Russ, Dan and Peter chat through issues from the week's news as well as the usual tips, tricks and questions answered.
New Podcast Sponsor - zplane
We have new podcast sponsors and it’s going to be a different brand each month. So to kick us off, thanks to zplane who are supporting the podcast this month.
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
- Win 1 of 5 Copies Of Regroover Essential By Accusonus - Enter and be in with a chance of winning one of five copies of Regroover Essential by Accusonus - worth $99
- Win All the SoundBits Sound Effects Libraries - We are offering the chance for one lucky person to win all the SoundBits sound effects libraries. 3 more lucky people will win 5 SoundBits libraries of your choice, as runners up prizes.
- Save Up To 25% On Leapwing CenterOne And DynOne Plugins - Buy one of these plugins and you can save an exclusive 20% off and get them for £119. Or buy them both together for £222 and save 25%.
- New Deals from our Partners section on this page
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
This week’s featured interview is one from the archives and it is James Ivey talking to Mastering Engineer Ian Shepherd about his work, his website Production Advice and the annual Dynamic Range Day. Ian shares some of his tips and most common mistakes that he often has to try to fix in mastering, before exploring the question - Is there anything that can't fixed in mastering?
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Until March 31st 2017 you can save up to $500 on UAD-2 DSP accelerators, buy a UAD-2 OCTO Satellite Thunderbolt, USB, or PCIe card save $500, or buy a UAD-2 QUAD Satellite Thunderbolt, USB, or PCIe card save $300.
- Video Tutorial - How To Configure Gain Structure in Your Studio - Part 1
- The Greatest Challenge You Will Face In Your Creative Life And Who Can Help You Beat It
- A look at our 15 Minute Mix Challenge Series
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
RSPE are having a PMC Listening Event With The Award-Winning MB3-XBD and BB6-XBD Studio Monitors on March 30th 2017 when you can join special guest Peter Thomas, founder, visionary, and owner of PMC Speakers as they launch PMC's newest active studio monitors. There will also be presentations by key PMC users from the scoring and composing industry. Names to be announced shortly. Entry is limited, so we recommend you signup asap.
Andres Gonzales loves our database of free plugins and would like to know if we have a comprehensive list of sound effects providers. Andrew, there are too many to catalog but the best thing to do is to look at a number of sites that have sprung up supporting and selling sound effects libraries for independent sound effect producers. Here are some to look at.
As well as these sites there are a lot of independent sound effects producers with their own sites and you can check out Mike's Sunday Sound Effects Round Up for more details on these and new sound effects releases.
Questions From The Community
- Stephan Van der Merwe would like to know if the current Pro Tools upgrade plan is a good deal?
- Aaron Coleman has a problem with two particular Pro Tools 11 sessions with an error message "Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/124699/Pro Tools/App/MacBuild/../Main/CFicAudioPlayList.cpp", line 286" that keeps coming up and would like to know how to troubleshoot and solve this error.
- Tommy Allen is trying to learn how to use groove templates in a live recording and also looking for book recommendations. Russ recommended Pro Tools 11: Music Production, Recording, Editing, and Mixing
Find Of The Week
- Russ - Regroover Pro Plug-in By Accusonus
- Dan - My first Pro Tools HDX session, used it in a recent Mix Challenge video
- Peter - A good accountant