Welcome to Pro Tools Expert a huge community for users of Avid Pro Tools for both music and post production. With over 3 million visits a year, we’ve grown to be the place to come for training, resources, tips tricks and news. We offer advice for users of all versions of Pro Tools both current and legacy formats. We’re independent and are not affiliated with Avid or their associated companies.
Entries in izotope (24)
Dear Russ, Mike and the crew at Pro Tools Expert,
Congratulations on five years as a hub for the audio community! After reading hundreds of posts filled with lessons, leads, and laughter, the world looks forward to hearing what the Experts will teach us next.
Best of luck on the next five and beyond!
Your friends at iZotope
“Charles Deenen is one of the gaming industry’s preeminent sound designers and mixers, with credits like the Need for Speed series, Fallout, Star Trek and his support on Activision’s Call of Duty®: Ghosts. Since writing a sound driver for Commodore PET at the age of 13, he has left his creative fingerprints among top selling games from Electronic Arts, Interplay and Shiny, and other companies.
Over the course of his career, Deenen has remained aligned with innovations in audio software, particularly iZotope’s RX, which he has been using for many years. iZotope recently caught up with Deenen, who discussed the role that iZotope’s RX 3 and Insight played in how his design work assisted the studio teams on Call of Duty: Ghosts.”
Read the full interview here:
iZotope who make products like RX3, Nectar, Alloy, Ozone and Iris are expanding and what’s more they came out well in a survey undertaken by The Boston Globe as a top place to work.
What employees say….
“Every day is a new adventure! We work hard, and it is a very fun environment. iZotope operates like one big family!”
“I am constantly learning new things and maintaining my footing within the industry. ”
“I get to work on innovative and interesting products.”
“The people are enthusiastic and work well together. Hours are flexible. Products we create are great.”
Check out their careers page, there are all kinds of jobs going. if I were to move to the US, I couldn’t think of a nicer place to live and work.
Russ takes a look and a listen to the iZotope Nectar 2 vocal suite, he let’s you know all about its features and what he thinks.
iZotoope have released their vocal production suite Nectar 2. See what’s new here.
- Explore 11 powerful tools in one plug-in: Harmony, Plate Reverb, FX,Pitch, Delay, De-Esser, Saturation, Compressors, Gate, EQ, and Limiter.
- Get smooth, pitch-perfect takes quickly with dedicated Pitch Editor and Breath Control plug-ins in the Nectar 2 Production Suite.
- Finesse your sound with surgical detail using powerful advanced controls.
- Improve vocal production at all stages, from tracking through mixing.
- Rapidly audition different vocal sounds with 150+ presets, in a variety of genres from classic to modern.
NECTAR 2 STANDARD EDITION - Normally $229 but until Oct 30th $179
BUY NECTAR 2 PRODUCTION SUITE - Nectar 2, plus dedicated Pitch Editor and Breath Control plug-ins. Normally $299 but until Oct 30th $219
UPGRADE TO NECTAR 2 If you own Nectar 1 or Nectar Elements, you are eligible for special upgrade pricing. Log in to your iZotope account for your upgrade coupons as there is special pricing available until October 30th.
With the support of iLok, more tips & tricks from the community. Here is one from James Hixon…
Hi, guys. The community tips have been very helpful. I’m enjoying them. I have one I’d like to suggest. A lot of the post work that I do involves interviews that were shot in less than ideal environments. It seems like there’s always noisy HVAC, a running refrigerator, etc. Or, the shooter used the awful “preamps” in their DSLR. Noise reduction plugins are great for this, but if you have to push them too hard, the artifacts they leave can be almost as bad as the noise.
A very effective way to deal with this is to use two different plugins together. What I usually start with is the Waves Z-Noise. I will select an area of the track where the noise is isolated. Then, I’ll click ‘Learn’ in Z-Noise and play the audio to have the plugin sample the noise. Clicking ‘Learn’ again will take it out of learn mode. I then push the ‘Reduction’ fader all the way to to the top, and, if need be, I’ll bump the ‘Threshold’ up to maybe 2. Whatever makes most of the noise go away without doing too much harm to the track.
