FabFilter has today released a major new version of their powerful limiter plug-in - Welcome FabFilter Pro-L 2.
What Is FabFilter Pro-L 2?
FabFilter Pro-L 2 is a fully featured true-peak mixing and mastering limiter plug-in. The previous version, FabFilter Pro-L, was voted most popular limiter plug-in out of 15+ third party limiters by the Pro Tools Expert Community.
How could FabFilter possibly improve on perfection? Well, it appears FabFilter have done so with the addition of several new features along with some major improvements.
What's New In FabFilter Pro-L 2?
FabFilter Pro-L2 introduces a wealth of new features and improvements:
- True peak limiting
- Extensive loudness metering with support for the EBU R128, ITU-R BS.1770-4 and ATSC A/85 standards
- Surround support including Dolby Atmos 7.0.2 and 7.1.2 formats with flexible surround channel linking
- Optional DC offset filter
- External side chain triggering for stem mastering
- Unity Gain option to easily listen to the effect of the current limiting at unity gain level
- Audition Limiting option to listen to the difference between the input and output signal
What's Improved In FabFilter Pro-L2?
- Eight different limiting algorithms, all with their own character and purpose
- Unique real-time level display with peak gain reduction labels and new innovative display modes
- Up to 32x linear-phase oversampling
- Highly accurate output and gain reduction metering including true peak metering
- Optional DC offset filter
Visit the FabFilter website for the full list of Pro-L2 Features.
Exclusive Review Of FabFilter Pro-L 2
In this review, we take a look at some of the new features and improvements in Pro-L 2. We test the new styles, the new 1:1 output feature and more. We use Pro-L 2 to limit the master track of a song using the new LUFS loudness meters. Watch the video to get an exclusive first look and review of FabFilter Pro-L 2.
It is good to see how FabFilter has improved their Pro-L limiter. As an audio post-production guy it is great to see full true peak limiting and integrated loudness metering, as well as comprehensive surround support, all of which make the FabFilter Pro-L 2 an ideal limiter plug-in for BS1770 loudness workflows as well as great for music mastering when delivering tracks to comply with music streaming service's delivery specs now most of the key players are normalising to loudness, so whether you work in music podcasting or audio post-produuction, you should check out the new FabFilter Pro-L 2 limiter plug-in, which is why I made it my find of the week on this week's podcast. Now if they could just make it AAX DSP...
Pricing & Availability
FabFilter Pro-L 2 is now available to purchase and demo from the FabFilter website. For new users, FabFilter Pro-L 2 costs EURO 169/$199/£149. Check your Fabfilter account for details regarding introductory offers and upgrade options. Upgrades from FabFilter Pro-L to version 2 are paid, with discounts ranging from 50% to 65% depending on what Fabfilter plug-ins you already own.