Community member Shannon Bliss-Kelly has run our speed test on his Macbook Pro Retina 13” to see how it handles Pro Tools 11. This is the ‘stuck on a plane or in a hotel room’ test, just the Macbook Pro, internal soundcard and internal drive, it’s just you, your Mac, an iLok, headphones and a USB micro keyboard.
Is it just fit for a few demo tracks or can you get some real work done… find out below.
Test Machine Specification
- MacBook Pro
- Intel Core i5
- Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
- Number of Processors: 1
- Total Number of Cores: 2
- L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
- Memory: 8 GB
Pro Tools Session Specification
- Internal Mac soundcard used
- Pro Tools 11.2.1
- 96Khz - maximum with internal sound card
- 24 bit
- 5 minutes of mono audio, with edits at every 1 second
- Volume automation recorded on every track
- Disk cache disabled to emulate native versions of Pro Tools
- All audio tracks had an instance of Avid Channel Strip and Dverb inserted
Results Of Test
- 30 Audio tracks reached with stable operation
- A mono audio track would record without issue along with 127 audio tracks in playback
- Instrument tracks were then added
- 30 MIDI tracks with an instance of AIR Boom running with MIDI data
- 30 audio tracks running fine with 30 instrument tracks with samples buffer rates at 1024
In summary Shannon wrote:
I think someone who wants a Macbook pro and wants to run pro tools this is a great start. if you are going to be running huge sessions then this isn’t worth getting. I don’t see myself ever really needing 128 tracks The most I’ve done is about 18. A Macbook pro 13 i5 8gb is really great for small pro tools sessions not intense large sessions like this test I think this laptop ideal for the on the go bedroom home studio producer as that is what I am at the moment.
If you want to check out our other test then see below, there’s also a link so you can download the session and try it yourself.
- Apple Macbook Pro Retina 15” Running Pro Tools On Internal Soundcard - Power Test
- Apple Mac Mini i5 Late 2012 Running Pro Tools On Internal Soundcard - Power Test
- Apple Mac Mini i7 2.3GHz Late 2012 Running Pro Tools On Internal Soundcard - Power Test
- Apple Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 3.5 GHz Running Pro Tools On Internal Soundcard - Power Test
- Download the Pro Tools test session here