Now, we have a track with reduced noise, but in many cases, there’s a warbly artifact left over. Then, I turn to Waves NS-1. You don’t need much of it. I’m usually only pushing the fader up to five. I might push it up to 10 or 15 in extreme cases. Use your discretion. This plugin will eliminate the artifacts of the first plug-in, and leave you with a very clean dialog track.
Mike - Multiple passes with lighter amounts of noise reduction is the way to go. I would recommend that you get iZotope RX3, it is the best in my opinion, it is my go to restoration bundle, especially now RX3 Advanced has the new real time zero latency dialog denoiser and dereverb modules.
If you would like the chance to win a stormtrooper iLok, courtesy of iLok, send in tips you think no one has thought about. Please don’t just send shortcuts which are easily found elsewhere, or pull ideas from the manual; instead, be creative about your tips & tricks. Please use the Contact Us page to send us have your tips.
We want to congratulate our friends at iZtotope for winning an engineering Emmy for RX.
Just in time for RX 3’s arrival, the Board of Governors of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences has awarded iZotope a 2013 Engineering Emmy® for RX Audio Repair Technology! This award is presented to an individual, company or organization for engineering developments so significant that they materially affect the transmission, recording or reception of television.
“We are so proud to add this Engineering Emmy to RX’s sterling resume, and even more proud to introduce the next version of our flagship audio repair tools to such a supportive user community.
A sincere thank you for helping make RX an industry standard for television and broadcast!”
READ MORE about RX’s Emmy award.
TRY the new RX 3.
iZotope Inc. has announced the next version of their award-winning vocal
processing technology, Nectar, will be coming in October 2013. Nectar 2 will bring the best of
digital innovation and analog character into a complete set of tools specifically for voice.
Brett Bunting, Product Manager for iZotope Inc. says…
“We were excited to revisit what made Nectar so ideal as a vocal processing plug-in. We’ve spent a lot of development time incorporating new ideas designed with our users in mind. Nectar 2 users won’t believe how quickly they’ll be able to recreate classic vocal sounds or invent brand new ones.”
With Nectar 2, add character to tracks using modeled plate reverb, harmonic saturation, and
new creative effects. Stay in tune, remove distracting breaths without the need for audio
editing, transform a single vocal take into a harmonized ensemble, and much more.
- Add harmonies to vocal tracks with the new Harmonizer. Play with intelligent automatic
settings or define your own with a MIDI controller.
- Add space and character to vocals with the EMT 140-modeled Plate Reverb module,
featuring a unique saturation control to emulate the original plate’s preamp.
- Finesse vocal takes quickly with the new Pitch Editor and Breath Control plug-ins.
- Explore seven new creative effects in the new FX module.
- Dive in with a streamlined Overview panel for simple adjustments and added metering
for visual feedback.
- Choose from 150+ new presets in styles that range from classic to modern.
Customers who purchased Nectar after August 1, 2013 will receive a free upgrade to Nectar
2 upon release. Special upgrade pricing will be available for all previous Nectar and Nectar
Elements customers upon release.
Sign up to hear when Nectar 2 becomes available.
Nectar 2 can be used as a plug-in in your favorite host. Supported plug-in formats include 64-
bit AAX (Pro Tools 11), RTAS/AudioSuite (Pro Tools 7.4-10), VST, VST 3, and Audio Unit.
Gert Kracht has put up videos of the various Supermeet presentations and this one is my RX3 demonstration, the first public demonstration of RX3 Advanced.
It’s a locked-off camera, and I keep going out of frame, but hopefully you can get a sense of what RX3 can do.
You can also look forward to me doing a Pro Tools Expert Show & Tell review in the next couple of days.
- Completely re-designed interface and look.
