Production Expert is proud to present a world exclusive. The first review of the new Townsend Labs Sphere Microphone system. Technical Editor James Ivey shows you around the Sphere L22 large dual diaphragm microphone and the Sphere and Sphere 180 software in a practical demonstration recording voice, drums and acoustic guitar. He talks about how to get the best out of the L22 mic and the Sphere software to get the sound of some of those classic money can't buy vintage microphones.
Sphere L22 Microphone is a high precision, dual-capsule, large-diaphragm condenser studio microphone, which can be used with or without modeling
- 10 Foot (3 Meter) Breakout Cable
- Shock Mount
- Hard Mount
- Hard Carrying Case
- Plush Dust Cover
- Sphere™ DSP algorithms – accurately models a wide range of the most sought-after microphones in the world.
- Re-Mic technology – allows the user to change the mic type and polar pattern even after tracking.
- Many new and patented features – including Off-Axis Correction™ (which can produce more accurate polar patterns for reduced bleed, room coloration, and feedback).
- Supports a wide range of plug-in formats – including UAD, VST2, VST3, Audio Unit, and AAX Native on Mac and Windows.
Specifications and System Requirements
Sphere L22™ Microphone
- Equivalent Noise Level: 7 dB-A
- Max SPL at 0.5% THD: 140dB (with -20dB pad engaged)
- Pad Attenuation: -10db and -20dB
- Sensitivity: 22 mV/Pa
- Output Connector: 5-pin male XLR
- Breakout Cable: 10’ (3m) 5-pin female XLR to dual 3-pin male XLR
- Weight (mic only): 1.7 lbs. (770 grams)
- Dimensions (mic only): 8.9" x 2.5" (225mm x 63mm)
- Output Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance: >1000 Ohms
- Phantom Power
- Voltage: 44 to 52 V per channel
- Current: 5 mA per channel typical, 8 mA at max SPL
Sphere™ DSP Plug-In
- AAX Native
- Audio Unit (Mac only)
Supported Operating Systems:
Native (AAX, VST and AU):
- Mac OSX 10.8.5 and above
- Windows 7 and above
Apollo Interfaces and UAD-2 hardware (AAX, VST, AU, and RTAS)
- Mac OSX 10.9.5 and above
- Windows 7 and above
Current Microphone Models:
- Sphere Linear
All modelled product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Townsend Labs Inc. These product names and descriptions are provided for the sole purpose of identifying the specific products that were studied during Sphere’s sound model development.
Pricing for the Townsend Labs Sphere L22 microphone modeling system:
- Suggested Retail Price: $1799*
- Expected Advertised Price: $1499*
- Indiegogo Exclusive Pricing: $1199*
They plan to go live with the Indiegogo campaign next week so make sure you are on our mailing list to be notified when the campaign launches. Orders will be delivered on a first-come-first-served basis.