Entries in update (71)
You may recall a recent Pro Tools Expert article about using the Mac Mini for your home studio.
In the original article we talked about why we thought it made a good choice for Mac lovers on a budget, how Apple have made it an even better proposition.
The new Mac Mini has got a refresh with:
- Fourth-generation Intel Core processors
- Faster integrated graphics
- 2 x Thunderbolt 2 ports
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible
Our friends at iZotope have been very busy. It was only a month ago that they announced RX4 and RX4 Advanced, now they are announcing a new version of their mastering suites Ozone 6 and Ozone 6 Advanced.
What iZotope say about Ozone 6…
The best of analog and digital. A completely redesigned, modern interface. And a new module that fuses the precision of an equalizer with the musical ballistics of a compressor.
Ozone 5 Sale
- If you buy Ozone 5 now at the special price of $199 (normally $249) then you wil also get a free upgrade to Ozone 6 when it is released.
- If you buy Ozone 5 Advanced now at the special price of $599 (normally $999) then you wil also get a free upgrade to Ozone 6 Advanced when it is released.
Ozone 6 Pricing Plans Including Upgrades
iZotope have also announced the Ozone 6 prices including upgrades
- Ozone 6 will start with a special promotional price of $199 before returning to the normal price of $249
- Ozone 6 Advanced will start with a special promotional price of $599 before returning to the normal price of $999
- Owners of Ozone 1 to 5 will be able to upgrade to Ozone 6 for $99
- Owners of Ozone 1 to 5 Advanced will be able to upgrade to Ozone 6 Adavnced for $299
The team at Pro Tools PC have been quietly working in the background preparing a raft of improvements to their range of PCs especially configured to play nicely with Pro Tools on the Windows platform.
Thunderbolt 2 - They have updated the well established 4 Core Pro Tools PC to the latest Processor and Chipset technology which also brings the expanded connectivity of Thunderbolt 2 as standard.
More Cores - They have developed two brand new models the “6 Core “and the “8 Core” for massive processing power and even more RAM capability, with Thunderbolt 2 as a future option these machines are packed with power and connectivity.
So why stop at 6 and 8 core models? They didn’t want to and so they are currently developing the “12 Core” and “24 Core” models, these will feature the same optional Thunderbolt 2 expandability as our 6 and 8 core models as well as the option of up to 128GB of RAM.
- Support for OSX 10.10 Yosemite
- 64-bit AAX support for Pro Tools 11
- 64-bit VST support for Nuendo
- Remote Transport Sync support for 64-bit applications
- Cancel port test
- Subscription option for Standard
- Comprehensive error messages with detailed help
At Last Speakerphone 2.1 64 bits For Windows Is Available
Existing owners of Speakerphone can now get your free 64 bits and Pro Tools 11 AAX update v2.1.3 of this great plug-in. I know this has been the deal breaker for some folk not upgrading to Pro Tools 11.
What’s In Speakerphone 2.1
- Fully backward compatible with Speakerphone 2 (and 1), reads presets, settings and automation and sounds the same.
- 64 bits and 32 bits, all available plug-in formats (Windows: AAX and VST, Mac: AAX, VST, AudioUnit and MAS)
- AAX (does require Pro Tools 10.3.8 or up, and of course also fully supported: Pro Tools 11)
- New smartphone, tablet and flatscreen TV speaker IRs added!
- New preset browser
- Factory presets also available in host format (Pro Tools, VST and AudioUnit on Mac)
- Retina display support (Mac)
So anyone who opens their iLok License Manager, as I did this morning, should be presented with this rather unfriendly warning that you need to update your License manager software.
Think Before You Update
As we say with all updates, irrespective of where they come from, do not do the update if you are in the middle of a key project. Wait until the project is completed, and it doesn’t matter if its Pro Tools, Waves or iLok, the same message applies. The only difference here is if you need to work on your iLok licenses you have to do the update.
So I clicked on the OK button and was presented with this window which explains what fixes are in this new version of iLok License Manager.
FabFilter have just released FabFilter Pro-Q 2.01, a free update for existing Pro-Q 2 users with improvements to the piano display and solo mode, along with various bug fixes. FabFilter Pro-Q 2.01 is fully compatible with Pro-Q 2.00 and they recommend all Pro-Q 2 users to upgrade to version 2.01.
What’s new in FabFilter Pro-Q 2.01?
- Improved the piano display: you can now drag multiple selected curves in parallel, and double-clicking the piano display creates a new curve at this position.
- Improved solo mode for Bell and Notch filters to better isolate the frequency area of interest. When soloing Low/High-Cut filters, the Q value now always stays the same, making it easier to just fine-tune the frequency.
- Added support for displaying the current EQ curve in Avid’s S6 control surface.
- Fixed a bug in the Auto Gain feature: it would not correctly compensate bands that are in per-channel mode (L/R or M/S). For example, splitting a stereo band would double the auto gain effect. This now works as intended while preserving compatibility with existing saved sessions. When working with an existing session that uses Auto Gain, simply disable and re-enable Auto Gain to get the new behaviour.
- Fixed a bug in the VST3 plugin that could cause the sound to stay the same (not using the new parameter values) after using Undo or loading a preset.
