On the DUC there has been a thread about asking Avid for a new feature in Pro Tools similar to what Microsoft offers in Excel where you can lock a track or combination of tracks so that when you scroll vertically those tracks stay visible in the Edit window.
Thanks to Nathaniel Reichman for highlighting this on the DUC and to "urbansteve" on the Pro Tools Ideascale for posting this feature request...
Similar to freezing rows or columns in a spreadsheet program, I've often thought it would be great to be able to lock specific tracks at the top of your edit window so that they were constantly visible while being able to vertically scroll through the rest of your session. For example, keeping picture editorial guide tracks locked at the top of your edit window so they would be constantly visible/available for reference. A picture is worth 1000 words, so I've created a quick mock up just utilizing the space available in the universe area of the edit window to give you an idea of what I'm thinking.
There is also a second posting on the Pro Tools Ideascale by Pietari Koskinen that requests a similar feature, so maybe vote for them both until Avid merges these two together.
- Excellent idea. I am constantly juggling views to try to accomplish this and it is literally impossible to do.
- I agree - this would be very useful, horizontally and vertically. Timesaver.
- Yes, yes, yes, Avid, please! As a foley editor, I miss this feature so much! I need to edit steps and props in sync with the production soundtracks which serves as a guide. So I need to keep an eye on the waveform of the guide track from the set every time! Please, Avid, do it! Also, we need separate vertical scrolls for these two parts of the Edit window so we can scroll both groups of tracks independently! Also, resize the height of these groups, delete or add them, etc...
- I would add the same for the Mix window, let's say keeping the master or whatever you choose always visible on the left. Also, independent narrow mix view for selected tracks.
- Make sure to allow for any type of track to be always visible. I could imagine this being useful for VCA tracks to mute and solo groups wherever you are located in the session.
I would like this feature. So often I am lining up clips on different tracks, yes I can re-order the tracks to put them next to each other but then I need to put the order back afterwards. I would much rather lock my reference track and then be able to scroll up and down on the other tracks.
Vote For It If You Want This Feature
Avid need to know what features we need and currently the Pro Tools Ideascale is one way we can tell them what features we want. So if like me you would like this feature then vote for it on the Pro Tools Ideascale.