- You can work on more than one file at once.
- The Declip module has been given a make over and an automatic mode too.
- You can now create RX documents and store unlimited undo history and markers in the new file format.
- VST and AU plug-in hosting is now available in RX. In RX2 this was an RX Advanced only feature.
- You can record direct into RX3 with input metering and monitoring to enable you to get the recording spot on.
- Declick now has presets to help you work even faster
- The Parametric EQ module has been improved to get closer to real analog filters.
- Sample Rate Conversion is now available in RX. In RX2 this was an RX Advanced only feature.
- New Dialog Denoiser module - You can now denoise in real time with this new zero latency module and it is so fast to work with especially when you use the Auto mode
- New Dereverb module - You can now clean up recordings made in reverberant locations, it is awesome.
- iZotope’s metering module Insight is now included in RX3 Advanced
- Asymmetrical Declip - There are now separate thresholds for the top and bottom of the clipped waveform which make this module even more powerful.
- Improved Azimuth adjustment - The azimuth module has been further improved to get even better results when working with archive tape based content which was recorded on a poorly aligned tape machine.
- Centre Channel Extraction - This has a number of uses, getting more noise reduction of stereo files of mono content, and vocal isolation from stereo music recordings are just two possibilities.
- Pitch Contour - You can use the excellent pitch correction in RX now to straighten out time and pitch variations on tempo based music files.
RX 3 runs as a standalone application, or as a suite of plug-ins for your DAW.
Operating system requirements:
- Windows: (XP, x64, 7, 8)
- Mac: OS X 10.6.8 or later (Intel-based Macs only)
- AAX (Pro Tools 11)
- RTAS/AudioSuite (Pro Tools 7.4-10)
- VST and VST 3
- Audio Unit
There are some special introductory pricing available until September 27th 2013…
RX3 - normally $349 now $249
RX3 Advanced - normally $1199 now $749
Existing users should log in to your iZotope account for details on your upgrade pricing.
If you want to know about iZotope RX then there is no one else in the business like our very own Mike Thornton.
We’ve been having a sneak peek at RX3 and we have to say it is awesome. So it makes sense that iZotope and Mike will showcase how awesome it is.
iZotope, Inc. will be showcasing the new RX 3 audio repair suite at the CPUG Amsterdam SuperMeet during IBC on September 15th. In addition to personalized demos at the iZotope demonstration stand, Mike Thornton will conduct a 20-minute main stage presentation Rescue Bad Audio from the Cutting Room Floor.
Using real-world examples, Mike will show how RX 3 can resolve common audio problems in post-production and broadcast applications, highlighting features like the new real-time Dialogue Denoiser, the revolutionary new Dereverb module, and RX 3’s powerful spectral audio editor.
- WHAT: iZotope RX 3 product demonstrations and main stage presentation during CPUG SuperMeet
- WHO: Presented by iZotope and Post Production Specialist Mike Thornton
- WHERE: CPUG SuperMeet, Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- WHEN: Sunday, September 15th, from 19:00- 23:00 CEST, with product demonstrations starting at 16:00
iZotope RX 3 is an industry-leading audio repair solution for audio engineers, post produc-tion professionals, broadcasters, podcasters, archivists, forensic specialists, videographers and more. Work up to six times faster than before thanks to processing enhancements and a redesigned user interface. Remove or reduce reverb, clean up dialogue on the fly, recall session details with the new RX Document format, and much more with the new RX 3.
With the support of iLok, more tips & tricks from the community. Here is one from Craig Shimmon….
For those who use izotope vinyl, try clicking on the screws in the GUI. When you do you’ll find that the faceplate falls off and you see the guts inside! Have fun!
