Waves in association with BSS Audio has modeled the super-flexible, super-punchy BSS DPR-402 dynamics processor, popular for decades among studio, live and broadcast engineers. The prices is normally $149 but they are offering it for $99 for a limited period.
This BSS dynamics processor was well loved by studio and live sound engineers alike. When I was running a mobile recording facility, I had a good number of these in my processing rack and when mixing live sound I would spec this whenever possible. and so the BSS DPR-402 dynamics processor was known for its punch, versatility, and the explosive sound it delivered on countless rock, dance and hip-hop hits since the 80s.
Working in association with BSS Audio, Waves has modeled this long-unavailable unit, bringing back its diverse functions and sounds, and adding new features for extra flexibility and ease of use.
BSS DPR-402 can be used as a straightforward compressor, de-esser or limiter. But it really shows its colours when these processes are combined, and when it is used to selectively process individual parts of the audio band, leaving the rest of the spectrum untouched. The possibilities range from low-frequency expansion and narrow-band compression to general dynamic equalization to create surprising enhancement effects.
Waves has also added five features unique to the plugin:
- A MS matrix to separately process the mid and the sides,
- A Mix control to balance the processed and unprocessed signal,
- A Noise control to add or remove the modeled noise of the original unit,
- A Gain Reduction control
- An option for separate L/R metering.
Waves BSS DPR-402 Plug-in Features Summary
- Created in association with BSS Audio
- Precise software model of the super-versatile BSS DPR-402 Compressor/Peak Limiter/De-Esser
- Separately control the dynamics of selected frequency ranges
- 12 modes providing quick access to diverse combinations of dynamics processing
- Two independent sidechains per channel for extra flexibility
- Auto mode for program-dependent attack and release control
- MS matrix for separate mid-sides processing