James, Julian and Alan chat through issues and highlights from the week's news as well as the usual Pro Tools tips, tricks and community questions answered.
Podcast Sponsor - Smart Studio
Our sponsors for July are Smart Studio. Smart Studio are disrupting the studio design and build industry with their new modular concept. They design and build your studio off-site and then assemble it in your chosen space. It reduces both time and cost of building a professional recording studio and means you are up and running and making money faster! Visit the Smart Studio website to find out more.
- Blue Cat Audio Destructor: This month we are giving you the opportunity to get 30% off Blue Cat's powerful distortion and amp plug-in Destructor - Get For £63
- Blue Cat Audio MB-7 v3 Mixer: This month we are giving you the opportunity to get 25% off Blue Cat's clever MB-7 v3 mixer plug-in that allows users to host VST and AU plug-in in Pro Tools - Get For £85
- Also, don’t forget to check out deals from our Partners in the Partner Deals section on our Deals page.
Talking Points Kindly Sponsored By Universal Audio
Offer extended until 31st August 2017 - Buy any award-winning Apollo rackmount audio interface and get an analog dream studio filled with up to $3,500 of genuine UAD plug-ins from Studer, Lexicon, AKG, Pultec, Fairchild, Teletronix, and more! Buy an Apollo Duo or Apollo Firewire and get a plugin bundle worth $1200, buy an Apollo 8P, Apollo 8 Quad, or Apollo 16 and get a plugin bundle worth $2000, or buy any 2 Apollo rack mounted interfaces, and get a plugin bundle worth $3500. For more details please visit the Universal Audio website.
Women Working In Audio
We want to say that whilst we thought our article on Women Working In audio would create some interest, we had no idea how big that would be. We now have some fantastic opportunities that have arisen from the article and we want to get some special guests involved to help us unpack this subject even further and we are currently working behind the scenes to organise that.
- Tracking - How To Improve The Second Most Important Part Of Your Production Process
- Audio Professionals - Taking Care Of Your Most Valuable Asset - Your Ears
- Win one of three copies of TrainYourEars, EQ Edition 2, frequency ear training software, which is a standalone application for both Mac and PC, designed to help you understand equalisers and frequencies like never before.
- Don’t forget to check out our Win page, to discover more opportunities to win pro audio software and gear from our Partners, in the Partner Win section, on our Win page.
Community Feedback Kindly Sponsored by RSPE Audio Solutions
If you are looking to give your studio the power to Create, Edit, Mix, Master and Deliver Dolby Atmos content, then check out our friends at RSPE Audio Solutions, as for over 15 years, they have been a proud Dolby Professional dealer and installer, and they are one of a handful of dealers who can supply the Dolby Atmos Mastering Suite.
- Alex Reverberi wanted to share his frustration about support and subscription plans as he was without Pro Tools for 48 hours and that is a long time for a professional.
- Khavel X following watching one of our videos on the Sontronics Aria and look advice on what mic preamp to use with it.
This Week’s Featured Pro Tools Expert Interview
This week’s Pro Tools Expert Interview is one from the archives in which Mike chats with Brian Daly, who is the co-owner of DNA Music Labs and is the brains behind the Hotkey Matrix. In this interview, Brian shares how he got into the industry, his experiences as a studio engineer, then working with Apple making loops for Garageband, including the music at the start of every podcast before developing the Hotkey Matrix. They also discuss the human interface between Pro Tools and the user including the Softube Console 1.
Questions From The Community
- Quan Yeomans asks “if anyone has advice or real world experience on one of the newly released iMacs 27" 4.2 64GB RAM machines on Sierra with the latest version of Pro Tools? I'm looking to upgrade a sadly 16GB memory-bound MacBook Pro 2013, as I've started doing a lot more Scoring to TV and the video engine use coupled with ever larger Kontakt sample libraries, is causing a lot of 'out of RAM' errors. Any thoughts greatly appreciated”.
- Artranmusic asks “Before buying, I wanted to know how good the Arturia AudioFuse interface is and if it complements Pro Tools 10 HD”?
Source Connect Now
As you may know, we are spread out around the UK & Europe when we record the podcast. In the past, we have used a variety of internet based solutions so we could hear each other. We have settled on Source Connect Now which gives us ISDN equivalent quality audio using a Chrome browser, no software to install. You can get a free account from Source Elements.
Find Of The Week
- James - YouTube Space London.
- Julian - UAD Fender ‘55 Tweed Deluxe - check out our review
- Alan - The first recording in 8dB Somerset - this one!