Entries in tips (126)
In the industry we sometimes find ourselves faced with a situation where in we have difficulty getting paid for the work we do. The scenario is something like this:
You get a gig, a remix for example, and while you are excited to do it and are happy at the prospect of being paid, the agreement is perhaps not cemented and dates are not given for final payment etc.
You finish your work in a timely manner, and you are happy with it, the client is happy, but the funds are still outstanding even though you have dropped the files and invoice, the client has mysteriously forgotten that the balance is outstanding, and their phones are suddenly going to voice mail and they cannot be contacted…
Russ shows how to get Vienna Ensemble Pro working on two Macs via ethernet.
Russ responds to a question about how to get that tight driving sound often heard on pop tracks. He uses just the free stuff that comes with Pro Tools.
Russ shows how a band with just a couple of mics can make a mono recording sound big. All with the FREE stuff in Pro Tools.
This is an excellent video well worth watching in light of the recent release of AAX 64-bit versions of their plug-ins.
If you were previously using Spectrasonics plug-ins in Pro Tools 10 and below, you may be able to update your settings now to take full advantage of the new 64-bit engine.
Here’s a challenge and it will take just 5 hours to complete - try it and you’ll be amazed at the difference.
- Spend One Hour Watching Some Tutorials
Believe it or not, we all watch video tutorials on the team, learning is a life-long pursuit which one never completes. There are going to be things you own that you’ve never got around to fully learning - it might be Pro Tools, a plug-in, some hardware - you know. Spend one hour this week learning how to use one of those things. Most of the videos I make are born out of me being inquisitive and asking “I wonder if this is possible”.
- Spend One Hour This Week Watching Some Industry Gurus
If you are yet to watch any of the interviews on Pensado’s Place then check it out. Dave and Herb regularly have industry giants on the show - go over and drink in the wisdom. If you’re a post user then let us know some of the cool post videos you’ve watched recently.
- Spend One Hour Reading A Manual
You’ll be surprised what is hidden between the covers of those manuals. You may have already read all your manuals, but sometimes things don’t go in and sometimes things fall out.
- Spend One Hour Listening To Some New Recordings
I love to hear a new recording and it’s never been easier to find them. It’s as easy as checking out the iTunes album charts, searching Spotify or a hundred and one other music streaming sites. If you’ve listened to something cool recently then let us know and we can all check it out, it doesn’t have to be new, just a new discovery - if you’ve yet to check it out then give “Every Kingdom” by Ben Howard a spin.
- Spend One Hour Learning A Fundamental
It may be the guitar, drums, acoustics, mic placement, time code, frame rates, soldering, dithering, musical theory, orchestration. You’ll not learn everything in an hour, but you’ll know more than you would had you not bothered.
Now if you get into the habit of doing that every week then those five hours will all add up to making you someone skilled at your chosen craft - you may not end up making money from it, but you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing you tried your best.
Russ shows you how to take any beat and make it do what you want - no plug-ins required!
Here’s a video showing the very cool tip from community member Steve Peach on making powerful MIDI workflows whilst minimising screen real estate in Pro Tools.
Russ, Mike, Neil, & James are back with a packed Pro Tools Expert podcast that includes….
- Pro Tools HD Users Can Upgrade Just Their Cards To HDX
- With Easy Access To Music Production Tools Do We Still Need Producers?
- Avid And Apple May Have Made Choosing Between Pro Tools And Logic Easier For Everyone
- Has The DAW Stopped Evolving And If It Has Does It Matter Anyway?
- Community Feedback - Tom Laskas
- Community Feedback - Drew Webster
- Community Feedback - Glenn Brown
- Community Feedback - Micke Løvdalen
- Community Feedback - Scot Rammer
- Community Feedback - Ned Ward
- Community Feedback - Chris Byrne
- Community Tips - This week’s winner - Rene Talbot
- Pro Tools 8 on a PC doing things by itself
- Problems with Structure LE after upgrading from Structure Free
- Strike cannot find Content location after upgrade
- Pro Tools recording onto SSD drives
- Pro Tools 11 not recognising full version of Structure
- Is there a upgrade from Pro Tools HD Native (Card) to a HDX (Card)?
- M-Powered Interfaces and Pro Tools 11
- Metering in Pro Tools 10
- Will Pro Tools SE work with Windows 8?
- How did you get REAPER to show up as a plugin in PT11?
- Audio drum loops to MIDI, is it possible?
- What OS does Pro Tools 11 need on a Mac
- Why doesn’t Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 work with Pro Tools 11?
- Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 or Mbox Pro
- What version to upgrade to from PT8
- Unable to record in Pro Tools 10
- Pro Tools 11 activation problem
- Does MIDI clipping matter?
- Video editing with Pro Tools vanilla
- Putting Mountain Lion on a Pro Tools PC
- Pro Tools SE can’t find hardware
This podcast was brought to you completely by Pro Tools 11 and you can listen here;