As Audio over IP (AoIP) becomes more and more prevalent those of us who had previously stayed blissfully ignorant of networking are finding we are having to catch up. In this excellent free video tutorial from Yamaha Commercial Audio, Patrick Killianey guides us through the three primary settings in a network: IP addresses, Subnet masks and the Gateway.
Networking Explanations For Audio People
This video starts with a very accessible overview of what these are and then delves deeper in to exactly how these things work. To make it more digestible I have made notes on the content with timings - Pay attention! There will be a test... (there won't really).
- 0.00 - 3 primary settings of a Network device
- 0.20 - What is an IP address?
- 1.35 - What is the Gateway?
- 4.06 - What is a Subnet Mask?
- 5.47 - Local Areas Network Range - Is it on the LAN or the WAN?
- 7.21 - Examples of how the Subnet Mask affects changing IP addresses on the LAN
- 8.30 - How changing the Subnet Mask affects the size of the LAN
- 11.00 - How Subnet Masks work - Octets, binary. Why there are a limited number of recommended subnet masks. This bit is more technical but very worth watching.
- 16.28 - Table of Subnet Mask Flags which meet best practice.
- 17.07 - Review Questions - If you skip the technical stuff in the second half, make sure you look at this section.