Entries in Mike Thornton (15)
Mike recently met Bob at NAB where they were both supporting iZotope. We agreed to have a chat and share it with the Pro Tools Expert community and here it is.
Bob is a re-recording mixer and sound designer working in television and documentary film for the past twenty years. In addition to mixing eight seasons of Deadliest Catch, his credits include Ax Men, Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice, The Colony, 1000 Ways to Die, American Masters: Carol Burnette & Bob Newhart and the feature documentary The Wrecking Crew. He has also won two Primetime awards in addition to four CAS award wins for his work on Deadliest Catch.
We talk about his journey through the industry and his workflow for Deadliest Catch and much more.
You can listen here;
Russ, Mike, and Neil are here with a packed Pro Tools Expert podcast that includes;
- Pro Tools 11 buying poll
- The difference between supported, not supported and won’t work
- AAX Database and AAX 64 bit plug-ins
- Community tip 1 - Justin Arey
- Problems after an OS update
- Pro Tools 7 & Windows 8
- Recording with 32 bit floating v 24 bit fixed
- Moving PT 9 MP to new computer
- Problems with using Native plug-ins whilst tracking
- Problems with collaborating sessions
- No drives record designated
- PT10 & 11 Compatibility info please
- Pro Tools 10 & 11 on the same machine
- No Loudness metering in PT 11
- Pro Tools 11 questions - 3rd party interface, Melodyne & Slate
- Will 32 bit AAX plug-ins work on PT11?
- Beat Detective v Elastic Audio
- Plug-in shortcuts in Pro Tools for Mach 5 Sampler
- PT 10.2 eligible for free upgrade?
- Celemony’s Audio Random Access (ARA) function into Pro Tools
- Can I buy PT HD Native and use my existing interfaces
- PT DJ Effects plug-ins
Russ, Mike, Neil and James are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast.
- Trade shows
- April Fools Day
- 5 things to do during the holiday
- Phil Ramone RIP
- 5 tips on clients and money
- iZotope Nectar Pro Tips
- Community tip 1 - El Sidius - dealing with plosives
- Problems with loud noises with Pro Tools SE
- Problem with RME MADI fx interface RME Forum
- Unable to locate hardware with PT Express
- Community tip 2 - Johannes Wengert - Automation keyboard shortcut
- Will there be a Transfuser 2.0?
- DAE Error 7054 with Harmany efx
- HW Buffer size error messages in Digi 001
- Fab Filter recommendation and question on maximum latency on different versions of Pro Tools
- Problems with Pro Tools 10 installer Mac Free download Manager
- Problems with electric kit and Pro Tools SE
- Upgrading from PT7HD to PT10HD
Russ, Mike, Neil and James are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast.
- Eric stepping back
- Podcast Archive page
- Editorial & review Policy
- Pro Tools Toolkit for Mac from Groove 3
- Community tip 1 Colin Mansfield Auto log-in to the site and tip for our videos.
- Community tip 2 - Luke Harrison - MA Thesis on headphones monitoring
- 5 Ways To Get People Into Your Studio
- Pay membership in installments
- Focusrite/Apogee Shootout
- Using VIs Rewired through Reaper Propellerhead help page
- Native or HD Native for 24 track acoustic work
- Importing Sibelius MIDI files into Pro Tools and good drum sounds
- Problems with Mbox 2 Pro
- Apollo instead of 003 with UAD cards
- Which interface will work with PT10HD
- Problems with PT10.3.4 on Windows 7
- Disk too slow error messages on Windows
- Access Privileges when using Pencil Tool Sound on Sound article
Russ, Mike, and Neil are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast.
- SoundToys Free Micropitch Plugin
- Pro Tools Expert Pay Per view channel on Vimeo
- Dropbox and the alternatives
- Community Tips 1 - Julian Rogers - Advice on recording an accordion
- How to get Boom to sync with Pro tools and play chained patterns
- Follow up from Podcast 55 - to adding interface to an Omni
- Comment on Avid’s move back to Pro users
- Pro Tools won’t remember Apollo interface
- Pro Tools & iLok security in a college lab setting - RokLocker
- Advice on mixing on headphones and how to translate to speakers
- Questions about the Podcast, transcripts, old episodes and links to download the mp3
- How do we do your videos?
Avid UK recorded Mike Thornton from Pro Tools Expert outlining the benefits of upgrading to Pro Tools HDX from his perspective as an early adopter. Mike was joined at BVE 2013 by Simon Jones from Soundworks and John Rogerson from Halo Post Production who shared their experiences too.
Mike, Eric, Neil, and James Ivey are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast. Russ isn’t with us this week as he is on his holidays in New York.
- Sound City movie
- Pinterest gear porn page
- Native Instruments Komplete 9 announced
- Pro Tools keyboard shortcut site
- Correction from Podcast 54 - Pro Tools doesn’t support multiple sample rates.
