Entries in free (144)
For those with long memories of earlier Pro Tools bundles then you may recall the Pro Tools Digi002 Bundle that came with SampleTank - in those days it was a welcome addition to the plug-ins it shipped with.
Over the years SampleTank had new competitors such as Structure and Kontakt to contend with, so there has been somewhat of a hiatus for those waiting for a new version.
SampleTank 3 was recently released and now SampleTank 3 Free (try saying that when you are drunk) has shipped. Each week IK Multimedia promise to release a free sound to use with it. This week it is a German Grand Piano - don’t worry if you can’t speak German as IK have translated it for us.
Anyway, you can download IK Multimedia Sampletank 3 Free here
Our friends at Drumdrops are releasing the 1965 Ludwig Super Classic Kit Kontakt 5 pack tomorrow, 28th August between 4pm and 4.30 pm with a special introductory offer.
- First 20 people will receive it free
- Next 50 people will receive it for £ 15.00
- Next 50 people will receive it for £ 25.00
- Next 50 people will receive it for £ 30.00
- And then it will return to £ 40.00.
Recorded At Top London Studio The Square
The kit was recorded by our resident Drumdrops engineer Ben Thackeray and mixed by Grammy award winning ex-Abbey Road engineer Guy Massey. The drummer was Tim Weller, a busy UK session drummer recent clients included - Death in Vegas, Chris Difford, Future Sound of London, Marc Almond, Beverley Craven, Natalie Imbruglia, Duke Special, Ellie Goulding and Noel Gallagher.
The recording took place in Miloco’s The Square Studios in London. Quite a controlled and tight sounding live room so you can really hear the sound of this kit and treat it later. For mic pre’s we used a combination of the SSL G-Series and a number of external pre’s including Calrec 1061’s, Valve Telefunken V76, a Neve 1066 and Neve Prisms.
Mixed On SSL-G Series
The kit was mixed on the SSL G-Series console at The Square by Guy Massey. In the past few years Guy has worked with many artists including Bill Fay, Ed Sheeran, Ultrasound, Neil Hannon and Thomas Walsh and Paul McCartney as well as many up and coming acts. In 2010 he won two UK Music Producer Guild awards for engineer of the year and best album. He won engineer of the year again this year.
More Drumdrops Deals
Check out our Route Seventy Sticks sound lbrary in this months deals here
Get The Kit For Free
Head over to the Drumdrops site from 4:00pm GMT tomorrow to grab them
If you own Kontakt then here is an excellent free synth and sequencer plug-in that allows the user to create complex looping arpeggiator patterns and then moprh them. Thanks to community member Glenn Skinner for the tip.
FreeFall is a completely Free version of the powerful Kosmology Sequencing System, which uses 110 Sampled Instruments collected from current Kosmology and Kosmos products to offer a free entry point into the world of Kosmology. Kosmology provides 8 completely separate instances which can be switched in real-time via a specified set of Midi notes. Each instance uses 2 synths with independent Filters, has 7 sequencers with independent clock divides and step amounts as well as 48 assignable parameters. The workflow is enhanced by lots of useful options such as copying, pasting and randomizing and a single instance can be copied to all Instances or to a specific instance. The idea is that you set up the 8 instances and then play them as an instrument as you would with any synthesizer, they are even polyphonic.
Kosmology requires Native Instruments Kontakt 5.3 Full Version (it will only work in Kontakt player for 15 minutes).
Powerful Sequencing Features
- 8 Instances that can be switched on the fly via Midi. each Instance has:control over 48 Distinct Parameters which include Cutoff, Resonance, Filter and Amp Envelopes Envelopes (Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release), Filter Envelope Amounts, Octave, Various A/B Tune options, FX Sends plus more.
- Pitch Sequencer – Offsets the root note by -+12 semitones and can Tie notes and mute themVelocity Sequencer – Velocity in turn can be assigned to both Volume and/or the Filter Cutoff
- 5 assignable Sequencers – each of these sequencers can target any of the 46 available Destinations and can like the other synth parameters can be completely different for each of the 8 instances.
- All sequencers have independent Clock Divisions
- All sequencers have an independent Step Size (maximum 64 steps) which is great for Syncopation
It’s a Bank Holiday weekend in the UK this weekend so in case you have some free time we’ve opened up our Pro Tools Production Tricks video tutorials for free.
When we say an archive, it may take you the weekend to watch them all, the archive list of Pro Tools Production Tricks videos is shown below.
Pro Tools Tutorial Videos
The videos include Producer secrets, power virtual instrument tricks, the basics of many popular plug-ins and many more.
Normally these videos are member only exclusive content, so knock yourself out and find out what so many people sign up as Pro Tools Expert community members. To find out more about membership then clik here.
The Pro Tools Production Tricks Video Archive
- 3 Cool Ways For Using A De-Esser
- 3 Minute Arpeggiator
- 3 Minute Beat Slice
- 3 Minute Drum Kit
- 3 Minute Groove Locking In Pro Tools
- 3 Minute Guitar Sample
- 3 Minute Thicken Vocals In Pro Tools
- 3 Ways To Fix Timing In Pro Tools
- 32 Bit Floating Point - How It Helps?
