Grands used in concerts and recordings around the globe. It's warm tone and full resonances mesmerises in itself but the additional sound design tools open up a new world of possibilities. You can get an exclusive 10% discount on all Session Keys products but you will need to listen to the podcast to get the discount code
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
- Can You Tell A Real Rhodes Suitcase Piano From A Sampled Virtual Instrument and which do you prefer? This prize draw competition includes a shootout. Listen to 3 examples, and see which one you prefer. One of them is a real 1973 Suitcase, the other 2 are the e-instruments Session Keys S. Enter and win a copy.
- Win 10 Plugin Alliance AAX DSP Plugins Of Your Choice Our friends at Plugin Alliance have worked hard to support the AAX DSP platform and have 51 AAX DSP plug-ins now. In this competition, one person will win 10 Plugin Alliance AAX DSP plug-ins of their choice and 5 runners up will win one AAX DSP plug-in of their choice. If you have an HDX system you will want to enter this competition…
- Save 25% on Zplane ElastiqueAAX Pitch And Time Plug-in for £230. Check out the comparisons between the ElastiqueAAX and other pitch and time manipulation plug-ins, and read what Alan Sallabank has to say. If you need to change the time and pitch of content, especially if you work in post production then do not miss this deal.
- Don’t forget to check out the deals from our Partners in the Partner Deals section on our Deals page.
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
This week’s featured interview is an interview by Sound Designer and Supervisor Jonah Guelzo from a series covering all aspects of Filmmaking from sound, to picture and editing. In this episode, Jonah speaks with Academy Award Winning, Supervising Sound Editor, Lon Bender about founding Post-Production audio company Soundelux in 1982 and continuing his passion for film sound on modern day classic feature films.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Until May 31st you can save up to 60% on classic Neve compressors, EQs and channel strip UAD plug-ins. The “Neve Sound” has been integral to legendary pop, rock, and hip-hop albums for over 40 years. From the sheen of a 1073 EQ to the smack of the 33609 compressor, get the only genuine Neve plug-ins on UAD and Apollo hardware during UA’s Neve Sale!
- One Pro Tools To Rule Them All - Is It Time For Avid To Do This?
- Pro Tools Default Shortcuts - Why I Find Them An Essential Part Of My Evolving Workflow
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
RSPE is proud to announce they are the exclusive US reseller for Non-Lethal Applications Video Slave 3. If the Avid Video Engine isn’t cutting it for you, contact RSPE to learn how Video Slave 3 greatly improve your workflow.
- Boris Milan currently has a Pro Tools HD6 system but is looking to upgrade but even having heard our discussions about upgrade options as he is looking at buying a secondhand cheese grater Mac Pro with an HDX system or go to a UAD Apollo 16 and a Mac Pro Trashcan, can we provide any clarity?
Questions From The Community
- Ben Crooke who like to know when and where to use a pad in the different stages of a recording process.
- Jakob Oldenburg is considering the Mac to Windows switch but I am trying to find a way to change the Control and Command keys on a keyboard. Do we know of a way?
- Dan Bumford asks how to set-up Bias FX on Pro Tools running on Windows 10? There's no option in the plug-in and wondering how I can get Bias FX to show up in Pro Tools
Find Of The Week
- James - Koppla from Ikea. It's 3 output USB charger… great for GoPros.
- Julian - Never going to buy one but if I had cash I didn’t need… Fulltone Solid State Tape Echo!
- Alan - From a purely audio point of view, the amazing Genelec 8331’s I heard at Metropolis last week.