Pro Tools tips, tricks, support and news for users of Pro Tools. Free Pro Tools video tutorials and free Pro Tools plug-ins. We support both the music and post production community.
We offer advice for users of all versions of Pro Tools both current and legacy formats. We’re independent and are not affiliated with Avid or their associated companies.
Entries in update (79)
Back in December FabFilter updated Pro-MB and Pro-Q 2, in which they introduced Retina support and new features in the Pro-MB. However they have found a couple of issues that they wanted to fix as soon as possible. These latest versions contain these various bug fixes along with small improvements.
What Is New In FabFilter Pro-MB1.11 & Pro-Q 2.03?
- Fixed a bug that caused knobs and sliders to respond incorrectly to subtle mouse movements while dragging on OS X and on High DPI displays on Windows.
- Pro-MB: Renamed the existing interface size options to Medium and Extra Large, and added a new intermediate Large option that will fit comfortably on 1920x1080 monitors on OS X.
- Pro-MB: Fixed a bug when deleting a muted band in Dynamic Phase mode: the mute effect would remain audible after deleting the band.
- Pro-MB: Fixed display behavior when zoomed in horizontally: display curves and dragging would not work correctly for bands docked at the left or right edges of the frequency scale.
- Pro-MB: Fixed sidechain filtering control behaviour when zoomed in horizontally in the display.
- Pro-MB: Fixed possibly incorrect gain change reporting for bands that use compression in combination with a Stereo Link setting below 100%.
- Pro-Q 2: Fixed a bug in the VST 2 plug-in (introduced in Pro-Q 2.02) that caused the Auto Gain setting to always be set to Off when loading sessions saved with Pro-Q 2.01.
Avid has announced the release of S6 Software version 1.4 for the S6 Master Module and associated workstations. This software release delivers a number of new features for all S6 users. S6 Software v1.4 includes the following new and changed features….
- Input and Output Assignment Improvements
- Automation Trim Metering and Write Indication on Fader Modules
- New Preference Settings for Banking, Navigation and Display
- Home Screen Settings
- Page Switches on the Master Module
- Auto Talkback
- Displaying Names in Asian Characters
- Expand Mode Improvements for EQ and DYN Knob Sets
- Progress Indicators for Session Load and Workstation Connect
The Auto Talkback feature will be a very welcome addition for a lot of smaller production facilities that wee used to this featue on the ICON Consoles With an X-Mon. For more detail on exactly what is in the v1.4 update see the following documents:
Registered users will find the installers in their Avid Account under S6 Software Updates.
Avid, the makers of Pro Tools have announced Pro Tools 11.3.1 for both Mac and PC.
The update resolves bugs for both Mac and Windows users of Pro Tools 11.
Pro Tools 11.3.1 System Requirements
- Pro Tools 11.3.1 supports Mac OS X 10.10 & 10.10.1 (Yosemite), 10.9.5 (Mavericks) and 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)
- Pro Tools 11.3.1 supports Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Windows 7 SP1
A full list of issues resolved are shown below.
Pro Tools 10 users have a treat, Avid have announced Pro Tools 10.3.10
The Pro Tools 10.3.10 updated announced February 5th contains the following fixes and is free to download from Avid.
Mac users please note Pro Tools 10.3.10 is NOT qualified with Mac OS X 10.9 or higher
Universal Audio have been working on on their new Console 2. For those wondering what you get then here is the complete list of 28 updates to the Apollo Console software.
Apollo 2 Console Updates - The Complete List
- 64 Bit Retina application in with new UI
- Channel Strip Window
- Channel Strip Presets
- Drag and drop plug-ins
- UAD Monitor/Record per channel
- Plug-in categories
- ALT monitoring with Trim (2 ALT Speakers)
Our friends at McDSP have announced v6 of their excellent plug-ins. The new update offers:
- Support for VST and VST3 plug-in formats.
- New user interface features
- Faster loading times, and algorithm optimizations across all formats are just some of the improvements in the v6 release.
- Enhanced support for the Avid S6 and S3 control surfaces.
- Artist presets from the likes of Dave Pensado, Kevin Churko, Joe Barresi, and many others are also included.
The McDSP v6 release also comes with significant sonic improvements. All AU and VST versions of McDSP v6 plug-ins now use the same algorithms previously only found on the Pro Tools AAX DSP and AAX Native versions.
McDSP founder Colin McDowell says
“We knew support for every major plug-in format had to be great where it counted - the sound”
The new AU and VST v6 versions, like their AAX counterparts, have a 64-bit audio path for maximum fidelity, realtime control smoothing just like analog gear, and the ability to operate above 0 dB to handle the hottest of mixes without clipping.
The McDSP v6 release will be available in March 2015. McDSP v6 upgrade pricing will be:
- v5 to v6: $15 (HD or Native)
- v4 to v6: $69 Native, $89 HD
Customers purchasing v5 upgrades or plug-ins after January 2 2015 will receive free v5 to v6 upgrades. More information about the new McDSP v6 product line is available at www.mcdsp.com.
