In this excellent free video tutorial from Yamaha Commercial Audio, Patrick Killianey explains how domain names get resolved to IP addresses through the Domain Name Service or DNS.
Networking Explanations For Audio People
This video starts with a very accessible overview of what DNS is and then delves deeper in to exactly it works. To make it more digestible I have made notes on the content with timings.
- 0.15 - What is DNS?
- 1.00 - Refresh of Core network settings: IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS
- 1.39 - How does DNS work?
- 2.58 - Nowadays network devices usually contact the router for DNS queries - Why is this?
- 3.40 - Walkthrough of DNS query using router.
- 4.12 - What are the advantages of hosting DNS of the router?
- 5.30 - Recap