With the recent release of Pro Tools 12.8.2 at AES 2017 the MIDI features received some updates. With that in mind I thought it was time to revisit some of the existing MIDI features of Pro Tools. In this Free Video Tutorial I demonstrate the use of the Pencil tool in the MIDI editor.
Smart Tool For Audio, Pencil Tool For MIDI
It's helpful to think of the Pencil Tool as the smart tool for MIDI. Using the placement of the tool within notes and using modifier keys it is possible to manipulate MIDI without using any other tools within the MIDI editor.
- Clicking in an empty area of the piano roll - creates a note of default length and velocity
- Clicking in the middle of a note - Grab Tool
- Clicking at the end of a note - Trim Tool
- Option with tool not over a note - Selector Tool
- Option with tool over a note - Eraser Tool
- Control with tool not over a note - Marquee Grab Tool
- Control with tool over a note - Snap note to insertion point/beginning of edit selection
- Command - Velocity Trim
Watch the video to see these demonstrated. PC users should substitute Alt for Option. Control for Command and Start for Control.