Mike, Dan, James, Julian and Alan (Russ is poorly) get together for the last podcast of the year and podcast number 300 musing on our finds of the year.
Podcast Sponsor - E-Instruments
This month’s sponsor is e-instruments, who make some of the finest Kontakt instruments around including Session Strings, Session Horns and the Session Keys Series.
E-instruments are running a holiday sale until January 8th 2018 offering up to 25% off the Session Keys Electric series. You can buy either the Session Keys Electric S or Electric R for just $59 or buy them together for just $99.
Save 40% On Wavesfactory Sharine. Production Expert has teamed up with Wavesfactory to offer their fantastic Sharine percussion instrument with 40% off normal price, that's £31.00 instead of £52.00 plus taxes. Sharine is the first percussion library that fully retains the pre-roll (also called pre-shift) of each sample while keeping the grooves in sync with your DAW. You get the best of both worlds, ultra-realistic sound with rock-solid timing. With a wide variety of sounds, unique types of shakers and tambourines and innovative features, Sharine is your new go-to library for creating realistic patterns with shakers and tambourines that will give life, energy and groove to your tracks. Check out the review of Sharine from Logic Pro Expert
Check out the deals from our Partners in the Partner Deals section of the Deals page.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
‘Tis the season to treat yourself to more UAD-2 plug-ins and save while you’re doing it. Until the end of December 2017, Universal Audio are offering you the opportunity to pick any 3, 6 or 10 plug-ins and get another absolutely free. You can get 3 plug-ins for £299 saving 60%. 6 plug-ins for £529 saving 65% or buy 10 plug-ins for £749 saving 70% and get another totally free!
To take advantage of this offer simply enter the promo code WISHBOOK at the checkout. If you are already a UAD user you might also find a £20 UAD Coupon in your account so why wait. Find out more about this, and all the Universal Audio Holiday discounts.
Highlights Of 2017
- Studio Build
- Tegeler Audio Schwerkraft Maschine - A device that’s got me working out of the box more than ever.
- Getting back into gigging
- NAMM 2017. It’s nice to be out there with the industry but also with those who make the industry work. Yes I know NAMM is not a public show but there are so many of our community who have “links” to NAMM members so they can get tickets. It’s great to meet up with our partners and community to talk shop.
- More technology becoming “virtual”. By that, I mean more software and DSP driven solutions making 1 piece of hardware sound like many different ones thus making your investment more worthwhile. Slate VMS, Townsend Labs Sphere and UA OX The Amp Top Box to name but 3. All of these technologies are now starting to develop and grow with more mic models for VSM and Sphere and I’m sure plenty more to come
- My visits to high end “big boys” studios like Abbey Road and Real World. Yes, I do love getting out to see these places and to get behind closed doors but it is also great to be able to show the community these places and get some insight into these patches of “hallowed ground” to our industry.
- Finally being able to come over to the blog full time.
- Making some music for the first time in too long.
- Being able to help re-focus on Pro Tools Tutorial content with the tips articles, like I did when I first started on the blog.
- Reviewing a proper alternative for the Mac Pro and being able to demonstrate just how capable the Windows and Pro Tools Native platforms are now.
- Attending the launch of the new Genelec 8331 and 8341 “The Ones” monitors - utterly stunning sound, in a stunning location - Metropolis studios in London, plus I got to fulfil a lifelong ambition and meet the geniuses behind Genelec in person.
- A bit like Dan’s third choice- getting back into long-form prime-time mixing on “Doc Martin”. I find mixing with clients and other sound professionals as much of a “performance” as performing on stage. I certainly get “first-day nerves”, even though I’ve been mixing this show for eight years and 32 episodes now. It had been too long - there is usually two years between each series, and it was such good fun working amongst a team of such talented audio and picture professionals. I miss working in a team and this was just the refresh I needed - it feels like “home” to me. It also spawned one of my most engaged with stories - “Do you still use your control surface - be honest now”
- iZotope RX6 Advanced - its the first time I have given RX Editors Choice. The new machine learning based modules are brilliant.
- Trip to US and Canada including AES 2017 and visiting iZotope
- Helping the Pro Tools Expert community, both personally creating content like the iLok series, and tutorials as well as facilitating this team to support the community with so much great content.
- In this year's end-of-year prize draw competition we wanted to give the Pro Tools Expert community the best chance of winning a prize by offering more individual prizes in one prize draw than we have ever done before. This year we are offering the chance to win one of 31 prizes worth in total in excess of $16,000. Check out the list, and enter the competition and you could be one of 31 lucky winners.
- Don’t forget to check out our win page, to discover more opportunities to win pro audio software and gear from our Partners, in the Partner Win section, on our Win page.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
If you are looking to give your studio the power to Create, Edit, Mix, Master and Deliver Dolby Atmos content, then check out our friends at RSPE, as for over 15 years, they have been a proud Dolby Professional dealer and installer, and they are one of a handful of dealers who can supply the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite. More details available from RSPE Audio Solutions.
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet-based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
Find Of The Year
- Mike - iZotope RX6 Advanced
- Dan - Superior Drummer 3
- James - People! 2 little ones obviously but in the world of work and all things audio Charlotte! Best thing I ever did was look into getting and employing an assistant.
- Julian - My new work loft - I won’t call it my studio, it’s my workroom but now I’m no longer working nomadically I have a dedicated workspace in the loft and it’s light, warm(ish) with more space and sounds better than anywhere I’ve worked in the last ten years.
- Alan - More than eight faders