Pro Tools tips, tricks, support and news for users of Pro Tools. Free Pro Tools video tutorials and free Pro Tools plug-ins. We support both the music and post production community.
We offer advice for users of all versions of Pro Tools both current and legacy formats. We’re independent and are not affiliated with Avid or their associated companies.
In this video James takes a look at the new Friedman amps for the UAD-2 platform by Branworx and Universal Audio. “LETS ROCK” and get some serious heavy tones going.
Loop Loft have teamed up with Adam Audio to offer a great competition which they have called ‘Upgrade Your Studio’. If you enter this competition on the Loop Loft site then you could win a a pair of Adam F7 Monitors and The Master Collection bundle from Loop Loft together worth $2,320.
In addition everyone who enters the compeition will recieve a demo collection of loops from Loop Loft.
The winner will be announced at the beginning of April 2015.
Russ Hughes, Mike Thornton, James Ivey and Julian Rodgers bring you a bumper show catching up with talking points, tips, tricks and questions answered.
Groove 3 Titles We Like
- Winner of An Audient ASP880 8 Channel Microphone Preamplifier And ADC
- Win One Of Ten LVC Audio Limiter Bundles
- Win One Of Two Copies Of Antares New Auto-Tune 8
- Virtual CZ From Plugin Boutique £37 - 35% Discount
- Zplane Vielklang Instant Harmony V2.0 Plug-in £59 - 26% Discount
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
- Audient ASP880/Midas XL48 Shootout - The Results
- Sub £1000/$1500 8 Channel Mic Preamps Round Up
- Air Display Updated To V3 With USB Connectivity To Compete With Duet Display
- G-Technology Release G-Raid Drives Using Enterprise Class 6TB or 8TB Drives
- The Little Things - Our Clients Don’t Know When We’ve Done Them But We Do
- Mackie DL32R Preview At NAMM 2015
- A-Z Of Pro Tools - N Is For New Tracks, Nudge, Numeric Keypad And “N”
- Update on the transition to the new version of the site.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
- Espen Hollund enjoys entering mixing contests and he came across a site run by Brent called Mixing Contests
- David Topple wanted to offer a revolutionary new way of collaborating that he would like to suggest Avid might want to investigate further.
- Garrett Miller has found a backwards compatible issue with the new Slate Digital VCC 2.0, not being able to open projects with VCC v1.0 because VCC 2 is inside VMR.
Questions - Kindly Sponsored by Alchemea
- Lorenzo Arese wants to ask how to be able to compare two selections?
- Johnny Smillie asks because some of us have Slate MTi control surfaces, do they support Touch with Waves ad SSL plug-ins?
- Baz Weston is considering downsizing to an Apogee Thunderbolt Ensemble and wanted to benefit from Russ’s experience with his Ensemble.
- Adrien Maljean is having problems with side chaining and delay compensation and would our advice.
- Glenn Skinner would like our advice on using the latest version of Pro Tools with Mavericks.
Find Of The Week
- Russ - A new plug-in coming from UAD
- Mike - G-Technology Release G-Raid Drives Using Enterprise Class 6TB or 8TB Drives
- James - Mackie DL32R Rack mounted mixer.
- Julian - Has Espen Hollund looked at a Big library of multitracks of all sizes for educational use, all free put together by Mike Senior.
Dan Cooper takes a look at this acoustic electronic drum VI showing the main features and sounds it can produce in and out of a mix context.
What Is Urban Drums?
Urban Drums is a drum kit mixed from various elements, mixed with synthesized drums samples
- 20ʼ Yamaha Bass Drum
- 13ʼ Tama metalwork piccolo Snare
- 12ʼ Hi Tom
- 16ʼ Floor Tom
- 14ʼ Zildjian medium crash
- 14ʼ Zildjian crash
- 13ʼ Paiste Hihat
- 20ʼ Zildjian jazz Ride
Each element was recorded with 3 microphones positions and we added some synth samples, you can adjust the pan, volume or mute of each one independently. You can also click on the elements on the interface while adjusting the microphones. You also have access to a set of presets. You can adjust the following…
- The Mapping Presets: we made some presets of the most popular drums formats (GM, V-DRUMS, IMAP, NSKIT) or you can create yours.
- The Midi Learn: you can remap any element to any key quickly by pressing the current key of the element you want to move, clicking on Midi Learn and the pressing the target key.
- The Hihat controller: we implemented an advanced hihat behavior, by default on C#2, the sample triggered will depend on the value of the controller, just like on a real Hihat.
- Overheads: here you can choose wether the overhead microphone position is mono or stereo.
- The Sensitivity will set the minimum volume for velocity 1 and give you access to all the dynamics that you want.
- The Reverb. We use a convolution reverb and you can adjust the amount of reverb applied to the whole drumset.
Last month we ran a very popular competition where the prize was an Audient ASP880 8 channel mic preamp and ADC.
We are very pleased to announce that the winner of the Audient ASP880 is Tiago Matias from Portugal. Tiago told us…
When I subscribed to this contest I dreamed about how easy could my life be with this preamp because I do not have 8 mic-pre, do not have 8 line inputs and I need them both, but I’ve got no budget at all. The ASP880 will very usefull for live act recording and from now on will bring a human feel to my recordings. It’s an awesome preamp. Thank you Audient!
I think Russ would agree with you Tiago as when we reviewed the Audient ASP880, he liked it so much he bought it. More recently Julian did a shootout between the Midas XL48 and the Audient ASP880 and you can take a look and listen for yourself and then see the results of Julian’s shootout too.
Community member Julius Chan has sent us this handy guide to getting a 2006 Mac Pro to run the lastest Mac OS X Yosemite.
Here’s his helpful guide.
This month we are giving you the chance to win one of ten limiter bundles from LVC Audio. The Limiter Bundle consists of two limiter plug-ins, Limited T & Limited-Max.
LVC Audio describe the Limited-T plug-in as a character track limiter, useful for many aspects of mixing. It can be used anywhere a traditional limiter is needed. Additionally, Limited-T is capable of adding “glue” to busses, and to impart certain warm characteristics on single tracks. It all starts with a clean and transparent compressor/limiter engine.
We recently reviewed the new Auto-Tune 8 from Antares and also toook time to try and understand a little more about what happens in the design and developement process for a plug-in when we interviewed Dr. Andy Hildebrand, Founder/Chief Scientist of Antares and the creator of Auto-Tune.
Now you have an opportunity to win one of two copies of this iconic pitch correction plug-ins. Fill in the form below and you might be one of two lucky people to win a copy of Auto-Tune 8.
Waves have released their new deals for this month under the banner of March Mixing. You can check out the full list of special offers available on their Specials page for March but here are a few we would like to highlight.
- Waves Diamond Bundle $1199, normally $3000.
- Waves WLM Plus Loudness Meter plug-in $199, normally $400.
- Watch our Show & Tell Review on the Waves WLM Plus
- Waves dbx 160 Compressor Limiter Plug-in $99, normally $150.
- Waves Kramer Master Tape $99, normally $250.
Harmonise your melody with one single click - loading a single-voiced audio file - and create natural-sounding background choirs and brass arrangements.
Watch as Dan Cooper puts this new version of Vieklang from Zplane through its paces to see if it can deliver great sounding harmonies.
We are able to offer the community Vielklang 2 for just £59, that’s 26% discount on their current price, but only for a limited period.
Vielklang Instant Harmony from Zplane generates harmonies with up to 4 voices. It detects the best fitting harmonies for each individual input melody, and automatically synthesizes up to four voices with the voices not merely running in parallel but with their voicings selected to sound most natural (voice leading).