Pro Tools tips, tricks, support and news for users of Pro Tools. Free Pro Tools video tutorials and free Pro Tools plug-ins. We support both the music and post production community.
We offer advice for users of all versions of Pro Tools both current and legacy formats. We’re independent and are not affiliated with Avid or their associated companies.
Entries in update (84)
With the the latest update, Ozone 6.1, iZotope has included powerful processing features and brought back a popular feature from Ozone 5.
New Features in iZotope Ozone 6.1
Users can add an analog-type sound with the Maximizer’s new Tube Limiting mode, which combines the warmth of final stage limiting with the ease and precision of digital maximizing. The resulting audio has a tube warmth while remaining competitively loud and appropriate for modern mastering. With a new algorithm inspired by tube hardware limiters like the Fairchild 670, the Tube Limiter adds a vintage sonic character to Ozone’s maximizing algorithm.
Adaptive Release helps users produce louder, clearer, and fuller masters. This mode for Ozone’s Dynamics module intelligently automates the difficult task of finding the right release times. The compressor actually interacts with the audio in real time, adjusting the release values based on the transient properties of the incoming signal.
iZotope Bring Back Module Presets From Ozone 5
Based on customer feedback, iZotope has also brought back Module Presets, a highly requested feature from existing customers who owned previous versions of Ozone. Module Presets help users to experiment with different module settings. Users can more easily load and save settings for individual modules without affecting the settings of other modules.
iZotope’s Ozone product manager Izzy Maxwell told us….
We’re really excited to make this free update available to the Ozone 6 community. We’re always listening to customer feedback, and we wanted to bring some exciting new processing into Ozone 6 while adding back a popular feature.
Other additions and enhancements to Ozone 6.1 include selectable segmentation loops, automatic track numbers on export, and sound quality improvements.
iZotope Ozone 6.1 Pricing
The Ozone 6.1 update is free for existing Ozone 6 customers. For those who don’t yet own Ozone, Ozone 6, Ozone 6 Advanced, and upgrades are on sale through April 9.
Acon Digital have announced that the new version 1.1 of their Equalize plug-in has been released. They have listened to feedback from their users and have implemented several new features and enhancements.
New Features In Acon Digital Equalize v1.1
- Resizable graphical user interface
- Multiple band selection
- Resonance control for shelves and cuts
- Reduced the CPU usage in the graphical rendering
- Logarithmic representation of band frequencies when using parameter automation
Acon Digital Equalize is available for both Windows (PC) and OS X (Macintosh) for $99.90 from their online shop. Both 32 and 64 bit versions are available in AAX, VST and Audio Units (OS X only) plug-in formats. The update is also free for all Equalize customers.
EdiLoad is the Sound Editor’s Edit List Toolkit. It conforms location audio, re-conforms Pro Tools sessions, imports edit data from Pro Tools sessions and exports a variety of files to aid the sound post-production process. EdiLoad v3 contains a new ‘Compare’ window which allows users to find the difference between vision lists and create a list of picture changes. This was previously performed using the EdiTrace website, however this new feature contains advanced VFX tracing controls to match updated visual fx shots. Watch our show & tell review to see how it could work for you.
What’s New In V3.2.2?
- New Source/Target selection code in Compare Window for quicker re-fresh and display of selection in group rows.
- Changes to PTX and PTF file definitions to stop EdiLoad opening session files when double clicked in OS X.
- Bug fix to stop crash when loading multiple EDLs into compare window that contain a ‘Load’ error.
Existing owners can get the update from the Sounds In Sync Download page.
We wanted to let you know that we are working hard right now on the brand new Pro Tools Expert website.
The original site has been creaking under the strain for at least two years now, but rather than just do a makeover we wanted to address some real pain points on the existing site namely:
- 30% of all visitors come from tablets and phones, so a responsive design is essential.
- There’s a lot of information on Pro Tools Expert that runs into thousands of articles, reviews and video tutorials, finding them right now is a pain in the ass.
- Video is the core of what we do so we’re working on bringing you an amazing video experience.
- THE BIG SECRET our idea about the future of sharing our combined knowledge and experience - watch this space.
We tell you this because during with the changes there may be some things get broken on the old site such as links and stuff, we will also start to pull some parts of the existing site down. We apologise for any inconvenience but we think it will be worth it.
