Welcome to Pro Tools Expert a huge community for users of Avid Pro Tools for both music and post production. With over 3 million visits a year, we’ve grown to be the place to come for training, resources, tips tricks and news. We offer advice for users of all versions of Pro Tools both current and legacy formats. We’re independent and are not affiliated with Avid or their associated companies.
Entries in Mike Thornton (22)
This event will explore the world of post production, with a particular look at how acquisition can have an effect on post, and what post can do with original audio tracks. The weekend will give delegates a chance to explore techniques used in post.
Mike will be speaking and demonstrating his beloved iZotope RX3 Advanced as well as covering other plug-ins like reconforming with Sounds In Sync EdiLoad v3 and Nugen Audio’s Vis-LM loudness metering.
Mike will also be available for one to one sessions and if you have a challenging piece of audio you could bring it along and see if he can RX it.
In addition the weekend provides an ideal chance to meet and discuss in a very convivial atmosphere, with great networking opportunities, and fantastic presentations from industry leaders of their fields. Phenomenal low cost for a full service weekend with all meals and refreshments, your own en-suite room, bar, leisure facilities, protected car parking, central (England) location.
Russ has listed the key plug-ins for him in 2013 and as promised here are mine. With Pro Tools 11 announced in April and launched at the end of June, 2013 has been a very busy year, but even though developers have been very busy releasing AAX 64 bit versions of plug-ins thee has also been alot of innovation in 2013 in the plug-in world.
I was privileged to be invited by iZotope to present the first public demonstration of RX3 Advanced at the CPUG Supermeet at IBC in September. You can watch my presentation here and then you can try it out for yourself. Also you can check out my new RX3 Explained series from Groove 3 with 4.5 hours of videos on how to get the best out of RX3 and RX3 Advanced. This has to be my product of the year for 2013.
This is a great plug-in that I am using more and more, whether it is as a protection limiter to make sure I don’t go above peak level or when I need to crush something without nasty side effects it will do that too. Check out my review on the Avid Pro Limiter for post and Russ’s review for music applications.
This year Russ and Mike will be joined at BVE North by a panel of experts to special edition of our weekly podcast in the Ask The Experts theatre in a session entitled High End Audio Editing - Pro Tools at 10:30am on November 13th 2013.
If you cannot make it we will be having a Show Bar Meet up on Tuesday 12th November at 13:00, so if you have a question or you want to have a chat then you can seek us out at the bar.
BVE North is a broadcast and production technology event in the North of England, attracting over 100 industry-leading exhibitors, showing off their new kit and services to industry professionals.
This is the only event north of London where you can meet face-to-face with these exhibitors all under one roof! As well as hands on kit experiences and product demos, BVE North offers you the chance to see brand new product launches.
Nir, together with Yair Chuchem and Dan Ravivare, are the team behind Sound Radix, which developed the amazing plug-in Auto Align. Mike sat down and chatted with Nir and found out more about how Sound Radix came about, their interesting mission statement, and more….
This podcast was brought to you completely by Pro Tools 11 and you can listen here;
The first nine videos have been released today on the Synchro Arts YouTube channel and over the coming weeks Mike will be adding more. It is expected these will build into a library of over 30 videos.
They will include videos helping users get started as well as videos covering Improving Your Workflow and a Tips & Tricks section helping users to get the best out of Revoice Pro.
You can go to the Synchro Arts web site and download a trial version of the software and then use this new series of videos to help you get to grips with Revoice Pro.
Chris Nicoll is Head of Production for the Capital FM Network. His work covers radio imaging for multiple stations including Capital FM in the UK, Then there is sound design for Capital TV and HearTV station idents as well as audio mixing for various Capital FM Television advertisements and major Stadium events like Capital’s Summertime Ball at Wembley Stadium, and Capital’s Jingle Bell Ball at London’s O2 Arena.
He also runs his own compostion and sound design company wizzFX.com with clients like bigFM in Germany and ZM in New Zealand.
You can listen here;
We were contacted by James Towler who is Steve Winwood’s Front of House, Studio & Tour Manager. James very kindly offered Mike ‘chocolate’ in the form of an invitation to come and see Steve and his band play live. So we recorded Monday’s podcast early so that I could go and see them at The Lowry in Salford as well as ‘geek out’ with a tour of the rig and experience the sound check.
