Russ, Mike, James and Dan chat through issues from the week's news as well as the usual tips, tricks and questions answered.
Groove 3 Videos That Grabbed Our Attention This Week
- Groove3 are pleased to welcome world-renowned DJ, author, producer and instructor, DJ Shortee to the Groove3 family! DJ Shortee in conjunction with Hal Leonard Books brings you “Shortee’s Complete DJ Method” which is one of the most comprehensive DJ instructional video series ever produced, and right now it’s available exclusively at Groove3.
- Groove 3 have released “SPL Transient Designer Plus Explained” by Bill Edstrom, reveals the ins and outs of this studio standard transient plug-in that can add punch and impact to your recordings.
- Also in the Spotlight Sessions section of the Groove 3 there is a video entitled “iZotope Vinyl Magnified” which covers this blast from the past plug-in inside and out.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Purchase and register any new UAD-2 OCTO PCIe Card or UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt OCTO Unit (Core, Custom, or Ultimate) from an authorised UA retailer between January 1st and March 31st, 2016, and get the API Vision Channel Strip, Studer A800 Tape Recorder, and Manley Variable Mu Compressor plug-ins free at product registration. No coupons or redemption codes are necessary. The plug-ins will be automatically added to your account once you register your new UAD-2 OCTO DSP Accelerator hardware.
We posted an article on When Should A Recording Hobby Become A Recording Business? a so in the podcast we thought it would be informative for each of us to briefly explain how we setup our own businesses and offer our tips and suggestions on how to survive and grow as a business.
Adam wrote an excellent article on his advice and tips for Dealing With Deadlines and so we shared our philosophies for dealing with deadlines.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
RSPE are planning some events with PMC now they have opened their PMC flagship Boutique. They are planning one event at their base in LA as well as an event at a studio too.
- Holger Fiesel wanted to know if Mike was still using a Nifty Drive for location recordings. Mike now used an Angelbird SSD2Go drive for location and mobile work. Check out his view on the Angelbird SSD drives here.
- Anthony Dominello wanted us to share with the community that the Softube S73 mastering plug-in doesn’t have any dithering built into it so if you need to add dither you need to use an additional plug-in for that.
Questions From The Community Sponsored By Create Pro
So you know that we love the Angelbird drives so do the guys at Create Pro. Check out their blog post on who is using them and then order your own.
- Michel Doucet asked if there is a way to adjust the panning of a stereo aux track with a Personus Faderport. Check out Russ’ review of the Faderport here.
- Garrett Miller is struggling to run more than several instances of Kontakt in Pro Tools, do we have any advice?
- Scott Gillen is having problems importing an mpeg2 video from Adobe Premiere Pro on a Pro Tools Windows system. You need the Avid Codecs and MPEG Streamclip and use Avid DNx36
- Glenn Skinner would like to know where Russ sourced his new studio furniture from. Glenn it comes from Kernow Carpentry which you can find Kernow Carpentry on Ebay.
- Nina Van Rossem is having problems with Pro Tools crashing on a Windows 10 or Windows 8.
- Jack Davis had a problem with files disappearing from a drive after having moved a session onto another drive. Disk Allocation is your friend here.
Team Find Of The Week Sponsored Eastwood Sound & Vision
So if you don’t already know Eastwood Sound and Vision have a loyalty reward system called eDisks. For every £1 spent customers receive 1 eDisks. Eastwood Sound And Vision are offering 10,000 eDisks (that’s a about £100 worth) of Eastwood Sound And Vision loyalty points when pre ordering the much anticipated Apogee Symphony MKII. eDisk points will be deposited once the item has been paid for and shipped. Now that’s a hard deal to beat and the team at PTE are all looking forward trying the Symphony MKII for ourselves. Eastwood Sound And Vision eDisk loyalty terms.
- Russ - Waves Abbey Road Plates Plugin
- Mike - Nugen Audio AB Assist free plug-in
- James - A 1958 Ludwig Black Beauty Snare that was played on the Theme to BBC sitcom Only Fools & Horses.
- Dan - Brian May Special Guitar, and in my opinion a strat killer in the studio. I haven’t put it down all week!