Entries in help (10)
You may be new to Pro Tools and wonder where to go to see how Pro Tools is working with your system resources.
Under the hood at the bottom of the Window menu is a handy option called System Usage and depending on what version of Pro Tools you own it will appear a little differently.
All Pro Tools users will have the following showing in the System Usage Window:
- CPU - This meter displays the amount of your computer’s CPU resources that Pro Tools is using. Depending on how many cores your processor has the number shown will differ. One small thing to note is that Pro Tools displays duo chips as double the amount, so a 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon shows up as 8 and not 4 in this part of the window. Items that use this processing include Elastic Audio processing, Clip Gain processing, Native plug-in and mixer processing.
- Disk - This displays the activity of the hard disk. Remember Pro Tools is a DAW and writes the audio to a hard drive, read and write access in the fastest possible time is essential so the faster your hard drive is the better, normally a 7200rpm is the starting point. Using the same drive for your Pro Tools sessions is not recommended so either use a second high speed internal hard drive or an external hard drive that is connected either by Firewire, Thunderbolt or USB2.
- Memory - The memory meter shows how much system RAM is being used by Pro Tools. If you are using Pro Tools 10 and earlier, which are 32 bit applications, then this is limited to around 3GB, irrespective how much RAM you may have installed in your computer. Pro Tools 11 is a 64 bit application, so is theoretically able to access as much memory as you throw at it. Plug-ins, particularly Virtual Instruments with large libraries use lots of memory so it is good to have as much in your computer for Pro Tools to access. However you need to remember that Pro Tools accesses RAM for other functions too, this includes; The Audio and Video Engines, plug-ins and disk cache (if available & enabled).
If you are using Pro Tools HD/HDX then you will have some additional information that pertains to the cards installed in your system and features only available to HD users.
In Podcast 98 we discussed the idea of encouraging the community to help each other. As we have said on many occasions we aren’t the only Pro Tools Experts, it works best when we pull together as a community to help each other when and where we can. There are plenty of places on the web for trolls and negativity, if that’s you style then the Pro Tools Expert community may not be for you. Many of our members work hard to create a positive and supportive community of Pro Tools Experts and we think that kind of attitude should be recognised and encouraged.
With all of that in mind we would like to reward those in the community who go the extra mile to help others.
Each month we will award the Community Member Of The Month Award sponsored by Sonnox. We are very pleased to announce that Sonnox are sponsoring this award as they want to support us in building a positive community, but we need to make it clear that Sonnox has no other involvement, and in no way endorses or encourages any individual comment or view submitted on Pro Tools Expert. This award would go to the individual who in the judges opinion made the best contribution to the Pro Tools Expert community. For example it could be for…
- A single post helping a community member with a problem on the main site or on our Facebook page.
- A great video demonstrating a tip or trick in a new way.
- A collection of smaller posts all with the aim of helping the community.
In the first podcast of each month we will announce the award from the previous month and explain why we have chosen that individual. We will post the story with a picture and details of the winner as we do with other competition winners.
As this award is sponsored by Sonnox the winner each month will be able to choose one Native plug-in from the Sonnox Elite Collection.
Terms & Conditions
- The item is download only, you must have an iLok account to use this software.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Pro Tools Team members will not be included in this award.
- While Sonnox is pleased to be sponsoring this award, it has no other involvement; Sonnox in no way endorses or encourages any individual comment or view submitted on Pro Tools Expert.
Many people find getting started with Pro Tools a bit daunting and a while back we produced a series called “First Steps” on starting out with Pro Tools, taking you through setting up your PT system, creating your first session, some tips & tricks and finally some basic troubleshooting advice.
- Part 1 - Choosing An Interface
- Part 2 - Choosing A Computer
- Part 3 - Configuring Your Computer
- Part 4 - Creating A New Session
- Part 5 - Creating New Tracks
- Part 6 - Setting Record Levels
- Part 7 - Using The Smart Tool
- Part 8 - Backups
- Part 9 - Template Sessions
- Part 10 - Using Clip Groups
- Part 11 - Playlists And Comping
- Part 12 - Sorting Plug-ins
- Part 13 - Using Mix Groups
- Part 14 - Clip List Management
Although these were created nearly 2 years ago they are still very revelant to choosing, setting up and starting to use Pro Tools 11 today.
Less than a week ago, we posted a story about the plight of Bernie Torelli at Nomad Factory who has unfortunately been admitted in a hospital in Los-Angeles for a serious spine disease due to a cancer he was diagnosed with over two years ago and the plan from the team at Don’t Crack to raise funds for him.
We can announce that so far they have raised and sent over $60,000 to Bernie’s family already. But it is unfortunately still far short of the necessary funds needed to cover Bernie’s growing medical costs. They are therefore keeping the “Raising Funds” promotion going until December 31, 2013.