- 5 Ways To Create New Reverb Effects In Pro Tools
- A Freeware Alternative To VCA Groups For None Pro Tools HD Owners
- A Really Simple Way To Add Interest To Midi Synths And Beats
- ADC in Pro Tools 9 -Why And How
- AIR - Power Remixing 2 Video
- AIR Filter Gate
- AIR Remix Master Class
- Adapt Beats On The Grid
- Add Density & Energy To Your Tracks In Pro Tools
- Add Vibrato To Vocals In Pro Tools
- Alternate Bounce Method
- Amazing Dance Tracks
- Amazing Trick For Creating Big Kicks
- Assigning Drum Pads On The Axiom Pro
- Audition VI Sounds With MIDI Patch Change In Pro Tools - Max OS X
- Automatic Ducking In Pro Tools
- Automation In Pro Tools
- Axiom Pro Introduction
- Basic - Compressor
- Basics - 1 Band Eq
- Basics - 4 Band Eq
- Basics - Gates
It seems in the last couple of years Pro Tools users have gone from having almost no free plug-ins to now having over 100.
Some read the word ‘free’ and then assume it means ‘rubbish’ - in many cases this could not be further from the truth. Many of these free plug-ins are regulalry used by top engineers and producers and find their way onto big hits.
Here are a few of the the ones that are really worth checking out.
Softube Saturation Knob
A favourite of the team here, the Softube Saturation Knob is a great way to add character to the sound of any track or entire mix. Watch our video demonstartion of it here.
Shipped as part of Pro Tools, yet often overlooked by many Pro Tools users, Xpand2 is a very useful rompler.
Xpand2 offers a lot of power and is a great tools for using when writing. It appears on more top tracks than perhaps we realise, Russ spoke to top producer 40 about using Xpand2 here.
We also have a whole video tutorial section of tips for those wanting to get the best from Xpand2.
ClipShifter is a wave-shaping clipping-style limiter that can be used in various points of a mix. It is now in AAX and RTAS beta.
LVC Clipshifter - Free Version
ClipShifter uses what the developer describes as ‘a unique threshold control to change the clipping threshold dynamically based on the transient characteristics of the incoming audio.’
The clipping distortion can be altered to offer various effects ranging from hard, brickwall-style clipping, to softer saturation with compression. Get in deeper and tweak the sdditional parameters to control the even- and odd-order components of the saturation.
ClipShifter is released as a free and paid-for plug-in.
LVC Clipshifter - Paid Version
The paid version adds
- oversampling (2, 4, and 8 times) with selectable double processing,
- mid/side processing, and a 3-way multiband frequency control.
The multiband frequency control can be used to apply clipping to certain frequency bands independently, while the free version applies the audio clipping to the entire frequency spectrum.
LVC Clipshifter - Download
Eventide who were generous enough to give away their $250 Ultrachannel plug-in have released an update to fix some nasty bugs. They have also partnered with Groove 3 to offer some free Eventide Ultrachannel tutorial videos to those who wish to use them.
To get your free Eventide Ultrachannel turorials just go to https://www.groove3.com/str/redeem_code.php and enter in the promo code: eventide30day
Release Notes for UltraChannel Version 2.0.151.
- Fixed several bugs related to session tempo and session restore when tempo sync is on.2.
- Fixed default install location for 32 bit Windows VST. Version 2.0.91.
- Fixed various issues related to Delay loading, tempo sync, and control.2.
- Fixed an issue where EQ wouldn’t pass audio, or would oscillate on plug-in load in some very rare cases.3.
- Fixed pop on plug-in instantiation or session load if XFormer was engaged.4. Improved session tempo compatibility with Logic5.
- Fixed an issue which was causing extreme CPU loading on some processors in some DAWs6.
- Corrected typos and improved User Guide
Our friends over at Avid want to make sure you get the best from the free instruments that come bundled with Pro Tools. Many of them are hidden gems with many features that are easy to overlook.
Pro Tools ships with 6 virtual instruments from AIR, Boom drum machine and sequencer, DB-33 tonewheel organ emulator with rotating speaker simulation, Mini Grand acoustic grand piano, Structure Free sample player (based on AIR Structure), AIR Vacuum monophonic vacuum tube synthesizer, and AIR Xpand!2 multitimbral synth.
So we’ve worked with them to compile a large collection of tips and tricks videos for Xpand, DB33, Boom and many other Pro Tools plug-ins.
Our friends at Dynaudio have released a free monitor calibration guide and test files. The test files are available in stereo and surround and although the guide has been developed for their AIR monitors they tell us that most of the guidelines and the test files can be used on any monitor setup.
This is really helpful for anyone having to mix and deliver to one of the loudness standards like R128 in Europe or ATSC A/85 in US and Canada as calibrated monitoring is a cornerstone for mixing to the new loudness standards and I know of sound mixers who are regularly mixing live programmes to within 0.5dB of the standard because they have calibrated their monitors.
Russ gives a show and tell of Acon Digital Multiply plug-in, the awesome free modulation plug-in. In this video he shows you it in action on guitars, synths and loops.