Dan Cooper takes a look at this acoustic electronic drum VI showing the main features and sounds it can produce in and out of a mix context.
What Is Urban Drums?
Urban Drums is a drum kit mixed from various elements, mixed with synthesized drums samples
- 20ʼ Yamaha Bass Drum
- 13ʼ Tama metalwork piccolo Snare
- 12ʼ Hi Tom
- 16ʼ Floor Tom
- 14ʼ Zildjian medium crash
- 14ʼ Zildjian crash
- 13ʼ Paiste Hihat
- 20ʼ Zildjian jazz Ride
Each element was recorded with 3 microphones positions and we added some synth samples, you can adjust the pan, volume or mute of each one independently. You can also click on the elements on the interface while adjusting the microphones. You also have access to a set of presets. You can adjust the following…
- The Mapping Presets: we made some presets of the most popular drums formats (GM, V-DRUMS, IMAP, NSKIT) or you can create yours.
- The Midi Learn: you can remap any element to any key quickly by pressing the current key of the element you want to move, clicking on Midi Learn and the pressing the target key.
- The Hihat controller: we implemented an advanced hihat behavior, by default on C#2, the sample triggered will depend on the value of the controller, just like on a real Hihat.
- Overheads: here you can choose wether the overhead microphone position is mono or stereo.
- The Sensitivity will set the minimum volume for velocity 1 and give you access to all the dynamics that you want.
- The Reverb. We use a convolution reverb and you can adjust the amount of reverb applied to the whole drumset.
A big thank you to London based musician
for letting us use his song “Platform” in the video.