Please use any of the links below to spread the good word as far and loud as you possibly can…
- Please share our “Raising Funds” post on your FACEBOOK page.
- You may also want to RT (re-tweet) our announcement on TWITTER
Eric Nolot - CEO & President of DontCrack.com says…
On behalf of Bernie and his family, I want to thank ALL of you that have spontaneously participated in our “Raising-Funds” promotion, contributing to making it so successful up until now! We have given Bernie a reason to smile and a great big dose of hope… And that is surely the very best medicine. Thank you so much!
It would be great to give Bernie and his family an even bigger Christmas present, so you are able to help then please do.
We were alerted by a couple of members of the community to this news on the health of Bernie Torelli from Nomad Factory, a copy of the letter from the team at Don’t Crack is shown below. If you can help in any way then please do:
Our long time partner Bernie Torelli at Nomad Factory needs your help !
Today we are sad to announce that our friend Bernie Torelli has been admitted in a hospital in Los-Angeles for a serious spine disease due to a cancer he was diagnosed with over two years ago. Although it is very serious at this time, there are chances that Bernie will make a full recovery, if all the necessary care is done. But the medical costs have already devastated Bernie’s family financial situation, making any chance of necessary surgery nearly impossible !
We have therefore decided to help him out by raising funds by promoting and donating the receipts of Nomad Factory’s best selling products :
MAGNETIC II, ECHOES and COSMOS at the no brainer cost of ONLY $19.
The Magnetics Bundle II that contains ALL three plug-ins is actually dropped at ONLY $49 !
And all other Nomad Factory products are sold at up to 70% discount until December 31.
It is needless to say that 90% of the income provided through this promotion will be directly sent to Bernie’s wife for her to manage the mounting health costs but also continue to pay Nomad Factory’s employees that have been continuously working on product development and customer support during Bernie’s illness.
That is certainly the most important reason for Bernie to fight for his life as all of his time has loyally been devoted to his work, his employees, his friends and most of all, his family… Great new products are almost ready to launch…
BERNIE NEEDS OUR HELP AND HE NEEDS IT NOW !
Direct Donations may be adressed via Paypal at : firstname.lastname@example.org
(Please fill “Raising Funds for Bernie” in the subject line)
Testimonials can be posted in this dedicated forum thread
Thank you so much !
CEO & President
We’ve just had word from Andrew at iLok who are continuing to look into the problem that some users are having with Pro Tools 11 licence surrender issues. He writes…
Quick note as I am working support queue right now. We are seeing some people getting stuck in the surrender update.
They should go to the top page of iLok.com if they have this issue after a sync-repair or attempt to surrender update in some situations. Many of these are cases where a sync-repair was needed prior. We have a tool internally to help people quickly and we are actively working to handle all support tickets. We are also working on a broader server fix.
We understand how excited people are about Pro Tools 11 and working to get them to the point where they can complete their upgrade.
With the growing propensity towards mobile recording solutions, an obvious way to capture the data is with a USB stick or pen drive. However not all drives are created equal and some just don’t have the speed to keep up with a multi track audio DAW like Pro Tools.
It sounds like something from Harry Potter or The Hobbit, but an error that’s been around in Pro Tools since version 7.4 is this one “Could not complete the Open Session command because magic ID does not match”, it may also have additional text.
If you get this then it probably means the session file is corrupted, if it is the case then try the following.
- Try opening a session file back-up, these are situated in the current session folder in a sub folder called “Session File Backups”
- If this does not work then try creating a blank session and doing a Session File Import and importing everything back into the new blank session.
- There are rare occasions when Pro Tools will not start-up, if this is the case then the simplest thing to do is to back-up your plug-in folders and then reinstalling Pro Tools. However, this should not be necessary.
Anyway, no need for a wand or incantation - the answer is far less magic than the the error would suggest.
A number of users have been asking questions regarding the use of signatures other than 4/4.
The official response fro Avid Tech Support on the matter is as follows:
'"Sorry for the delayed response I have been waiting for information from the AIR group. Strike currently operates at 4|4 even if the pattern is in odd time. The workaround is to stay in 4|4 and set your grid to triplets. They are aware of this hoping to change this behavior in a future release."'
This may not be the answer you are hoping for, but it does save you from thinking you're going nuts!
Last night I sent an email to all those signed up to Enews to ask for support running the blog. I choose the Enews Group because I figure they take an interest in the blog and signing up indicates a higher level of support, kind of Power Users.
So far 17 people have answered the call to join me in this wild adventure, that is overwhelming, some even took the time to write and say they would love to help but were too busy, I appreciate that kind of response, it says 'I care enough to tell you I'd love to, but can't'
I didn't post the request here because I didn't want to bother any visitors who just like to dip in and out of the AIR User Group tribe, there's nothing wrong with that we all have busy lives - if your thinking you want to help but have not yet signed up to Enews then email me, we'd love to have you along.