We’ve shared some of our new features and our big idea with some of our partners who love it, in most cases they’ve gone ‘wow!’ we hope you do too!
We should be live by the end of this month so get ready!
Univeral Audio are now shipping UAD version 8.0 software introducing Apollo Expanded and Console 2 software.
What’s New in UAD v8.0 Software
- Apollo Expanded featuring Console 2.0 Software
- Sound Machine Wood Works Plug-In
- Distortion Essentials Plug-In Bundle
- Friedman Amplifiers Plug-In Collection
- (Mac) Support for OS X Yosemite
Console 2.0 Software
Console 2.0 software includes over 25 new features, we listed them here when they were announced.
Reviews Of New UAD Powered Software
We got our hands on the new software early, so check out our reviews here.
- Sound Machine Wood Works Plug-In review
- Distortion Essentials Plug-In Bundle
- Friedman Amplifiers Plug-In Collection
Free Download For Existing Users
UAD Apollo Expanded software is a free download from the Universal Audio web site.
Back in December FabFilter updated Pro-MB and Pro-Q 2, in which they introduced Retina support and new features in the Pro-MB. However they have found a couple of issues that they wanted to fix as soon as possible. These latest versions contain these various bug fixes along with small improvements.
What Is New In FabFilter Pro-MB1.11 & Pro-Q 2.03?
- Fixed a bug that caused knobs and sliders to respond incorrectly to subtle mouse movements while dragging on OS X and on High DPI displays on Windows.
- Pro-MB: Renamed the existing interface size options to Medium and Extra Large, and added a new intermediate Large option that will fit comfortably on 1920x1080 monitors on OS X.
- Pro-MB: Fixed a bug when deleting a muted band in Dynamic Phase mode: the mute effect would remain audible after deleting the band.
- Pro-MB: Fixed display behavior when zoomed in horizontally: display curves and dragging would not work correctly for bands docked at the left or right edges of the frequency scale.
- Pro-MB: Fixed sidechain filtering control behaviour when zoomed in horizontally in the display.
- Pro-MB: Fixed possibly incorrect gain change reporting for bands that use compression in combination with a Stereo Link setting below 100%.
- Pro-Q 2: Fixed a bug in the VST 2 plug-in (introduced in Pro-Q 2.02) that caused the Auto Gain setting to always be set to Off when loading sessions saved with Pro-Q 2.01.
Avid has announced the release of S6 Software version 1.4 for the S6 Master Module and associated workstations. This software release delivers a number of new features for all S6 users. S6 Software v1.4 includes the following new and changed features….
- Input and Output Assignment Improvements
- Automation Trim Metering and Write Indication on Fader Modules
- New Preference Settings for Banking, Navigation and Display
- Home Screen Settings
- Page Switches on the Master Module
- Auto Talkback
- Displaying Names in Asian Characters
- Expand Mode Improvements for EQ and DYN Knob Sets
- Progress Indicators for Session Load and Workstation Connect
The Auto Talkback feature will be a very welcome addition for a lot of smaller production facilities that wee used to this featue on the ICON Consoles With an X-Mon. For more detail on exactly what is in the v1.4 update see the following documents:
Registered users will find the installers in their Avid Account under S6 Software Updates.
Avid, the makers of Pro Tools have announced Pro Tools 11.3.1 for both Mac and PC.
The update resolves bugs for both Mac and Windows users of Pro Tools 11.
Pro Tools 11.3.1 System Requirements
- Pro Tools 11.3.1 supports Mac OS X 10.10 & 10.10.1 (Yosemite), 10.9.5 (Mavericks) and 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)
- Pro Tools 11.3.1 supports Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Windows 7 SP1
A full list of issues resolved are shown below.
Pro Tools 10 users have a treat, Avid have announced Pro Tools 10.3.10
The Pro Tools 10.3.10 updated announced February 5th contains the following fixes and is free to download from Avid.
Mac users please note Pro Tools 10.3.10 is NOT qualified with Mac OS X 10.9 or higher
Universal Audio have been working on on their new Console 2. For those wondering what you get then here is the complete list of 28 updates to the Apollo Console software.
Apollo 2 Console Updates - The Complete List
- 64 Bit Retina application in with new UI
- Channel Strip Window
- Channel Strip Presets
- Drag and drop plug-ins
- UAD Monitor/Record per channel
- Plug-in categories
- ALT monitoring with Trim (2 ALT Speakers)