- Fixed a bug in the VST3 plugin that caused the saved parameter state to be ignored when opening a saved Audio Montage in WaveLab 8 (this fix is not needed for WaveLab 8.5.10).
- Fixed a bug in the VST3 plugin that caused the latency to be reported as zero when opening a saved Audio Montage in WaveLab 8 and 8.5.
- Fixed a bug in Natural Phase mode that could cause an incorrect frequency response with some rare combinations of frequency and slope settings with Low Cut and Notch filters.
- Fixed a bug when double-clicking a control to enter a new value: clicking outside the input box now accepts the new value while previously it would discard it.
- Fixed a bug in the AU plugin: pressing Cmd+Q to quit the host while Pro-Q 2 was in full screen mode would cause it to crash.
- Fixed a bug when zooming out in the display when Analyzer Freeze is enabled: this would create a large blob on the left side of the display in the analyzer.
- Fixed a bug with Full Screen mode in the 32-bit VST2 plugin in Cubase on Mac OS X when ‘Always on top’ was enabled: the plugin window would float on top of the full screen window. In addition, keystrokes are now correctly passed to Cubase in this case (e.g. playback start/stop).
- Small other bug fixes and improvements.
It is interesting that most of the bug fixes relate to platforms other than Pro Tools. Maybe that reinforces a comment made to us over and over that although developers complain about Avid and the problems of writing plug-ins for Avid, actually they tell us that getting the plug-ins to work in other formats is much more problematic.
Sonivox have announced that their products are now AAX 64 bit and now Pro Tools 11 compatible.
- AU 32/64-bit.
- VST 32/64-bit.
- AAX 64-bit.
- Stand Alone 32-bit.
Updated Sonivox Products:
- Twist 2.2 Spectral Morphing Synthesizer.
- Wobble 2.2 Dubstep Grime Generator.
- Vocalizer Pro 1.2 Vocoder Musical Instrument.
- Big Bang Universal Drums 2.2 Flagship Drum Instrument.
- Big Bang Cinematic Percussion 2.2 Cinematic Percussion Instrument.
- Eighty Eight Ensemble 2.2 Flagship Piano with Splits & Layers.
- Playa 1.4 Flagship Hip Hop Instrument.
- Playa Aggro Electro Boom 1.4 Legendary Hip Hop / Urban Instrument.
- Playa Strings 1.4 Legendary Hip Hop Strings Instrument.
Version 2.0 owners (or Vocalizer Pro/Playa Series Version 1.0) are entitled to a free update. Current owners of earlier versions can purchase an upgrade.
Akai have announced their MPC version 1.7 software with a massive amount of new features, one feature that will make Pro Tools users happy is AAX compatibility for Pro Tools 11.
Main Feature Updates For MPC 1.7
- Reworked browser with adjustable volume on sample auditioning
- AAX plugin compatibility with Pro Tools 10 and 11
- Real-time loop-style sample layering, “Direct Record” mode
- Included Hybrid 3 synth
- New mixer architecture with better metering and better control
- Filter the information displayed on the mixer for customized information views
- Improved audio export
- Expanded track automation, with visual feedback
- Multi-processor audio path for better performance
- More keyboard shortcuts
Akai MPC 1.7 Video
Avid have announced Pro Tools 11.2.1 for Mac and Windows.
A highlight for many Pro Tools users will be the long overdue bug fix for delay compensation especially when using multiple outputs on virtual instruments.
All the bug fixes in Pro Tools 11.2.1 are shown below.
Issues Resolved in Pro Tools | Software 11.2.1
- When using the Import Session Data command, Pro Tools no longer incorrectly copies audio files when “Clips and Media” is not selected in the “Track Data to Import” menu. (PTSW-194293)
- You can now enter a new time position in the Transport Counter during playback. (PTSW-195388)
- Pro Tools no longer quits unexpectedly when creating sessions from templates or importing or rendering audio from an ISIS workspace. (PTSW-195338)
- You can now nudge MIDI notes after they have been marquee-selected using the Grabber tool. (PTSW-195626)
- Pro Tools no longer stops working when you play back a session, and then reactivate an inactive track that contains a send. (PTSW-195172)
- Pro Tools no longer quits unexpectedly after selecting “Expand Channels to New Tracks (by match Criteria).” (PTSW-192725)
- Plug-in delay compensation now works correctly. (PTSW-195299)
- When routing multiple outputs from a virtual instrument on an Instrument track to multiple Auxiliary Input tracks, the destination Aux tracks are now correctly delay-compensated and remain time-aligned. (PTSW-188341, PTSW-190873)
- It is now possible to view automation lanes of plug-in parameter whose names contain more than 31 characters. (PTSW-195113) Audio waveforms are now correctly updated when waveform view is fully zoomed out. (PTSW-195086)
- The “Trim Clip to File Boundaries” command now affects only selected clips. (PTSW-193874)
- Parameter values in AAX plug-ins are now displaying correctly on control surfaces. (PTSW-195073)
- Master Fader track metering on HDX systems now works correctly. (PTSW-194044)
- If “Plug-in Controls Default to Auto-Enabled” is selected, recalling settings of a multi-mono plug-in now consistently recalls the playlist values for those controls. (PTSW-194043)