Goodhertz admit on their website that there a lot of mid/side plugins on the market. But for them, they have all failed to strike a perfect balance between simplicity and power. So they decided to built their own and the result is Midside.
After years of research on spatial audio and psychoacoustics as well hundreds of hours in the mastering room Goodhertz has produced Midside as their offering to try and strike that elusive balance: a plug-in powerful enough to be used on any stereo source; a plug-in that gets to the point quickly, but doesn’t skimp on the details; a plugin that accomplishes with just a handful of controls what other M/S plug-ins fail to accomplish to in 50 or more.
Goodhertz Midside Features
- High resolution M/S gain faders
- Mid & side tilt EQ’s, borrowed from Tiltshift
- M/S mute & solo functionality
- M/S panning (Advanced)
- M/S encoding/decoding (Advanced)
- Built-in metering
- Price $79
More On Stereo Width
idside offers several different modes for altering the width of the stereo field — each with its own unique sound & speciality.
- Width: The classic stereo width control.
- Natural: A natural sounding width control that uses everything we’ve learned about spatial audio and psychoacoustics.
- Shuffler A, B, C: Expansive, spacious stereo shuffler capable of both widening or narrowing the low end.
- M/S Blend: Directly blends between mid & side.
More On Mono Below
The Mono Below section makes it possible to control the stereo width of the bass directly — making stereo signals more mono, below a certain frequency. Especially common in mastering, Mono Below helps “ground” the low end in your stereo field, allowing you to create wide, spacious stereo images with bass that is still natural and well defined. It can also help make a master easier to cut to vinyl, can help increase headroom, and can help mixes translate to headphones.
- Strength control dials in the right amount of mono-izing.
- Sweepable centre frequency.
- Bass Makeup processing to maintain low end presence.
- Listen function to audition you’re filtering out.