In this free tutorial video from pureMix, Fab Dupont guides you through what to listen to when using compression. It will also help you sharpen your critical listening skills.
- 00:00 - Start
- 01:12 - Example 1 : Riding VS Compressor
- 06:00 - Example 2 : Softening the Peaks
- 06:51 - Example 3 : Bringing Up the Ghost Notes
- 07:46 - Example 4 : Changing the Tone
- 08:34 - Example 5 : Changing the Tone (again)
- 09:34 - The Sound of Older Recordings
- 10:06 - Example 6 : Tape Machine
Fab goes over the history of compression and plays examples of different instruments (vocals, snare, kick) with and without compression, including laying some drums off to tape. He covers...
- Compression principles
- Compression history
- Vocals thru UAD LA2
- Different snare compression sounds
- Bass drum compression
- Full drumset and bass to tape
If you would like to watch more free tutorials you can sign up for free at pureMix or browse the entire pureMix tutorial video library and subscribe to get advanced audio tutorials where Grammy winning engineers teach you mixing concepts by showing you their techniques and tricks while mixing song by Pharrell, Imagine Dragons, Ziggy Marley and more.