James has been working with Steve for 17 years and for the last 4 has been mixing on a Venue Profile desk and uses a Thunderbolt HD Native box to record the soundcheck and the gig onto a Mac Mini in the FOH rack, which he screen shares to a Macbook Pro to control the Mac Mini. He is a great fan of Audix mics and uses Millenia mic preamps on stage as well as a number of small sE Reflexion Filters and several sE VR2 Voodoo mics.
Steve and his band played for 2 hours straight through and it was stunning. James was kept busy tweaking the balance throughout the show, with the added challenge of having to work round some substitute plug-ins because he had suffered some licenses disappearing off his iLok.
Mike recently met Bob at NAB where they were both supporting iZotope. We agreed to have a chat and share it with the Pro Tools Expert community and here it is.
Bob is a re-recording mixer and sound designer working in television and documentary film for the past twenty years. In addition to mixing eight seasons of Deadliest Catch, his credits include Ax Men, Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice, The Colony, 1000 Ways to Die, American Masters: Carol Burnette & Bob Newhart and the feature documentary The Wrecking Crew. He has also won two Primetime awards in addition to four CAS award wins for his work on Deadliest Catch.
We talk about his journey through the industry and his workflow for Deadliest Catch and much more.
You can listen here;
Russ, Mike, and Neil are here with a packed Pro Tools Expert podcast that includes;
- Pro Tools 11 buying poll
- The difference between supported, not supported and won’t work
- AAX Database and AAX 64 bit plug-ins
- Community tip 1 - Justin Arey
- Problems after an OS update
- Pro Tools 7 & Windows 8
- Recording with 32 bit floating v 24 bit fixed
- Moving PT 9 MP to new computer
- Problems with using Native plug-ins whilst tracking
- Problems with collaborating sessions
- No drives record designated
- PT10 & 11 Compatibility info please
- Pro Tools 10 & 11 on the same machine
- No Loudness metering in PT 11
- Pro Tools 11 questions - 3rd party interface, Melodyne & Slate
- Will 32 bit AAX plug-ins work on PT11?
- Beat Detective v Elastic Audio
- Plug-in shortcuts in Pro Tools for Mach 5 Sampler
- PT 10.2 eligible for free upgrade?
- Celemony’s Audio Random Access (ARA) function into Pro Tools
- Can I buy PT HD Native and use my existing interfaces
- PT DJ Effects plug-ins
Russ, Mike, Neil and James are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast.
- Trade shows
- April Fools Day
- 5 things to do during the holiday
- Phil Ramone RIP
- 5 tips on clients and money
- iZotope Nectar Pro Tips
- Community tip 1 - El Sidius - dealing with plosives
- Problems with loud noises with Pro Tools SE
- Problem with RME MADI fx interface RME Forum
- Unable to locate hardware with PT Express
- Community tip 2 - Johannes Wengert - Automation keyboard shortcut
- Will there be a Transfuser 2.0?
- DAE Error 7054 with Harmany efx
- HW Buffer size error messages in Digi 001
- Fab Filter recommendation and question on maximum latency on different versions of Pro Tools
- Problems with Pro Tools 10 installer Mac Free download Manager
- Problems with electric kit and Pro Tools SE
- Upgrading from PT7HD to PT10HD
Russ, Mike, Neil and James are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast.
- Eric stepping back
- Podcast Archive page
- Editorial & review Policy
- Pro Tools Toolkit for Mac from Groove 3
- Community tip 1 Colin Mansfield Auto log-in to the site and tip for our videos.
- Community tip 2 - Luke Harrison - MA Thesis on headphones monitoring
- 5 Ways To Get People Into Your Studio
- Pay membership in installments
- Focusrite/Apogee Shootout
- Using VIs Rewired through Reaper Propellerhead help page
- Native or HD Native for 24 track acoustic work
- Importing Sibelius MIDI files into Pro Tools and good drum sounds
- Problems with Mbox 2 Pro
- Apollo instead of 003 with UAD cards
- Which interface will work with PT10HD
- Problems with PT10.3.4 on Windows 7
- Disk too slow error messages on Windows
- Access Privileges when using Pencil Tool Sound on Sound article
Russ, Mike, and Neil are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast.