- Community tip - Michael Berry - measuring distortion with Pro tools
- Feedback on Podcast 54 and question about Apollo and Pro Tools
- Latency problem with Pro Tools 10 & Vienna Ensemble Pro v5
- Help with Sound Miner Mini
- Will HD Native & Omni work with MOTU interface as well
- How to set up Hardware Compensation Mike’s Sound on Sound article
- Problems with Transfuser on Windows 7
- iLok problems
If you would like to download the mp3 then right click on the player/link below and choose ‘Save As’ and save the mp3 onto your computer.
If you cannot see the audio controls, listen/download the audio file here
Mike Thornton caught up with Paul Neyrinck whilst he was in London.
Hear how Paul got into the business, the plug-ins he worked on for Digidesign & Avid, how he came to design the V-Control and much more.
Mike Thornton was joined by Simon from Soundworks and John from Halo post to host an upgrading to HDX seminar at BVE 2013.
It was a full house with an excellent opportunity to hear real world examples of the transition to HDX. As Mike has been one of the early adopters (if not the first), he was able to share both his joy and frustration about the journey, much of which has already been documented here.
A video of the session has been made and we will have it up as soon as we can.
James is also at BVE 2013, taking the mic baton from Russ and Neil and spending a lot of time interviewing on behalf of Avid, you can see them here.
Russ, Eric, Mike, and Neil are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast.
- Web site updates
- Team at BVE
- What the Post community want from Pro Tools 11
- Do plug-ins sound like the real thing?
- Community tips from Michael Wabro, Jon Dearth, Ken Burk & Bob Bronow
- IK Multimedia and AAX
- Problems with PT8LE after installed USB MIDI adaptor on Windows 7
- Advice about getting 2 Apollos together
- Plug-ins expired and plug-in sorting
- Structure Free doesn’t remember where the WAV files from our libraries are
- Pro Tools SE won’t run after installing
- Pro Tools SE won’t start
- Problem with Pro Tools going into background
- Problems with playback on Windows machine
- CD track ids HOFA CD DDP
- Advice on Bounce to Track techniques Alternative Bounce Method
We have arranged a Pro Tools Expert Meet Up at BVE in London on Wednesday 27th February 2013 at 16:30pm in The Audio Room, in addition to Mike’s session on Upgrading to HDX. For the meet up, Mike will be joined by fellow Pro Tools Expert team members Neil Hester and James Ivey. It will be an opportunity to chat, share tips & tricks, and ask questions. We look forward to meeting some of you face to face.
Mike Thornton will be at BVE speaking and leading a clinic on the issues of upgrading to Pro Tools HDX on Wednesday 27th Feb at 15:30pm in The Audio Room. Mike will be joined by other key industry practitioneers who, like him, have successfully made the transisition to Pro Tools HDX.
Please do come and say hello if you are able to come to BVE, Mike will be around on Wednesday afternoon.
Russ, Mike, and Neil are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast, the first of 2013. This week is another bumper question & answer edition…
- Pro Tools 11 Wish List
- Tip recommendation from Mike Phirman
- Update on iLok problems with Windows 7 & 8 and solution
- What to replace old Mbox Pro with
- Waves Element VI
- Feedback on the questionnaire
- Advice on a deep and muggy vocal.
- NAMM 2013 thoughts
- Advice on HD Native Thunderbolt and HD Omni
- Reason 6.5 on Windows 7 laptop with PT M-Powered Video to help
- Structure in Post
- PT MP 9 & Windows 8, will it work?
- Problems with Oxygen 61 keyboard
- Interface options for Pro Tools SE
Russ, Eric, Mike, and Neil are here with another Pro Tools Expert podcast. This week is is our look back over some of the highlights of 2012 in the Pro Tools community. Some of the subjects we covered…
- Pro Tools 10 Launch fall out
- Eric joins the team
- Start of the PTE podcasts
- Mike joining the team
- TL Audio went into Liquidation
- The importance of hardware and getting it right when recording
- NAMM 2012 Waves Interview
- Leap year drop frame story
- AAX Database
- Gobbler comes to market
- Interviews on the podcast with Andy Munro on acoustics
- Neil Hester joins the team as “The Windows Guy”
- Why do we do it?
- Pro Tools 10.2 launch
- The great ‘Track Hack’
- Jivey James Ivey joins the team
- Avid sell off consumer lines
- Changes for Sibelius
- Maschine 2 released
- Massey plug-ins
- Bobby Lombardi move to Sibelius
- Windows 8 launch
- Launch of Thunderbolt HD Native
- Product of 2012 that never was
- New AIR site launch and Town Hall Meeting
- PTE at BVE North and MPS shows
- SugarBytes AAX VST Wrapper saga
- Story about the Apple Support Team
- Product of year 2012 - Apollo
- Hopes for 2013
- Thank you everyone