Join our friends from iZotope and Avid with their audio for video webinar (Insight plug-in in image not actual size). Representatives from industry leaders Avid and iZotope will demonstrate how to:
- Use Media Composer 7 and iZotope plug-ins to solve audio issues
- Keep your mixes compliant with the new loudness standards
- Plus, get your questions answered in a live Q&A
Register today and see how to use Media Composer 7, and iZotope’s Insight*, Nectar, and Ozone plugins to deliver great-sounding mixes that meet the new audio for video standards.
iZotope RX3 will be available in September 2013. With RX 3, you can rescue clipped and noisy audio and save it from the cutting room floor; solve tricky sonic problems with flexible spectral editing and a wide assortment of drawing tools; clean up dialogue in real time; remove reverb from recordings; finesse your sound and much more. From cutting-edge tools and enhanced workflows to a redesigned user interface, RX 3 enables you to fix troubled audio.
- Work up to six times faster thanks to under-the-hood processing enhancements and a redesigned user interface.
- Remove or reduce reverb from vocals, instruments and more using the revolutionary Dereverb module in RX3 Advanced.
- Clean up dialogue on the fly with RX3 Advanced’s all-new Dialogue Denoiser—the new audio standard for real-time dialogue treatment.
- Use both your eyes and your ears to identify and fix problems within a spectral audio editor.
- Never lose an edit again with the unlimited Undo history, saved automatically with audio data into the new RX document format.
Both RX3 and RX3 Advanced can be used as a standalone audio editor, or as plug-ins in your favorite host. Supported plug-in formats include 64-bit AAX (Pro Tools 11), RTAS/AudioSuite (Pro Tools 7.4-10), VST, VST 3, and Audio Unit.
Personally, I cannot wait for the real-time denoiser for those fast turnaround jobs and for the Dereverb module. Also, with RX3 being AAX 64-bit, I am close to never having to go back into Pro Tools 10.
iZotope have release Alloy version 2.02 now offering 64 bit AAX for Pro Tools 11
Enhancements and fixes
- Plug-in formats: Added 64-bit AAX support for Pro Tools 11
- Please note: This update no longer supports 32-bit AAX. Customers accustomed to using 32-bit AAX in Pro Tools 10 can instead use the RTAS plug-in format without any degradation in audio quality. For your convenience, any session saved with the 32-bit AAX version of Alloy 2 will automatically open with RTAS.
iZotope have announced today that they have released 3 of their plug-ins in AAX 64-bit format for Pro Tools 11.
You can download the new updates from the iZotope web site.
We have a load of great special offers at the moment over on our Deals page. The sunny weather seems to have brought out a raft of special offers including….
- Wave Rider is on special offer
- Flux are offering discounts on their Pure Analyser
- FXpansion are offering a great price on BFD Eco
- Sonnox have a great deal on their Enhance bundle
- UAD are having a Half Yearly Sale
- Softube have got a great Summer Sale
- iZotope are offering a discount on Trash 2
- Toontrack have a Superior Summer Saving offer
So do keep checking our Deals page as we are always adding deals and special offers that come to our attention which we think you would be interested in.
Whilst at NAB 2013, between breaks demoing RX2, Mike chatted with iZotope’s Matt Hines and found out how the company started from a dorm room at MIT. Listen to the interview to find out the rest.
If you cannot see the audio controls, listen/download the audio file here
Izotope, creators of all sorts of fantasic audio manipulation tools have licensed their Radius time-stretching and pitch-shifting technology to AIR Music Technology to be included in an upcoming version of AIR’s Ignite.
This is great news and will broaden the functionality of and make it even easier to manipulate your audio ideas with Ignite.
These kind of collaborations are just what the industry needs, taking the best of what is offered by several innovators and blending them into high-performance products that have the user’s best interest in mind!
Everything from mic placement to reverb settings can make or break the perfect vocal take. Fortunately there are plenty of of great advice and help for getting the most out of your vocals, when you’re tracking and when you’re mixing. John Perry (who has sung with artists like The Beatles, Elton John, and Roger Daltry) guides you through an 8-part Vocal Master Class featuring both Nectar and Nectar Elements.
You can even download the demo song to follow along on your own!