- SoundToys Free Micropitch Plugin
- Pro Tools Expert Pay Per view channel on Vimeo
- Dropbox and the alternatives
- Community Tips 1 - Julian Rogers - Advice on recording an accordion
- How to get Boom to sync with Pro tools and play chained patterns
- Follow up from Podcast 55 - to adding interface to an Omni
- Comment on Avid’s move back to Pro users
- Pro Tools won’t remember Apollo interface
- Pro Tools & iLok security in a college lab setting - RokLocker
- Advice on mixing on headphones and how to translate to speakers
- Questions about the Podcast, transcripts, old episodes and links to download the mp3
- How do we do your videos?
Avid UK recorded Mike Thornton from Pro Tools Expert outlining the benefits of upgrading to Pro Tools HDX from his perspective as an early adopter. Mike was joined at BVE 2013 by Simon Jones from Soundworks and John Rogerson from Halo Post Production who shared their experiences too.
Mike, Eric, Neil, and James Ivey are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast. Russ isn’t with us this week as he is on his holidays in New York.
- Sound City movie
- Pinterest gear porn page
- Native Instruments Komplete 9 announced
- Pro Tools keyboard shortcut site
- Correction from Podcast 54 - Pro Tools doesn’t support multiple sample rates.
- Community tip - Michael Berry - measuring distortion with Pro tools
- Feedback on Podcast 54 and question about Apollo and Pro Tools
- Latency problem with Pro Tools 10 & Vienna Ensemble Pro v5
- Help with Sound Miner Mini
- Will HD Native & Omni work with MOTU interface as well
- How to set up Hardware Compensation Mike’s Sound on Sound article
- Problems with Transfuser on Windows 7
- iLok problems
If you would like to download the mp3 then right click on the player/link below and choose ‘Save As’ and save the mp3 onto your computer.
If you cannot see the audio controls, listen/download the audio file here
Mike Thornton caught up with Paul Neyrinck whilst he was in London.
Hear how Paul got into the business, the plug-ins he worked on for Digidesign & Avid, how he came to design the V-Control and much more.
Mike Thornton was joined by Simon from Soundworks and John from Halo post to host an upgrading to HDX seminar at BVE 2013.
It was a full house with an excellent opportunity to hear real world examples of the transition to HDX. As Mike has been one of the early adopters (if not the first), he was able to share both his joy and frustration about the journey, much of which has already been documented here.
A video of the session has been made and we will have it up as soon as we can.
James is also at BVE 2013, taking the mic baton from Russ and Neil and spending a lot of time interviewing on behalf of Avid, you can see them here.
Russ, Eric, Mike, and Neil are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast.
- Web site updates
- Team at BVE
- What the Post community want from Pro Tools 11
- Do plug-ins sound like the real thing?
- Community tips from Michael Wabro, Jon Dearth, Ken Burk & Bob Bronow
- IK Multimedia and AAX
- Problems with PT8LE after installed USB MIDI adaptor on Windows 7
- Advice about getting 2 Apollos together
- Plug-ins expired and plug-in sorting
- Structure Free doesn’t remember where the WAV files from our libraries are
- Pro Tools SE won’t run after installing
- Pro Tools SE won’t start
- Problem with Pro Tools going into background
- Problems with playback on Windows machine
- CD track ids HOFA CD DDP
- Advice on Bounce to Track techniques Alternative Bounce Method
We have arranged a Pro Tools Expert Meet Up at BVE in London on Wednesday 27th February 2013 at 16:30pm in The Audio Room, in addition to Mike’s session on Upgrading to HDX. For the meet up, Mike will be joined by fellow Pro Tools Expert team members Neil Hester and James Ivey. It will be an opportunity to chat, share tips & tricks, and ask questions. We look forward to meeting some of you face to face.
Mike Thornton will be at BVE speaking and leading a clinic on the issues of upgrading to Pro Tools HDX on Wednesday 27th Feb at 15:30pm in The Audio Room. Mike will be joined by other key industry practitioneers who, like him, have successfully made the transisition to Pro Tools HDX.
Please do come and say hello if you are able to come to BVE, Mike will be around on Wednesday afternoon.