Avid have today announced Pro Tools 11.3 with compataibilty for Apple OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Avid write;
Issues Resolved in Pro Tools | Software 11.3
- Pro Tools reports an “Automation Too Dense (AAE –9155) error when soloing/unsoloing. (PTSW-196601)
- Importing MXF files from Pro Tools into Media Composer can result in incorrect files being linked due to matching sourceID. (PTSW-194005)
- Pro Tools reports an AAE-9173 error during real-time bounce to disk. (PTSW-195074/PTSW-197275)
- The timing of automation may be off when there is delay induced by plug-ins further down in the signal chain. (PTSW-196906)
- When loaded as a session, certain AAF Files exported from MC 7.0.4 and 8.3 may cause Pro Tools to quit unexpectedly. (MCDEV-2132)
- Pro Tools links to incorrect files when working with chunked MXF video. (UME-1104)
- Some types of ProRes 422 files show black rather than the expected video when played back in Pro Tools 11.1.3 and higher. (UME-1101)
- Certain Apple Pro Res files do not display correctly in Pro Tools (they appear as blank video) even though the files open without presenting an error. (PTSW-196429)
- Pro Tools with Avid Interplay presents and offline media error when using the Send to Playback command even though all media is online. (PTSW-195195)
System Requirements and Compatibility with Pro Tools 11 Software (details)
- Pro Tools 11.3 supports Mac OS X 10.10 & 10.10.1 (Yosemite), 10.9.5 (Mavericks) and 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)
- Pro Tools 11.3 supports Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Windows 7 SP1
- Avid Artist, S3, and MCPro Users: EuControl and Workstation are not officially qualified with Yosemite at this time. Upgrading to Yosemite is not recommended yet for use with these products. If using Pro Tools 11.3 with these on Mountain Lion or Mavericks you should install EuControl 3.2 or higher (My Artist Login)
- S6 owners should update to version 1.3 to use Pro Tools 11.3 (Avid Account > My Products > S6 Software Update > Show)
Andre Zeugner from Adam Audio has been in touch to tell us that German entrepreneurs with the CWM holding company on December 11th, 2014 have acquired ownership of ADAM Professional Audio . As we reported earlier, ADAM Professional Audio ran into difficulties with capitial funding after taking on too many projects and products.
The new owners have already gone on record that their goal is to invest in ADAM Audio and bring production back up to normal as well as to invest in new products which will strengthen ADAM Audio’s already excellent market position.
A representative of the new shareholder, Sebastian Canzlertold us….
ADAM Audio is known worldwide in the pro audio industry for its superb speakers. Due to the high precision and quality of the products as well as the large technical expertise of its employees, the company has become very quickly a leading supplier of professional audio monitors. All of this provides a very good basis for further growth, which we strive for together with the existing team.
Sven Schmöle, Managing Director of ADAM Audio added…
With CWM we have a partner on our site that supports our passion for innovation and helps us realize our full potential. Our task now is to resume production as soon as possible in order to supply our customers with products again.
FabFilter Holiday Sale
To celebrate the end of the year, they are running a Holiday Sale in their online web store. Until January 1st 2015, they are offering 25% discount on all of their plug-in bundles.
Existing FabFilter owners should also log into your account and you may well find some additional offers just for you.
FabFilter Pro-MB and Pro-Q2 Free Updates Including retina Support
They have just released updates for their Pro-MB and Pro-Q 2 plug-ins which introduce Retina support on OS X and High DPI support on Windows. Also in these updates the Pro-MB now features interface resizing, Full Screen mode, horizontal zooming, side chain spectrum visualization and more!
These updates are free for existing users, and they are fully compatible with existing sessions and presets.
FabFilter Pro-Q2 Free Tutorial
Watch Russ’ free tutorial on how to match the EQ of two tracks with the FabFilter Pro-Q2 plug-in
Yosemite Users, Don’t Do It!
Avid have announced the latest update for Pro Tools 11. However, disappointingly it doesn’t include support for Apple’s current OS - Yosemite. Avid tell us that Pro Tools 11.2.2 does support Mac OS X 10.9, 10.9.1, 10.9.2, 10.9.3, 10.9.4 (Mavericks) and Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion).
On Windows, Pro Tools 11.2.2 supports Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Windows 7 SP1
Avid S6 Users, Don’t Do it!
Avid also say that S6 owners should not update to Pro Tools 11.2.2 at this time.
HD Users - New HD Drivers & HDX Firmware
Pro Tools HDX and HD Native users, be sure to install the 11.2.2 HD drivers. The HD drivers may be found in the Driver Installers folder included in the 11.2.2 download.
Pro Tools 11.2.2 requires a firmware update for HDX card. The firmware update will take place during Pro Tools launch after you have updated. Avid tell us that the firmware update has been tested for backwards compatibility with Pro Tools 10.3.6 and later.
New Versions Of Revibe, Space & X-Form
If you are upgrading to 11.2.2 and you own ReVibe, Space and X-Form you should update to the 11.2.2 versions of thes plug-ins which should be available from the respective plug-in pages on the Avid site or in you Avid Acoount.
Wait Until You have Downtime Before You Upgrade
As we always say, if you are in the middle of a project, consider very carefully whether you should run any upgrades. We recommend you wait for some downtime so that if there are any issues you have time to fix them or go back to the previous version.
Issues Resolved in Pro Tools | Software 11.2.2
- In certain mixer configurations, virtual instruments on Auxiliary Input or Instrument tracks that are configured to receive MIDI from standalone MIDI tracks are now correctly time-aligned in offline bounces. (PTSW-195783)