Entries in AAX (253)
Our sister sites are running the A-Z of their DAWs, we thought it was a nice idea so here goes.
The A-Z of Pro Tools, some letters will yield deeper articles than others, but it will be fun to do.
A is for AAX.
The AAX plug-in format was announced on 20th October 2011, AAX being the acronym for Avid Audio eXtension. AAX was developed to replace the RTAS and TDM plug-in formats which were 32 bit and made it impossible for Avid to create a 64bit DAW.
AAX is a 64 bit plug-in format made exclusively for Pro Tools 10 and 11. 32 bit versions of AAX plug-ins worked in Pro Tools 10. It took a little longer to implement it into Avid’s video editor - Media Compser but as of v8.1 Meda Composer now supports AAX Native plug-ins too.
AAX Native And AAX DSP
There are 2 types of AAX plug-in:
- AAX Native for use in Pro Tools, Pro Tools HD Native and Pro Tools HDX systems
- AAX DSP for use in Pro Tools HDX systems.
With AAX, you can share sessions between DSP-accelerated Pro Tools systems and native-based Pro Tools systems and continue using the same plug-ins. Your sessions will sound exactly the same, regardless of the rig you’re using.
How Many Developers Have Ported To AAX?
AAX has been a huge success for Avid with many vendors porting to AAX Native, there are now several hundred AAX plug-ins and instruments for use in Pro Tools 11.
AAX DSP porting has been less popular with around 50% of developers who made TDM versions of Pro Tools plug-in only porting their TDM plug-ins to AAX native formats. However some other developers have created AAX DSP plug-ins for the first time. In reality there are far more AAX Native plug-ins than there are AAX DSP, this is partly due to the efficiency of the new Avid 64bit audio engine making DSP less of a requirement for many Pro Tools users.
Where I Can Find AAX Plug-ins?
Pro Tools Expert started the first AAX database on the web and we continue to maintain it to make sure Pro Tools users can find out what AAX plug-ins are available, check the AAX plug-in database here
Our friends at Xfer Records have announced Serum, a new Wavetable Synth with a host of extra features. Serum is available for Mac OS X and Windows in VST, AU and AAX plug-in formats.
“The dream synthesizer did not seem to exist: a wavetable synthesizer with low aliasing / high-quality sound, visual and creative workflow-oriented interface, the ability to create / import / edit / morph wavetables, and manipulate these tables further in real-time.”
Wavetable Editor With FFT, Formulas, Draw
A full-blown utility inside the plugin - Serum has a comprehensive wavetable editor built right in, and you can create your own wavetables in a variety of ways. Import audio directly from audio files - Serum has a variety of methods and options for importing + analyzing audio (WAV or AIFF) for breaking it apart into individual waveforms:
- You can import single-cycle wavetables of course, as well as many at once (with in-built sorting options, or manual re-ordering).
- Morph between various wavetables using standard linear interpolation (crossfading) or via harmonic/spectral morphing.
- Draw directly on the waveform, with optional grid-size snapping and a variety of shape tools.
- Generate or modify waveforms using FFT (additive).
- Create or process waveforms using formula functions.
- Processing menu options allow you to do the other tasks you would want, such as apply fades, crossfades, normalize, export, and much more.
Sonivox have announced that their products are now AAX 64 bit and now Pro Tools 11 compatible.
- AU 32/64-bit.
- VST 32/64-bit.
- AAX 64-bit.
- Stand Alone 32-bit.
Updated Sonivox Products:
- Twist 2.2 Spectral Morphing Synthesizer.
- Wobble 2.2 Dubstep Grime Generator.
- Vocalizer Pro 1.2 Vocoder Musical Instrument.
- Big Bang Universal Drums 2.2 Flagship Drum Instrument.
- Big Bang Cinematic Percussion 2.2 Cinematic Percussion Instrument.
- Eighty Eight Ensemble 2.2 Flagship Piano with Splits & Layers.
- Playa 1.4 Flagship Hip Hop Instrument.
- Playa Aggro Electro Boom 1.4 Legendary Hip Hop / Urban Instrument.
- Playa Strings 1.4 Legendary Hip Hop Strings Instrument.
Version 2.0 owners (or Vocalizer Pro/Playa Series Version 1.0) are entitled to a free update. Current owners of earlier versions can purchase an upgrade.
Eventide have announced Ultrareverb, they say it’s the culmination of 35 years of reverb R&D.
What Is UltraReverb
Halls, Chambers, Rooms, Plates, and Ambience derived from Eventide’s flagship hardware processor, the H8000 UltraHarmonizer®
Features Of The New UltraReverb
- Create acoustically natural or other-worldly environments
- Packed with over 300 killer presets for mixing, mastering, post production, and sound design
- Includes Artist Presets designed by top engineers and recording professionals
- No Physical iLok Key required
- Native format for AU, VST, or AAX64 for Mac or Windows
- Session compatible with Eventide Reverb HD/TDM from the Anthology II bundle
Until October 17th 2014 Eventide are offering the UltraReverb for $79 instead of $199.
