Russ, Mike and Julian chat through issues from the week's news as well as the usual tips, tricks and questions answered.
New Podcast Sponsor - Synchro Arts
We have new podcast sponsors and it’s going to be a different brand each month. Thanks to Synchro Arts who are this month’s podcast sponsor. For many years, Synchro Arts have been asked to make VocALign accessible to a much wider range of audio producers and editors. In response, they introduced a permanent VocALign Project price reduction of around 50% of the previous list price. They have reduced the price but they haven’t cut back on the features, VocALign Project 3.3 provides exactly the same power and operations as the previous version. What's more, trial and full licenses now can use simple (iLok) computer-based authorization. Check out the Synchro Arts website for prices and upgrade options
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
- Win The Amazing zplane élastiqueAAX Time & Pitch Manipulation Plug-in
- Win Music Production Software & Plug-ins Bundle Worth £1,200
- No Pro Tools Expert so far this month but do check out the deals from our Partners in the Partner Deals section on this page.
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
This week’s featured interview is from the archives and is Mike’s interview with Chris Nicoll who was Head of Production for the Capital FM Network. His work covered radio imaging for multiple stations including Capital FM in the UK. Then there was sound design for Capital TV and HearTV station idents as well as audio mixing for various Capital FM Television advertisements. Chris also runs his own composition and sound design company wizzFX.com with clients like bigFM in Germany and ZM in New Zealand.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Until June 30th buy any award-winning Apollo rackmount audio interface and get an analog dream studio filled with up to $3,500 of genuine UAD plug-ins from Studer, Lexicon, AKG, Pultec, Fairchild, Teletronix, and more! Buy an Apollo Duo or Apollo Firewire and get a plugin bundle worth $1200, buy an Apollo 8P, Apollo 8 Quad or Apollo 16 and get a plugin bundle worth $2000, or buy any 2 Apollo rack mounted interfaces, and get a plugin bundle worth $3500.
- Apple announced that the Mac Pro trash-can had issues and they are planning to redesign it.
- 5 Things You Should Do Every Time You Start A Pro Tools Session
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
PMC has recently announced their new BB6 Active Studio Monitors and the first place to hear them in the US is RSPE Audio PMC Boutique showroom. If you would like to book a PMC demo in the showroom or in your own studio then do give the RSPE team a call.
- Jonathan MacMillan has allowed one of Pro Tools upgrade plans to expire and when he tried to install 12.7.1 the iLok license wouldn’t allow him to run it displayed a message saying “Release Limit: Versions released on or before 22/12/2106” and wanted to make sure the community was aware of this.
Questions From The Community
- Gustav Jackson wanted to ask about Pro Tools metering with the additional options released in Pro Tools 11 and would like our views on the most appropriate metering option to use and whether the Pro Tools meters display true peak or not. Mike suggested the following 3rd party metering plug-ins that do display true peak.
- Mark Holland would like our view as to whether iPad Pro A9X 64-bit chip with M9 coprocessor or the A9 chip with 64-bit architecture, embedded M9 coprocessor, to run the Pro Tools app.
Find Of The Week
- Russ - Kii Audio studio monitors
- Mike - Pete Gates who has produced the excellent free PT Prefs app has also produced another free application - PG PT Session. Recently he has updated this app to add some features to help in ADR workflows. It can now convert clips/region groups to ADR sheet PDF files too and it recognises and uses the common naming and tag scheme.
- Julian - Audionowcast and TapeOp podcasts