In this exclusive mixing tutorial extract from pureMix, Andrew Scheps talks us through breaks down the bass processing he used on the single “Bang Bang” from Green Day’s recent self-produced record Revolution Radio.
This free extract is part of a complete tutorial package in which Andrew walks you through every track, every plug-in and most importantly every decision he made to bring the song to life and ready to rock radio stations worldwide.
Grammy winner Andrew Scheps breaks down the bass processing he used on Green Day's latest single "Bang Bang"
Throughout the complete 1.5 hour tutorial, you will hear before and after comparisons and learn the techniques a multi-platinum mix engineer uses to amplify the band’s legendary punk rock energy on their 12th studio album.
Learn How To:
- Create a larger-than-life soundstage and still maintain a punk rock attitude and energy
- Find a sonic vision for the mix that fits with the artist’s concept and direction
- Loud, punchy and huge sounding drums without using samples
- Apply a mixing template for a consistent sound and easy workflow
- EQ and balance doubled heavy guitar tones
- Fill out the mix with a bass tone that grounds the entire mix and also cuts through on small speakers
- Create a distinct and clear vocal tone that adds attitude and dimension to the mix
- Add stereo bus processing to nail the mix before sending it off to mastering
- Get a loud, fast and aggressive sounding mix without making it sound squashed, smashed or losing speed/energy
Whether you’re a fan of the band or curious to see how a real hit record gets mixed, the full tutorial takes you deep inside the process and techniques Andrew used to nail Green Day’s signature stadium and radio rock sound while staying true to their punk rock roots.
How To Watch The Full Video
You can watch his entire video tutorial in one of two ways. You can buy this video for $41 or watch this video and many more by signing up to a pureMix subscription, which are available from $24.99 per month to get advanced audio tutorials where Grammy winning engineers teach you mixing concepts by showing you their techniques and tricks while mixing song by Pharrell, Imagine Dragons, Ziggy Marley and more.
If you would like to watch more free tutorials you can sign up for free at pureMix or browse the entire pureMix tutorial video library and chose the individual videos that appeal to you.