To celebrate the release of the new AIR Xpand2 with VST and AU support we’ve unlocked the Xpand2 video tutorials section of Pro Tools Expert, making them free for everyone.
Free AIR Xpand2 Video Tutorials
Here is a list of just some of the great content we have for Xpand2.
- Create Amazing Grooves Using Xpand 2
- Turn Xpand 2 Into A Killer Synth
- Xpand Power User - Modulator Automation
- How To Create Saw Stack Sounds In Xpand
- 5 Ways To Change An Electric Piano In Pro Tools
- Create Huge Stacked Sounds In Xpand2
- Synth Tricks In Xpand
- Be An Xpand2 Power Users Part 2
- Create Monster Bass In Pro Tools With Xpand2
- Create Cool Guitars In Pro Tools With Xpand2
- Create Soundscapes Using Xpand2
- Xpand2 The Basics
- AIR Xpand 2 - How To Control Volume On Each Part
- Xpand2 The Basics
- Xpand Arpeggiator
Hundreds More Pro Tools Video Tutorials
If you are new to Pro Tools Expert and want to watch over 500 video tutorials for Pro Tools, plug-ins and other studio related techniques then you can sign up.
Look what I found on the Avid stand at IBC 2014. First is a Multiband Dynamics plug-in
The second is a Sub Harmonic plug-in.
Both plug-ins are being shown here at IBC 2014 as technical previews, which means there is no information on price or when they will be released. They may not even look like this. These are been shown as “look at what we are working on”. Just like Avid Everywhere which is also on show here at IBC, there is no information about price and final feature sets.
One thing that was stressed to me is that they will both be AAX DSP as well as AAX Native which hints at Avid’s frustration at the lack of HDX plug-ins.
Akai have announced their MPC version 1.7 software with a massive amount of new features, one feature that will make Pro Tools users happy is AAX compatibility for Pro Tools 11.
Main Feature Updates For MPC 1.7
- Reworked browser with adjustable volume on sample auditioning
- AAX plugin compatibility with Pro Tools 10 and 11
- Real-time loop-style sample layering, “Direct Record” mode
- Included Hybrid 3 synth
- New mixer architecture with better metering and better control
- Filter the information displayed on the mixer for customized information views
- Improved audio export
- Expanded track automation, with visual feedback
- Multi-processor audio path for better performance
- More keyboard shortcuts
Akai MPC 1.7 Video
The Casio CZ sound is coming to Pro Tools thanks to plug-in developer Oli Larkin.
For those with memories of the 1980s the introduction of the Casio CZ series of synths such as the CZ101 and CZ1000 put Casio on the map with their Phase Distortion synthesis.
The Virtual CZ
The Virtual CZ is a plug-in emulation of the original sound and features;
- Recreates the unique synthesis engine of the CZ synths (it models the flagship CZ-1 but does all the other ones too!)
- Works as a SYSEX editor/librarian for all CZ hardware as well as an emulation
- 2 Phase Distortion oscillators per voice(each has 8 wave shapes, which can be different for alternate cycles)
- 6 loop-able envelope generators per voice(switchable between easy-to-use ADSR and powerful 8-Stage MSEG mode)
- Tempo sync-able LFO for vibrato, with 7 shapes
- Ring Modulation and Noise Modulation
- 32 voice polyphonic/mono/legato modes
- Unison and detuning effects
- Stereo panning effects
- Vintage stereo chorus/ensemble effect
- Microtonal tuning support
- Easy to use interface: all key synthesis functions accessible on the front panel
- Import/export presets for all plugin formats & cross-format preset browser
- Includes over 200 high quality presets plus ability to load thousands of CZ patches online
- Available for OSX and Windows in Standalone, VST2, VST3, Audiounit and AAX formats
Here are a few sound examples of the new CZ plug-in.
Xpand2, the much loved synth that has shipped free with Pro Tools for several generations is about to be set free as a VST and AU version, giving owners of other DAWs the oportunity to use it in their productions.
What Is Xpand2
Xpand!2 is a virtual workstation synthesizer featuring a broad range of sound generation possibilities including multi-sampled instruments as well as FM, wavetable, and virtual analog synthesis.
The settings of all four slots and their respective Parts can be saved as a single Patch. Xpand!2 comes with a set of over 2300 Patches, created by renowned sound designers.
New Versions Of Xpand2 In VST And AU Formats
In the next few weeks Xpand2 will be set free from Pro Tools and ship in the following versions;
- AU and VST 32 and 64 bit for Mac
- VST 32 and 64 bit for Windows PC
- AU and VST - $99.99
- Existing owners of AIEP will be able to purchase for $39.99
- Pro Tools owners wishing to use AU and VST versions will also be subject to the same pricing
- AAX and RTAS versions will remain free built into Pro Tools
The team at Prodyon are giving away a synth a day on their YouTube page.
Today’s synth is very nice giving an organic synth sound which moves over time with the sequencer patterns.
There are plenty of knobs to tweak, so geeks should be in their element.