In this review for Pro Tools Expert Technical Editor James Ivey takes a look at the Neve 4081 Quad Mic Pre. This box offers 4 remote-controllable Neve 1081 mic pres in a 2U half rack unit. If it's classic Neve 1081 tone you are after with a modern twist this could well be the unit for you - If you can pry it out of James' hands that is.
The Neve 4081 Quad Mic Pre
Every function of the 4081 can be controlled directly from the front panel or by remote control using a Mac or PC with the Neve Remote Control software. This provides a simple and elegant solution for users of Pro Tools, Nuendo, Cubase and similar DAW systems. Multiple 4081 units can be linked together to create up to 64 independent channels of mic preamps or line level inputs – all controlled from a single computer.
Now with version 2.00 software, metering information is displayed within the Remote Mic Control window, which is passed back from the 4081 unit(s) to the Remote Mic Control software running on the computer being used for remote control.
- Remote Control of legendary Neve microphone preamp design
- Four genuine 1081 Mic preamp channels in a single 9.5” wide unit
- Two units can be linked together to provide 8-channels in a 19” unit with optional 19″ rack-mount kit
- Remote control using a Mac or PC with Neve Remote Control software
- XLR Mic input can be switched between mic and electronically balanced Line
- Switchable 48V phantom power supply
- Digital I/O Option: firewire/AES interface with four channels of A/D conversion to either AES or firewire and 4 channels of D/A conversion. Analogue Insert (pre A/D converter) per channel.